One Courageous Teen

If have not added Jessica Watson's blog to your daily reading, it is worth a look.

Jessica is trying to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world non-stop.

Despite having a few years on her, the young woman's journey is something I won't be trying anytime soon.

Well, there is some fear of the open ocean and one other little issue: that I barely have the water-faring skills to navigate a paddleboat around a duck pond.

In stark contrast, this 16-year old Australian has been at sea for two months and has traveled about 7,000 miles. She is in daily contact with her family and others assisting her with the technical portion of the voyage.

But Jessica is still alone on her thirty-three-and-a-half foot yacht, The Pink Lady.

Below is an image from her post today.

In summary of that entry: she had scurried up the yacht's mast to make some adjustments when the wind velocity increased. She was smart enough to bring the ship's remote control steering with her to adjust the vessel's heading and make going back down a more pleasant journey.



I am thinking: the view from up there, with the wind bouncing you around, in the middle of the open ocean, by yourself; now that must equal courage.

20 comments:

terri said...

What a brave and amazing kid! She's got more guts than I'll ever have.

mrsofficer said...

WOW she is definetly brave!What an amazing experience, this girl looks like she has life by the horns.Good for her!

Janna Qualman said...

She's incredible! Thanks for sharing her story.

And thanks for visiting my blog Something She Wrote today. I'm intrigued by yours! :)

J. J. in Phila said...

Quite amazing, and she seems to enjoy it.

LOUD n PROUD said...

I heard about her story the other day listening to talk radio,her brother did this also,they sure are amazing kids!I can't even swim!

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
In crrredible! Now that's adventure!

Thanks for the introduction to her site.

Ann T.

Confessions of a Mother, Lawyer & Crazy Woman said...

Wow. True courage. Thanks for sharing her story, truly amazing.

Stephanie Faris said...

A pink boat! I love her style.

Nikole Hahn said...

Oh my...a woman traveling alone like that...very brave. Definitley someone to pray for and I applaud her sense of adventure and courage.

Dan said...

As someone who grew up many hundreds of miles from oceans, that amount of water just seems unnatural. So the young lady has my sincere admiration. I figure if I can't stand and touch the bottom, it's way too deep. {*grin*}

corvedacosta said...

Hope all goes well. She should be able to do it.

Midlife Jobhunter said...

Certainly more courage than I would ever have. I have dreams of climbing mountains and surviving wild rapids -- but the dreams that claim me now are those that have me in warm pajamas, under the covers, a good book in my hands. Never thought I'd come to that, but....

Midlife Jobhunter said...

P.S. I hope she makes it, with colors flying!

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog-how'd you make it there? More power to this girl for having an awesome goal and trying to reach it!

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the comments all.

@ Loud: It is never to late to learn.

@ Janna: I appreciate the feedback. I have quite a bit to learn from professional writes such as yourself.

@ My Husband's...: I do alot of blog surfing and reading. I just invaded your journal randomly as I did with the "courageous teen's" blog that was the focus of the post.

@ Dan: Growing up in the Plains states, I can use a similar excuse, but being born on the West Coast you would think I would have some hidden talent for sailing.

angelcel said...

I think this is the girl I heard about a while back - there were many people trying to stop her from going, saying that she was way too young. I'm glad she got on her way and wish her all the luck in the world. She's very brave.

jaymiethorne said...

Brave, hopeful, and inspiring!

thursdaymorningmeditations said...

So why is it that 2 years and an Aussie upbringing allow this girl out on the open seas... but Laura Dekker has to remain docked in the Netherlands?

Slamdunk said...

@ ThursdayMorning...: Interesting point. I think with the Dutch teen, one parent supported the trip while the other did not, and the case went to court where a judge weighed a negative.

With the Aussie, both parents support the quest and no government official gave judicial input.

Kristin said...

Wow, does she make me feel wildly unproductive. Amazing!