More than Anyone Wants to Know

Note: I'll have my regular Monday missing person post online tomorrow.

In the meantime...


---------------------------------------------------------------
This post is to meet the requirements of the recent recognition that I have undeservedly received.

Many thanks to Ann T. Hathaway and My Husband's Watching for the blog awards.





Also, thanks to Hurstburst for tagging me.

These three talented authors host entertaining sites and I enjoy visiting.

----------------------------------------

First the awards.

I chose to combine the recognition rules listed (here and here), and bestow the same awards on the following seven excellent bloggers (no pressure to participate of course):

Amy Elizabeth at Windy City Whimsy-Compassionate person with an interest in sports cars.

ALH at Kind of That Girl--Fantastic author whose secret creative writing spot involves a bridge.

Lipstick at the Mailbox --Mom, pharmacist, and caring Southerner who recently showed off her ability to throw a spiral with a football.

A Doc 2 Be--Honest, intelligent, and interesting topics that often detail the author's challenges in pursuing a new career.

Dan at the Art of Panic--Dr. Dan combines interesting and informed commentary with superb writing.

Junie at JavaJune--Great writing, great photography, and a contagious positive outlook on life.

Katherine at Poems from the Battlefield--A caring person who combined her talents in poetry and photography to recently publish a book.

----------------------------------------

Here are "Seven Interesting Things" about me*:

*Note: Interesting may not apply to any of these and I had to review a previous related post to ensure I was not being redundant.

1) Several relatives in my family truly believe that am a traitor for moving north of the Mason Dixon line. In general, folks up North consider Southerners stupid in a court jester sort of way while residents from the South use "Yankee" as an expletive—and mean it.

2) Though I like to read about other nations, I have only left the US one time. Several years ago I took a trip to a police conference in Montreal. As a result, my blog will not contain any insights on international travel or politics.

3) My biggest challenge in the police academy was maneuvering through the driving course backwards. I had to sneak out to the track for lots of extra practice and the traffic cone fatality rate for the county has not been higher since I graduated.

4) Our family consists of three children: a nine-year old, and twin three-year olds (a boy and a girl). I am the disciplinarian of the family.

{LONG PAUSE FOR LAUGHTER TO STOP}

What is that bit of wisdom from the yellow sponge who lives in a pineapple under the sea: “Don’t worry Patrick, they are not laughing at us. They are laughing next to us.”

5) After a weightlifting accident that resulted in a 45 lbs plate sliding off a bench press bar and breaking my 9th grade baseball coach’s foot, I was inexplicably cut from the team a few weeks later. Go figure.

Note: I did redeem myself the following years and was contacted by a JUCO coach about playing for his team after high school.

6) I was elected president of my fraternity in college, not in recognition of my leadership potential or abilities, but for the sole reason that I was most likely to be sober at organizational events.

7) Just to clarify the “former police officer” label--I really did not leave policing through termination (due to arrest, indictment, scandal, etc.), but chose to do so rather than start all over again with a new agency and no seniority after we decided to start a family and move north to be closer to my wife’s relatives.

----------------------------------------

In regard to Hurstburst's "8 or 80 Things that You Need to Know About" tag, here are my responses:

8 TV shows I watch:

I don’t watch any television shows regularly. I watch some news, sports, the Discovery Channel, and related.

8 favorite places to eat and drink:

With twins and our schedules, we don’t get out much. In ten years, I’ll be able to answer this question better—once the kids learn that dad is not cool but a moron.

8 things I look forward to:

•Warm weather
•Regular workouts again
•Seeing my relatives in Texas
•Traveling
•Talking about crime
•Reading
•Annual visits to the ocean
•Playing tennis with family

8 things that happened yesterday:

•Watched health videos and completed online surveys so that we would qualify for insurance discounts (painful...)
•Played with kids
•Coordinated 3 am bathroom/diaper change needs
•Washed dishes
•Listened to the Mrs. read a portion of a gifted student’s paper
•Talked to my father on the phone
•Played Monopoly with the older son
•Pushed the little girl on her swing

8 things I love about winter:

•The end
•Snow on Saturday and Sunday
•Christmas
•Football
•Basketball
•Wearing a hooded sweatshirt often
•Soups
•Sleeping with covers

8 things on my wish list:

•Better dad
•Better husband
•Better son
•Learning more patience
•Write 4 times per week
•Run 4 times per week (when the weather warms)
•Continue to work with families of missing persons
•Speak less and say more

8 things I am passionate about

•My faith in Jesus Christ
•Crime and Criminal Justice
•Missing Persons
•My family
•Blogging
•Fatherhood
•Being charitable
•Sports

8 words or phrases I use often

•Articulate
•No
•Informed opinion
•J’eet? (southern for “did you eat?”)
•Yall
•Bloom where you are planted.
•Enjoy
•Who needs to go to the bathroom?

8 things I have learned from the past

•History repeats
•Stuff clusters
•I only think I can run as fast as I could in high school
•Leaving my keys in the front door lock overnight is not safety conscious
•Almost every situation is not as bad upon reflection
•Being a parent is a great excuse to act like a kid again
•As I get older, cold swimming pool water is unappealing
•No good deed goes unpunished

8 things I want/need

None—I am content.

