Dude, My Luggage!

Note: I need another day for my next missing person post on Kathleen McBroom.

In the meantime...
_________________________________________________________________________________

If it is not the threat of H1N1 to dissuade one from flying, perhaps it is the fear that you and your luggage will not arrive at the same destination:

Authorities say a Waddell couple has been indicted in the theft of nearly 1,000 pieces of luggage from baggage claim carousels at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

Maricopa County prosecutors say the 45-count indictment was handed up by a grand jury on Nov. 12 and announced Thursday. It charges 61-year-old Keith King and his 38-year-old wife Stacy Legg King with theft, burglary and trafficking in stolen property.

Phoenix police arrested the couple on Nov. 2. They believe the Kings had been taking luggage from the airport for at least a year.

Police say the Kings' house northwest of Phoenix contained 14 rooms and had stolen luggage and personal belongings piled from floor to ceiling. Many of the bags had been stripped of any identifying information...
I bet airline execs took deep and loud breaths while singing in harmony, "see we did not lose all of those bags on our own."

Fourteen rooms piled to the ceiling with over 1,000 stolen items?

Let's all mark our calendars for December 2010, when the Phoenix PD and Maricopa County officials host one humdinger of a yard sale/auction to purge their inventory of all this unclaimed property.

9 comments:

mrsofficer said...

wow makes you wanna do a road trip everywhere!

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
Were they baggage handlers? Or just people that showed up at the carousel?

Man, can't have a nail file, can't get your luggage! That's some security disconnect!

Ann T.

Javajune said...

Wow, I'm imagining all the things that might be in that lot- intriguing! Crazy people do crazy things! I only check a bag when I have no other choice. I hate the thought of losing everything but I never imagined this scenario.
xo-jj

Stephanie Faris said...

Eeek. I'm so glad I rarely fly. But when I do, I always try to carry my luggage on. The problem is, more and more people are doing that these days and I've noticed airlines very quickly run out of space above and have to stow your bag beneath anyway. Plus it slows everyone down to have to wait for them to stow their luggage. I personally think that's why airline delays are at an all-time high now that airlines have started charging for checked baggage. EVERYONE is trying to carry as much on as they can.

Slamdunk said...

@ Ann T.: Good question. I thought I knew, but researched the King's a little more and found that they evidently were not employed by the airlines, airport, or with any subcontractors.

According to this article, Mr. King just walked in off the street.

I have not flown much in the past few years so perhaps someone else can provide better insights on current airport security measures. At the airports I did fly, the baggage claim area was open to anyone--I can't remember needing anything to pick-up a bag.

A Doc 2 Be said...

I, long ago in a life very different from today, divorced my luggage each week somewhere on a direct, Sunday evening flight between Minneapolis and Raleigh.

After 16 weeks of divorcing said luggage, I believe the papers were drawn up in Detroit for that's where my luggage was flown in from each week on Monday morning. The final papers were delivered to me on a Thursday night as I left Raleigh, on another direct flight back to Minneapolis.

It should have been no surprise that I landed. My luggage was not so lucky as it sat alone, and cold, somewhere in... Detroit!

Natalie said...

I like your new look!

I found this post particularly hilarious because I went to the airport with my kids to pick up my brother. (I don't think I'll bring the kiddies next time...)

I've always wondered how often(and easily) luggage could get stolen from the carousel. Thanks for answering the question!

Dan said...

Aww, c'mon. They were just planning on opening the regions first used luggage store.

Remember back in the old das when you had to show the stub matching the tag on the bag before they'd let you carry the bag off. Seems that particular cost cutting move that eliminated such checks might not have been the best move. {*grin*}

Pia said...

gosh, if i found out i lost my luggage, i might probably go nuts. haha! i could just imagine how the others might have felt. for the kings, are they just doing this for kicks? crazy!