A Peterson Punch

I consider the writings of Pastor Eugene Peterson as my personal punch in the stomach. He has the unique ability to call myself and others on accepted and seemingly harmless behaviors that make little sense when considering God's plan for each of our lives. In the book "Living the Message" he writes this under the caption "An Odd Phenomenon":

The puzzle is why so many people live so badly. Not so wickedly, but so inanely. Not so cruelly, but so stupidly. There's little to admire and less to imitate in the people who are prominent in our culture. We have celebrities, but not saints. Famous entertainers amuse a nation of bored insomniacs. Infamous criminals act out the aggressions of timid conformists. Petulant and spoiled athletes play games vicariously for lazy and apathetic spectators. People aimless and bored amuse themselves with trivia and trash. Neither the adventure of goodness nor the pursuit of righteousness get headlines...

No other culture has been as eager to reward either nonsense or wickedness.


Nothing like a good body punch to take the wind out of my lungs. I enter a plea guilty to celebrating stupidity with the masses---must get to work on changing...

2 comments:

mappchik said...

Thank you for posting this quote, along with your reaction. I have not often seen this line of thinking expressed so cleanly. Peterson's assessment is pure wake-up call.

Peterson's books are not the type which would normally pop up on my radar. It's in my Amazon shopping cart now.

Slamdunk said...

thanks for the feedback Mappchik.