You Know.. about that Facebook Msg for Money?


After the email password theft stories in the news this week, the FBI is also warning users of scams involving stolen account information related to social networking sites like Facebook.

The warning was issued after Internet theft incidents like this one reported in Missouri:

...Jayne Scherrman, of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, was the unfortunate victim of a scam that turned her compassion and trust into a $4,000 profit, the AP reports. A still unknown crook hacked the Facebook account of Jayne's friend Grace Parry and began to send Jayne messages, purporting to be Grace and claiming that she and her husband had been detained in London and were in need of money.

Jayne figured if the couple could reach her only by Facebook, then they were in dire straits, indeed, and quickly wired $600 as per the scammer's instructions. As is common in these kinds of schemes, subsequent messages were sent requesting additional funds.

In this case, the huckster blamed the exchange rate when explaining the discrepancy between the funds needed and the amount initially requested.

All in all, Jayne eventually sent $4,000 via Western Union to the impostor before realizing that she had fallen victim to a scam. On August 26th, she alerted the authorities...
I don't think criminals would be rewarded by contacting my relatives and friends with a phony story about me being stuck overseas and needing money.

Now, some of my relatives might pay to have me stay overseas...

7 comments:

Meadowlark said...

At my house, we laugh about grandparents falling for the "Gramma, I'm in jail and need you to wire me money" scam. 'Cause my mom would say "You dumb ass, if you're in jail you deserve to be there" or even worse "CALL YOU PARENTS" :)

:)

Midlife Jobhunter said...

"Now, some of my relatives might pay to have me stay overseas... "


Hhahahahahahahahahha!

angelcel said...

Funnily enough I've had a large number of hits via my Facebook account this week...so now you're scaring me that someone is rootling around, up to no good. Maybe I'm right to be so paranoid!

J. J. in Phila said...

Yet another good reason not to talk to my family. ;)

This scam has been around for a few months.

mappchik said...

If this gets posted twice - sorry. Blogger timed out while publishing comment... I think.

Meadowlark, I am pretty sure my mom's reply would be close to what your mom would tell your children... and word-for-word what my dad would say. :)

Stephanie Faris said...

THAT is pretty scary!

Natalie said...

This was on Dr. Phil, actually. I don't really like the show and hardly watch it, but while visiting my parents one day, this was on. The real clincher was that the friends admitted they'd wire the $$ all over again because they're friends, no questions asked. Sheesh!

Dr. Phil's response? "You're not going to see that money ever again."

The friends just shrugged their shoulders. Still leaves me scratching my noggin'