Part VII: Kathleen McBroom Missing Person

Sheila Kathleen “Beany” McBroom has not been seen since October 27, 2008 in Anchorage, Alaska. She was reported missing by her family the next day.

Four days after Ms. McBroom's disappearance, her truck was discovered abandoned by family members on a highway south of Anchorage. The vehicle contained her cell phone and other personal items.

Ms. McBroom was an avid writer and her online journal can be viewed here.
_____________________________________________________________________________

In my last two posts, I presented four questions that I believe should be pursued by the family regarding Ms. McBroom's investigation:

1) Were Kathleen’s medical records subpoenaed?

2) Was her encounter with police (on the morning she vanished) videoed?

3) Was a traffic collision/accident report completed concerning Ms. McBroom’s truck striking the guardrail that morning?

4) Was her cell phone active beyond 9 am that morning?
To complete the list, I offer one more question.

5) Why has the McBroom case not received more publicity?

Back on November 4th, I talked about how Kathleen's online friends and blog readers had pushed Anchorage area media outlets for coverage of her disappearance. The prodding was marginally successful as a few television and newspaper stories were aired.

Unfortunately, most were just one time stories and little follow-up was done.

It seems the intial disappearance received some cursory attention, the woman's family was interviewed once or twice, and then the story was forgotten.

In November, I also discussed how surprised I was to find that Kathleen's information had not been listed on the investigating agency's website or the Alaska's State Troopers website dedicated to missing persons cases.

How can authorities find a missing woman if the public is not aware of the details of her disappearance?

Curious, I contacted the lead agency for Kathleen's investigation.

The contact person confirmed that the McBroom case is still active, but that there was not a missing persons bulletin/summary sheet/poster immediately available. The represetentative stated that she would try to locate the document and pass it along.

I also contacted representatives at the state who explained that Ms. McBroom's information could be posted to their site if the case details came from the investigating agency; and evidently it had not.

Now, a month later and I see that there still has been no addition of the Kathleen McBroom case to local or state missing persons websites.

Last week, I received notice from the US Department of Justice that their new missing persons database was online.

NAMUS or the National Missing and Unidentified Persons Database is the federal government's attempt to catalog the wealth of information on active missing persons and found remains so that law enforcement, medical professionals, and the general public can help close some of these cases.

Exploring the website, I was quickly able to read the posted summaries of three of the four cases that I have profiled on this blog: Ray Gricar, Brianna Maitland, and Morgan Nick.

Which missing person case is absent from the NAMUS database?

Sadly, its Sheila Kathleen McBroom.

Of these questions that I believe the family should be receiving answers, no response is more important than why authorties are not involving the public in their search for her.

Police owe this much to Ms. McBroom's loved ones. As well as to Kathleen.

_________________________________________________________________________

Previous posts in this series can be accessed by clicking "Kathleen McBroom" on the right margin of the home page or a list of historical posts is here

*Note: The photo was taken from Ms. McBroom's blog.

22 comments:

Sue said...

I have wondered for a long time when they are going to spend a little time posting her information.

Janna Qualman said...

Oh my gosh, this post has me gasping for breath. I don't understand! All your points are so valid, as is your concern over why they haven't been brought to public light. I'm just taken aback by the circumstance, and feel a deeper twinge over the fact that she's a fellow writer. Wow. I will be checking out her online journal, and praying for this whole thing. Wow. Thank you for sharing this.

Stephanie Faris said...

That's disturbing. Why do things like this fall through the cracks? I guess to the police, these cases just become names and files...they don't think of the real people involved.

Javajune said...

It sounds to me like they need a compassionate and dedicated person such as yourself to run that database. They must have become hardened and have forgotten that these cases involve real people with family's who love them.
Keep up the good work my friend.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

love, love-jj

C.L. (Cindy) Beck, author said...

It's sad that more effort isn't being made by the appropriate agencies to publicize this case.

However, you deserve a big pat on the back for looking into all of it and trying to get them motivated! you're a good guy!

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Dan said...

