Birthday Gift Regrets?


As a birthday gift this year, we bought the nine-year-old boy a tetherball game set.

For my non-North American readers who may not be familiar with tetherball or for those Americans who have blocked out memories of elementary school, tetherball features two players standing on opposing sides of a 10 foot stationary pole, and using their hands to hit a ball that is hung from a rope attached to the pole. The first player to wrap the ball around the pole is the winner.

Anyway, we cemented the the base attachment and setup the removable pole in the middle of our backyard. The kids have enjoyed playing with the tetherball set at least initially--the oldest boy punching the heavy ball around the poll and the little boy figuring out that if he wrapped the ball's rope around the poll, he could sit on the ball and spin through the air as the rope untangled (kids are so creative).

The Mrs. was very happy with the purchase; that is until yesterday when she was multi-tasking while walking through the yard and forgot about the tetherball's impact zone. She was rewarded with a flying yellow tetherball strike to the side of her head.

After shaking off the cobwebs, she has been dealing with a persistent headache since the injury. We talked about concussions, relived our own current concussion count (at least: me=4, she=2), and she spoke with Dr. dad about it, and fortunately he does not believe it is serious.

With the good luck that this birthday gift has brought to our family, I will suggest something a little less dangerous in the future--maybe a pump-action BB gun for the youngster's tenth birthday.

Note: Picture is courtesy of Wiki.

14 comments:

Natalie said...

Good advice for my kiddies' future gifts!

Thanks for the sweet comment on my post. I really appreciate the kind words!

Meadowlark said...

Holy Cow! I remember how much it hurts to get thwacked in the head with those things. But you know with a bb gun, somebody will get their eye shot out... just sayin'
:)

mrs. fuzz said...

For some reason, I knew where this post was heading. As soon as I read "teatherball", I knew this would somehow end with a head injury. Love that game, but the picture that comes to my mind is arms wrapped around my head, hunched down to the ground.

Stephanie Faris said...

I never played tetherball. We did play wiffle ball but that wasn't quite the same thing!

Bob said...

heers... Fun story!!!

Cindy Beck said...

I'm so sorry the missus got whapped in the head. I know it's really not funny, but somehow, the way you wrote it, including the "score" for the concussions, made me laugh.

Hope her head is better now!

Oh ... thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting, too.

mappchik said...

Good timing on this tale of warning - was trying to figure out a good spot for tetherball in our yard this weekend.

Maybe my initial plan should be revised, and it can be installed a little farther away from my gardening area(s)?

Kudos to your younger son on his outside-the-box thinking, by the way.

Sandra G. said...

Sore noggins as a result of getting wacked with a tether ball are not fun, but thanks for the laugh anyways.

How about lawn darts?

fayezie said...

that is awesome! my goodness those were good old times... my old elementary school recently held a tetherball tournament for 80's alumni.

angelcel said...

Hehe, I haven't ever been concussed by a tetherball but I have *innumerable* times stood on lego with my bare feet. Does that count? (It hurts like hell) :)

Slamdunk said...

ML: Thanks for the suggestion. Since the kid and the Mrs.' birthday are in the same month, I could get related gifts: the bb gun for the boy and a riot helmet with protective visor for mom.

AC: Agreed--lego stepping is awful. Also, the kids puzzle pieces with the thin red points on them get me every time.

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

My gosh, you and the Mrs. have had that many concussions between you? You lead dangerous lives.

Slamdunk said...

Katherine: Too be honest, I am just clumsy. Most of mine were football related anyway.

fayezie said...

ditto the legos!