Part I: The Disappearance of Beau Ramsey

When I started this blog, a primary intent was to discuss three missing person cases: Ray Gricar, Brianna Maitland, and Beau Ramsey.

While continuing to post on Mr. Gricar and Ms. Maitland, I wanted to introduce the circumstances surrounding Mr. Ramsey’s disappearance.

Beau’s story started much the same as the previous two persons named above.

He unexpectedly vanished after leaving work, his mode of transportation was found abandoned in an unusual place, several witnesses reported seeing him after work, and intensive ground searches revealed nothing useful to investigators.

The difference between Mr. Ramsey’s disappearance in comparison to the others is its sad ending—10 months later Beau was found deceased and the case became an active homicide investigation.

--------------------------------



Summary

On August 17, 2004, twenty-three year old Beau Ramsey, was operating a motorcycle and following his employer to a construction site in Benton, Arkansas. Beau’s coworkers reported that Ramsey fell behind in traffic and never made it to the job’s location.

At least two witnesses reported seeing Ramsey later in the day; one person allegedly lent him gas.*

Investigators also learned that the missing man was videoed making a purchase at Wal-Mart on the same afternoon—the contents which generated lots of speculation as to Ramsey’s motivations.

After these sightings, it is difficult to establish when Beau was seen alive again.

A few days later, his motorcycle, with the keys in the ignition, was found abandoned on a dirt road near the county line.

About the Victim

Friends described Beau as "good-looking" and full of personality.

In high school, he was elected "Biggest Flirt" by classmates. He was considered physically strong and a gifted athlete and, after graduation, received a small cheerleading scholarship to attend the University of Tennessee.

After his first semester, Beau impressed his cheerleading coach with his drive and skill, and also excelled scholastically--finishing with a B average.

Despite his initial success and prior to spring classes starting, he told his mother that he was homesick and decided to drop-out of college. He then returned home to the Arkansas.

Beau spent the next several years living and working in Benton, a suburb of Little Rock. During that time, he evidently struggled with substance abuse and was also reportedly arrested for DUI and domestic assault.

His mother’s support never wavered despite her son’s problems and he eventually agreed to attend an out-of-state rehabilitation center for drug addiction.

At the time of his disappearance, Beau was living with his father (his parents are divorced).

--------------------------------------

More to come on this sad case including details about a what the victim’s cell phone records told authorities, controversy over the Wal-Mart video, why little information could be gleaned from processing the victim’s motorcycle, a person of interest that emerged, and how the deceased man’s body was located.

Note: When additional entries are added to this series, interested readers can click “Beau Ramsey” to the right sidebar from any page on this site to see all related posts.

Also, the photo was used from here.


*This sentence was corrected after the initial posting.

21 comments:

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Now I'm intrigued...I'll be checking for updates on this one.

J. J. in Phila said...

This does look interesting.

I would point the real possibility that both the Maitland and Gricar cases could be homicides.

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
I'm ready! This will be the first case I'm in on at the start.
Ann T.

Nikole Hahn said...

It's great you do these missing persons cases.

Nikole Hahn said...

It's great you do these missing persons cases.

angelcel said...

Reading this made me think of the case you highlighted recently of Susan Powell and I just wondered what had been happening with that. From what I can see from a quick Google search the answer is 'not much'. These sudden disappearance cases are chilling.

BTW your 'comments' box wasn't working for me yesterday but I just wanted to say that I enjoyed learning more about you. As a bit of a collector of words 'j'eet' has now been filed away in my mental dictionary. :)

Luisa Doraz said...

Reading this makes me think of my two boys. I feel so distraught and can only imagine what his mom feels.

Stephanie Faris said...

Wow...what a strange disappearance. He just vanished into traffic.

 ALH said...

I do not like that this case ended so sadly and that such a promising young man seemed to hit such a rough patch in life. I will be checking in on your further reporting of his case.

Thanks for your comment on my post! I still refuse to wear shoes as much as possible as it is one of my last vestiges of that childish feeling. Thanks for reading!

Confessions of a Mother, Lawyer & Crazy Woman said...

Hi there - Stopping by to say thanks for the comments! And - wow - that is crazy about this case, like he vanished into thin air. How sad for his family, good for you for bringing it to the public's attention.

BobKat said...

23 years old. It's tragic. All these cases are. This one is different for you in the sense that he was found and it is, as you said, classified as a homicide. I have never heard Beau Ramsey's story - so again you have a story that despite my habit for researching cases like this, you have my attention.

I find it of interest he decided college wasn't for himself at the time. Makes me feel he may have felt "pushed" to attend. Secondly, he "felt homesick", tells me he never wanted to move away and attend an outside college in the first place perhaps. And third, good old "substance abuse". Hope you provide more details, and as you know, I'm critical of the difference between substance use and abuse. There's a difference, and it's key to know the difference. Brianna Maitland was a user - casual I believe, based on friends of her's I spoke with. However, in my opinion, her case got side-tracked by serious allegations of substance abuse and debt incurred.

RE: Mr. Ramsey, I'm most troubled by your statement he was arrested for DUI and domestic abuse. It doesn't fit with the image I have of him so far.

Looking forwards to your next post...

Kristin said...

So terrible. They're poor families.

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

Yes, this is the first case I am reading from the start as well. It will make a difference. I haven't been able to follow the others the way I would have liked.

Slamdunk said...

Thanks all. Since the result of this one is known, it won't be as long of a series as the other two mentioned. With my long-windedness, I expect multiple posts though

@ AngelCel: I hope that was a temporary blogger issue and not something that happens often. I'll keep my eyes open for other problems.

@ BobKat: In future posts, I'll explain how the victim's reported substance abuse issues were rightfully areas that police needed to explore.

Midlife Jobhunter said...

How sad. I can't imagine having to deal with the unknown as you report in these cases.

By the way, your new look on your site is quite nice. Sorry I'm so far behind on reading, but have noticed the change. Kind of like putting on a new suit!

Iva said...

so very sad!!! I feel horrible!! Heartbreaking.

free font said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
corvedacosta said...

A burning desire ...thats all it takes

beausmom said...

This is Beau's mom, Dee Tucker. I stumbled on to your webpage and want to thank you for keeping Beau's face out there. I will be keeping an eye out now that I know that you are interested and will keep you updated. There has been some evidence that the cops are trying to follow up on. Maybe soon we will find out the reason for my son's murder.

beausmom said...

This is Beau's mom, Dee Tucker. I stumbled on you webpage and am glad to see that you are keeping Beau's name and face out there. I will keep you posted with updates on his murder investigation. There are many things the cops in Saline county didn't do like not fingerprinting his apt. or motorcycle that were very unprofessional. They also lost all the info in his file before they transferred it to Grant county .

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for leaving a comment and for your insights into the case Dee. I am sorry about the loss of your son and my prayers are with you and your family as the case continues.

I'd enjoy doing an update on Beau's case on any angle that you thought might be helpful. You can email me directly at: theslamdunktrove@gmail.com .