From the facts at hand, who has jurisdiction for the case? Is it the highway patrol or a local township or county sheriff or ...?

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
I went through again to look at her journal. And both times, it looked like this woman was on the mend. Her daughters, her friends, her readership, her goals as a writer. She was moving up and on.

I don't know how she could fall through the cracks either. I'm guessing the local SO or PD didn't forward her case to the database.

Anyway, Ms. Beck has it right: you're bringing her back into public consciousness. Now I wonder how this will affect an effort to get her listed. I suppose her family must be the complainant. They seem to have (understandably) fallen apart over this, so maybe someone else can do it.

Very chilling.

Sincerely yours,
Ann T.

J. J. in Phila said...

As you know, I follow the Gricar case, where the was, and is, a lot of publicity and public interest. The lack of both really stuns me.

Has her family and friends tried to get more publicity for the case?

terri said...

I can't imagine the frustration and helplessness the family must be feeling.

Tamika: said...

This makes my heart ache! I didn't even know about this story. There should be more publicity on the case for sure.

I'm praying now for Kathleen and her family!

Heather Sunseri said...

What a poignant story! I can't believe how many holes there are in this story for this poor girl to fall through. WOW!!

Slamdunk said...

I appreciate the comments and feedback all.

@ Dan: The case involved several law enforcement agencies, but because she lived in Anchorage and that is where the missing person report was filed, the Anchorage PD is the lead agency.

@ JJ: I really don't know how much the family pressed the media or authorities for attention in the case. Unfortunately, missing persons cases can be like other things in life--the squeaky wheel draws the most attention.

@ JavaJune: That is very kind of you to say. I think the federal government-sponsored missing person database will be an excellent tool for gathering information on these cases. I'm going to work to have Kathleen's information added to that site, and will post an update with the results.

BobKat said...

Thought provoking. I wonder what the percentage of cases get the same treatment? I know Maura Murry's case got the same attention for the first several months, and then after police stated there was no indication of foul play, it suddenly resurfaced as suspicious/maybe more, and then went underground - I have to figure NH CSI... and as far as i know, the family to this day has had near zero cooperation with NH State Police.

Very sad. And I'm a citizen of NH... Kelly Ayotte, you bungled this one in my opinion and won't get my vote for a seat in the Senate! Shame on you for putting the Murray family through what they've been through. Gov. Lynch included!

Back to Kathleen...

She may have worked for the CIA, Slam. Only special CIA agents names get leaked to the public. Others I'm sure just disappear. Otherwise, I can't conceive of the lack of an investigation, and the availability of publicly available information about Kathleen's being missing.

Are you certain her family doesn't know something??

In your next post please fill us in on what has been done to find Kathleen? If not much, then I guess that will be your shortest, most poignant post.

Oz Girl said...

I'm really glad to see you devoting posts to Kathleen's case, but like the others, I'm sad that the appropriate authorities haven't taken more action here. Disturbing to say the least.

Iva said...

wow. I am speechless. my heart breaks for the family.

ooglebloops said...

Very disturbing- thanks for publicizing this case and for the link to her blog. Very sad reading the posts from just before she disappeared.
I'm playing catchup reading all your posts - great blog!!!

BobKat said...

Good News, and unexpected I might add... a case I wrote about in these comments:

RE: Maura Murray: the new-formed NEW HAMPSHIRE COLD CASE UNIT has selected her case (among many). According to information here on the family website: www.mauramurraymissing.com/

Thank-you to the N.H. Legislature and especially Representative Peyton Hinkle.

Please read about the Cold Case Unit here at:

http://www.doj.nh.gov/coldcaseunit/index.htm

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the update on the Murray case Bob.

J. J. in Phila said...

BobKat,

That is excellent news. :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog, I had not come across theslamdunktrove.blogspot.com before during my searches!
Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Wow neat! This is a really great site! I am wondering if anyone else has come across something
like this in the past? Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

I can answer part of one of your questions. The voice recording of her talking to the state trooper did not surface until years later. We are still puzzled and wonder why he did not contact us if he felt the need to question her and then apparently check on her later.