Price is Right Rules

I grew up watching the television game show “The Price is Right.” Airing at 10 am Central Time, my brother and I would enjoy the last watchable show in the summer before the three networks (before cable) tried to immerse us in soap operas for the rest of the afternoon. Since I am now home some with the little ones during the daytime, I have the Price is Right on while I am making them lunch--almost like in the old days.

While enduring a long snow and ice drive home from work yesterday, I enjoyed listening to ESPN Radio fill-in host Erik Kuselias’ funny discussion about the Price is Right. The witty Kurselias’ is a lawyer by trade, but switched careers a few years ago after enjoying sports talk so much. Evidently, a contestant recently guessed the exact price of his Price is Right showcase-—something that has not happened in the 30 years of the program. You can see it here:






Conspiracy theorists are chiming in that the contestant must have cheated to guess such an odd number, but I am more apt to believe that after 30 years and thousands of chances, it was likely to eventually happen.

Anyway, Kuselias discussed how his family uses the phrase “Price is Right Rules” meaning that you are required to guess as close to the actual number as possible without going over for certain discussions or games. He then offered two scenarios when Price is Right Rules apply. First, when your wife asks the question: “Hun, how much do you think I weigh?” This potentially dangerous situation requires a skillful answer that does not (repeat does not) go higher than the actual pound total. Second, he said the rule applies when a woman asks you to guess her age. If she is 40, your guess better not be 41 or above. Guess 35, 25 or 18 years old, but say “50” and you might lose some teeth.

I’ll have to think about other suitable applications for this wise rule. For now, I am going to conduct an exhaustive grid search of our downstairs living quarters in an attempt to recover that illusive television remote control. No location should be deemed impossible--including behind the toilet, in the play dough basket, and behind the sofa.

0 comments: