Tuber of the Week #13: Riding a Wave


Running after the two year old future track start along the soft white beach sand this morning, I saw a trio of eager long boarders in the surf. Patiently, the young guys wait. Their best hope today is to catch a wave that allows them to stand on the board for five seconds before plopping into the cold ocean.

The waves here are placid for the most part. Nothing like watching the professionals on Maui’s North Shore be thrown through the air on fiberglass missiles. Despite the non-threatening appearance of the ocean today, I still remember how overwhelmed we human beings can be versus some water.

Below is an amazing video in this week’s Tuber of the Week (fitting since it has a vacation feel to it).



That wave is 65 feet or so high, and the surfer, Mike Parsons, illustrates the physical potential in us “insignificant” folks.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Wow. That was awesome/terrifying.

mrs. fuzz said...

Very cool and yes, terrifying. I tried surfing once and couldn't believe how hard it was. i can't believe the height. 65 feet! Do they get bigger than that?

Natalie said...

That was amazing! In fact, this goes to show how embedded I am as a mommy, but it reminded me of the cartoon Surf's Up which had penguins re-enacting true events. Incredibly well made and hilarious movie if you haven't seen it.

I've lived land-locked my whole life though, so you won't be catching me on any of those waves (I wouldn't mind the vacation though!)

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the comments. MF: I looked into your question and read that the waves on the North Shore of Mauki can reach 70 ft. There are other big wave places in the world including Tahiti, Cali, and Austrailia. The biggest wave known to hit land evidently struck Alaska in 1958 and was approximately 100 feet high.

fayezie said...

hope you all are enjoying the sand and the sun!

Jayne said...

I love, love, love watching surfers. The closest I've got is boogie boarding and I know that when you catch a wave just right the feeling of flying across the water is beyonds belief.
Thanks for this - this starts my day off just right. :).

Anastasia said...

a moment of zen. thanks!