Pick-up Lines and Crime


From a password-protected news article (that I am unable to link):

…An 18-year-old man was arrested after he pretended to be a plain-clothes cop making an arrest in a park in order to get the contact information from two teen girls sitting nearby, police said.

Thomas Lee Armstrong's plan was allegedly foiled after the girls demanded to see a badge — which Armstrong could not produce — then called the real police to report him.

The two girls, both 17, were sitting on park swings at around 7:40 p.m. Friday when they saw Armstrong tackle another young man and put him in handcuffs nearby, police said. Armstrong, Northumberland, walked over to the girls and told them he was "Officer Jackson," and he just arrested the other man on charges of violating a protective order, police said.

He told the girls he would need to get their names and "information" as witnesses.

After the girls said "no" and demanded a badge, Armstrong walked away.

He tried to come back, this time with his buddies, but the girls ran away and called police before he could, police said.

Armstrong was charged with impersonating a police officer, harassment and disorderly conduct, police said.
Perhaps, Mr. Armstrong should have tried these beaut pick-up lines with the girls at the park instead:

• Are you from Tennessee? {No} Because you are the only 10 I see…

• Is it hot in here or is it just you?

• Did it hurt? You know when you fell from heaven and landed here.

• Are you a parking ticket? Cause you got FINE written all over you.

• If I could rearrange the alphabet, I would put U and I together.
Then again, maybe an arrest with his approach was not such a bad outcome.

8 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

Great minds think alike! I wrote about pick-up lines today too. I've heard the Tennessee one before, but you don't hear it as much here in Tennessee.

mappchik said...

Depending on how you look at it, his plan worked wonderfully, as he did get picked up.

Before linking over to read Stephanie's blog post on pickup lines, I had thought to myself "what's wrong with saying 'Hi, I'm Tom'?" - but since she said it first, I'll have to say "yeah - what she said."

J. J. in Phila said...

Most of mine are not appropriate for a family site. ;)

Natalie said...

I guess that after reading Gavin deBecker's amazing book, Protecting the Gift, that would have freaked me out at molestation potential instead of an "innocent and extremely corny" pick-up line.

I got a big kick out of your Plan B pick up lines, though! I've actually had a few of them used on me before, which usually resulted in an eye-roll on my part and just walking away because anyone not clever enough to make an actual conversation wasn't worth my time.

Actually, that's a lie. My now husband used the line, "So, have you seen any good movies lately?" on me in the produce section of the supermarket. I love sharing that story because it makes him look like such a cornball (he's very full of himself, usually!).

Oz Girl said...

Oh those p/u lines are hysterical... but the suspect in question sounds like a creep and I'm sure he was up to no good!

angelcel said...

Hehe...I guess he won't be trying *that* again any time soon! :D

Cindy Beck said...

Thanks for the post. I actually thought the pickup line, "Did it hurt? You know when you fell from heaven and landed here," was pretty cute. Obviously a line, but still cute.

Who was not cute was Mr. Armstrong. Glad the girls had the presence of mind to call the police, because the guy sounds more like a predator than an ordinary Joe.

pick up lines for girls said...

Love your blog.