What Makes a Picture More than a Picture


I had several items to pick from for today's entry, but will go with an unplanned one after a visit over at William Twitty's photography site.

His post features this image that was the day before yesterday's winner of National Geographic's Photo of the Day competition.



Often, excellent photographs are backed by a powerful message. Gemma Collier's fantastic winning entry had this text attached:

My grandfather was born and raised on our New Zealand farm. He and my grandmother were married nearly 60 years. Preparing for a photo in the barley, my grandmother lovingly reached up to adjust his hat. This was his last harvest.
The photo, coupled with Chuck Mullis' reference to a blog post entitled "There's Always a Day Before", makes for an inspirational weekend reflection topic.

13 comments:

Erin said...

How lovely.

Meadowlark said...

As a girl who grew up on a wheat ranch, this moves me to tears.

Christopher said...

Love it. Heartwarming. And an aesthetically and emotionally perfect photo. Hard to achieve both goals with one shot.

copswife said...

Wow. So beautiful.

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

Thank you for the chills. Amazing what pictures and words can do for the soul.

angelcel said...

Wow, beautiful photo and very poignant text.

Natalie said...

It reminds me of my grandparents! They just celebrated 64 years this week and are eternal sweethearts (she still sits right next to him whenever they drive the caddy). They're wonderful examples of keeping the courtship alive, no matter how long the marriage has been.

What a great image.

Stephanie Faris said...

Awwww. It is an incredible picture but the story makes it even more powerful.

Binky Bink said...

What a beautiful picture - I love seeing a love that thrives for years and years. Thanks for sharing it with us!

keynaphotography said...

Just beautiful.

Lipstick said...

Oh this is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.

vixstar1314 said...

they say a picture is worth a thousand words and I totally believe this. Very nice picture, and blog.
Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment too, much appreciated. :D

Travel Nurse Extraordinaire said...

I totally agree, the stories add so much to the magic of a photo. National Geographic is my favorite facebook poster. I love seeing their photos. Always have since I was a child.