More Honest Scrap


Thanks (I think) to Christopher for the Honest Scrap Award.

In compliance with the rules, I nominate the following seven great bloggers for the same award:

Mappchik, Expat (oops, looks like he received it in August), BobKat, Sean F., JJ (don’t think the Centre Daily Times would appreciate you deviating from your charged blog topic), Katherine MG., and the fantastic Angelcel.

Also, here are ten things about me:

1) Despite living in several places in the US as a military brat, if I had been asked in undergraduate where I planned to live, the Northeastern US (where I am now), would be dead last. Even the Mrs., who is a native of the state we reside, has to agree with my comments about how unfriendly the people are and the cold weather being an annoyance.

2) In my junior year of high school, a college baseball coach (from a tiny college in Nebraska) called the house and was trying to recruit me for his team. I thanked him for the call, but had to laugh that he was either intoxicated when he saw me play or he mistook me for another player on the team. I was a good contact hitter with speed, but my lollipop arm is best suited for throwing dirty shirts in the laundry hamper.

3) I was lucky to be hired by the first police department that I applied to. Each agency is different in what makes a good candidate, but at larger agencies, where those selecting have some leeway once applicants are assigned a rating, a good GPA can make a difference. Whatever major a student pursues, advising him/her to excel academically is a no-brainer.

4) I met the Mrs. through my dog; which is odd because she is not a dog person.

5) My parents met and were married in Somalia. My father was an active-duty Marine and in charge of security at the American embassy (which no longer exists there). My mom worked for the CIA-—which, after leaving, she was not permitted to list on a resume for decades.

6) I believe that I know a little about a lot of things, and a lot about nothing.

7) At a football practice near the end of my senior season in high school, a very quiet assistant coach that I respected a great deal, reprimanded me in front of the team during wind sprints. Among the things he shouted: “Slam, you are the biggest underachiever on this team!” To this day, I can relive that exact moment--I see the yellow of the grass, the setting of the October sun, the other coaches staring at me, and the pounding of my feet as I ran faster-—this criticism continues to motivate me today as I can still hear the coach’s shrill voice.

8) I like to think that I do well by being prepared. I tend to immerse myself in research looking at the pros and cons so that I can argue a perspective effectively.

9) Since becoming a father several years ago, I define a good pair of pants or a pullover by the number of pockets for holding stuff (diapers, juice, Kleenexes, etc.) that is included.

10) Recently, I saw a family Thanksgiving picture taken when I was eleven or twelve years old. Of the ten relatives there, four are deceased and three I have not talked with directly more than once in twenty years. This disappointing revelation certainly puts the upcoming holiday in perspective, and emphasizes the need for me to treasure every moment of time with family.

15 comments:

J. J. in Phila said...

Well, I'll do it here, as opposed to the CDT, though some of it has been mentioned in passing.

1. My initials are really J. J.

2. I've been elected to local public office three times, all before my 30th birthday.

3. I suffer from spondylolisthesis and spinal stenosis, a lower back condition; I post while laying on the floor.

4. I have a degree from Penn State.

5. I am retired as a welfare case worker.

6. Of my 8 great grandparents, 5 were not born in the US.

7. I have documented ancestry that has lived in Pennsylvania for more than 250 years.

8. Though not documented, I possibly have ancestry that has lived in Pennsylvania since the last ice age.

9. My father was my legal guardian for 18 years; I was his legal guardian for 22 years.

10 About three months ago, I won a national award writing for a scholarly paper that had nothing to do with missing persons' cases.

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the comment JJ, and congrats on your award.

J. J. in Phila said...

No congratulations on the spondylolisthesis and spinal stenosis?

That is, indirectly, how I won the parking ticket.

:)

Meadowlark said...

#5 - Again, wish your father a Happy Birthday. I've been watching a Marine I know who's now MSG in San Salvador... he has more fun than should be legal. And he gets PAID for it. Your father would TOTALLY understand. ;)

Enjoy you ever time you post, and NOT just 'cause of the obvious. (son of a Marine) tee heeee

Christopher said...

#5 has the potential to end up as a movie script.

Natalie said...

#4 sounds like an interesting story! I met my spouse in the produce department of the local grocery store.

I really like how you worded #6 and can completely relate!

Thanks for sharing these honest things and it's nice to get to know a little more about you!

Midlife Jobhunter said...

9) Since becoming a father several years ago, I define a good pair of pants or a pullover by the number of pockets for holding stuff (diapers, juice, Kleenexes, etc.) that is included.

I like #9 the best!

mrs. fuzz said...

Great list! It's been fun getting to know some more personal things about everyone. So I think like natalie, I would like to know a little more about #4 . . .

and #5 sounds so exciting and exotic and romantic and all that! What christopher said.

angelcel said...

Fascinating stuff. :)

4. I've read that 'walking the dog' and 'shopping in the supermarket' are the two prime places for meeting the opposite sex.

5. Oh wow...Cool job Mum!!! :D

7. Mean, but thank goodness it had a profoundly *good* effect.

9. This makes me laugh because when we first had children we couldn't get over how much 'stuff' one small person required when we went anywhere.

10. Spot on. I came from a dysfunctional family so my family moments are things I treasure.

Thanks for passing this award on to me. :)

Erin said...

Congrats on your award! I'm interested in knowing more about some of these things too...

mappchik said...

Oh dear! Between the last couple levels of this award, most of the blogs I read have been tagged. This is like being the last person on your street to be phantom'd / boo'd... will have to branch out into the n'hood.

Guess I'd better hurry up, and get to scrounging my reading list for victims - I mean honorees.

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the kind words all.

I agree MC.

Candice said...

I really enjoyed reading your honest scrap. It's hard to write 10 things about yourself, isn't it? I had no idea what to say! I was really touched by your #10. And of course as a parent myself, I chuckled at #9.

Slamdunk said...

Thanks Candice--I'll have to check out your list.

carma said...

well, now #7 makes me incredibly sad. People just don't seem to concern themselves with how much an impact their words can have on somebody's life.

Continue to prove the turd wrong - that's your best revenge :D