---------------------------------------------

Ok, thanks for hanging with me for this 1,000+ word post. Back to regularly scheduled programming tomorrow.

24 comments:

mrsofficer said...

Love this post. Actually love your blog. I told my husband since he has been trying to keep up with my blog to check you out. He is always asking are there any guys on here?lol I told him your blog is good. You are a very good writer and I enjoy your topics.Your wish list and passion list are great. We can all be better and God is something we all need. You totally deserve the award!

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

Congratulations on your award! As Mrs. Officer says, you totally deserve it.

Thank you, too, for passing an award on to me. That was very sweet of you to think of my book site.

Finally, post more of these "me mes." It's interesting to read bytes about our blogger friends' lives. : )

Jeanette said...

I really really enjoyed reading this one despite your headline (people do want to know!). It's funny because sometimes even the most insignificant details about your life can be the most interesting/telling. Best of luck on achieving all your goals!

J. J. in Phila said...

Congratulations on your awards, plural.

I think you life is substantially more interesting than mine. :)

I both enjoy you blog and recommend it.

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
I burst out laughing twice reading this post. And somehow I was not surprised about Texas. As a former Texas girl, I must have been getting the vibe. I also say ya'all. It answers everything deficient in English pronouns and upsets the Yankees so much.

I must say, that along with everything else we learned about you, your passions do you credit. They are also part of what makes your blog so interesting.

Thanks for accepting the heart-award. i'm twice as glad you have it now! Say hello to your family for me! I'll be checking out all your intriguing awardees!

Sincerely,
Ann T.

Holly said...

Congrats on your awards. And some new blogs for me to check out. This post was fun because we get a little peek into the man behind the blog!

Stephanie Faris said...

Congrats! LOTS of awards going around this week, I see!

Iva said...

Congratulations on you award!!

 ALH said...

Congratulations on your award! It is definitely well-deserved! I get such a fresh perspective on issues when you write about them in your blog and I feel safe knowing that you did due diligence in your journalistic endeavors.

Also, thank you so much for awarding me the Beautiful Blogger award! Unfortunately, (or I suppose I should say fortunately!) I have already received the Beautiful Blogger award this month! I feel that if I post it again my readers may begin to think my head is getting too big! I would, however, like to thank you for the nomination and link to your blog when I post later today. I will make sure to send some of my readers your way :) Thanks again

Luisa Doraz said...

Well. look at you! Congrats! You deserve it for all of the great things you do! Congrats to all the other bloggers, as well! It was nice to get to know ya! Have a great week! :)

Dan said...

I thank you for the award. Now all I have to do is see if I can come up with the requisite 7 & 7 (leaving out the Seagram's).

As a former mayor, your point #7 is one of the police colloquialisms I was finally able to change. We were missing out on recruiting superbly qualified and able officers from urban areas that wanted to live in a rural area but didn't want to lose their seniority and rank (and pay grade). Adopting a policy of graded transfer of rank and seniority made all the difference. Our department went from being understaffed to fully staffed and we haven't looked back.

Slamdunk said...

@ ALH: Argh--my bad and sorry. You are too kind.

@ Mrs. Officer, Katherine, JJ, Jeanette, Stepanie, Iva, & Luisa: Thanks for the kind words.

@ Holly: Thanks and glad that I have not scared too many ppl off yet.

@ Dan: Your welcome. Excellent initiative in using senority to recruit--it can be a difficult thing to negotiate initially (with those currently employed), but can make a big difference in attracted seasoned talent.

hurstburst said...

I loved learning more about you. Thanks for playing along!

Lipstick said...

Wow! Thank you so very much for the award!

I love your random lists about yourself...these are so fun...
-ok, so I just died laughing about how you were chosen to be pres of your frat in college
-very funny about "yankee" being an expletive (it was in my family as well...until I married one)
-J'eet?
-absolutely everything you have learned in the past

hmmm...so I had a pretty long list of favorites.

BobKat said...

The black sheep congradulates you on your award... you do deserve it! It appears "tongue in cheek", but I don't catch on to quickly... I just think you deserve a reward! Excellent work!

LadyFi said...

Great post... love that quote: They are laughing next to us!

Thank you Square Bob Sponge Pants!

MONICA-LnP said...

Congrats on the award! well deserved!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Congrats on the Awards!

I tried not to laugh at the disciplinarian comment, but it was too humorous.

terri said...

Love the 8 things responses. It's clear that you are very content where you are at in life. Enjoy it. These days pass too quickly.

mrs. fuzz said...

This was really fun to read! I enjoyed it a lot. Actually every post is a good one.

Rowe said...

Our household are Sponge Bob fans. He is such a cute, funny little fellow and the show is really clever. Bloom where you are planted, I like that.

traceepersiko said...

Way to move up north!!

I have always wanted to tear up some cones!! haha!

Thank you for putting your unedited heart out there for people to be encouraged by.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Slamdunk said...

@ Anonymous on 2/17: Thanks for the feedback. It has been a learning process.