Sharing a Special Blogging Experience

If your like me, you started a blog with no real expectations.

Actually, my blogging goals were selfish personal--to improve my writing, practice constructing arguments, and to discuss topics and ideas that I felt were important.

I never really considered the potential that blogs offer to connect with folks near and far.

That is until last weekend.

Two weeks ago, I posted on the inspirational survival story of Judith Sleavin.

Judy was the sole survivor of a horrific crash at sea off the coast of New Zealand that claimed the lives of her two children and husband. The crew of the cargo ship that caused the accident was fearful of what repercussions might result from the collision, and fled the scene—-failing to notify anyone of the Sleavin family’s situation.

With multiple life-threatening injuries and clinging to a partial-inflated raft in the ocean, Judy was able to make it to shore where she was later spotted by a passing aircraft and rescued by ground personnel.

In response to my post, the insightful Ann T. commented that she saw that Judith Sleavin now lives in New Zealand and designed jewelry.

During the week that my post went public, a blogger friend, the multi-talented and kind-hearted Australian Sean Fraser of the Dolls Point Blogger, just so happened to be in New Zealand visiting his daughter.

Inspired by Ms. Sleavin’s story and interested in learning more about her craft that involves flame-working glass beads, Sean located Judy's New Zealand shop, and got to meet with this courageous woman.

To describe his visit, Sean posted a moving entry entitled
INSPIRED BY THE SEA, COLOUR, NATURE, KINDNESS AND JOY
.

His post is complete with photos, and includes this image of Judy demonstrating her work:



It is well worth your time to stop over and read Sean's entry.

Through blogging, I have learned that the world truly is a small place.

I realize that there is much good that can result from sharing with individuals and communities online.

I now understand how blessed I am to have connected with a few of the kind and talented individuals that live not only in nearby states, but also those oceans away from my home in a small town in the Northeastern United States.

Thank you to all as it has been an amazing and rewarding experience.

-----------------------------------

*Note: Thanks to Sean for allowing me to use the image.

37 comments:

Holly said...

That is quite a story. I am truly amazed at the people I have met in the blogging world...and how small the world is. I will head over and read this story of the courageous woman.

Midlife Jobhunter said...

Yes, the blogging world has opened new doors for me as well. Now, how to explain that to those who don't blog and think I'm wasting my time (while they explain a new TV show called "I'm Pregnant and Didn't Know It."

I'm happy for your experience here.

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
This is incredible! I had no expectation of such a connection. I was mostly thinking about ordering for my sister's birthday--

Thank you!
Ann T.

jinksy said...

I've found Blogland never ceases to amaze - it's a wonderful place to inhabit!

gladwellmusau said...

Oh, I am happy for you...and even more, heaven is waiting for you because in this life you will never know how many people you touched through your writing. Blog by friend with heaven in perspective.

Blessings

Janna Qualman said...

SD, this is awesome. How amazing to realize the connection! Sometimes it feels like the paths between us and our blogging buddies is so short, and I love that.

Herding Cats said...

Wow. That's an incredible story!

Erin said...

Amazing! I feel like we should all join hands and sing kumbaya. On three...

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

That's awesome! I swear the Blog World gets smaller and smaller!

Bob G. said...

SD:
A marvelous story indeed.

I guess the blogosphere has it's very own "six degrees of separation" gig going on after all...!

If we do believe that the blogging "world" is getting smaller, perhaps we might better say it has beocme a bit more "intimate" through the stories we share...the experiences...and our personal views of whatever is on our minds and occurs in our lives.

And to think...the "adventure" is just beginning...

Good post & comments by all.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

My blog family is wonderful! I'm so blessed by the stories we share of our lives.

I wish I could have a big party where everyone in blogville showed up! It would wonderful to meet everyone in person!

Can't wait to read this amazing story you posted.

Luisa Doraz said...

This is what it is all about! :) I am sooo happy for people realizing that it is worth while to reach out to others! :) Have a great Friday! :)

Elena said...

I love reading stories like that! So cool...

BobKat said...

Thank you Slam... I know I started my blog with the same idea... after your guest invitation to write prompted me to confront my lack of knowledge about "Blogs".

Since I've met you online, I've seen your blog grow incredibly... considering your stories, integrity, and writing skills, this isn't surprising, but then, it isn't to be considered common... you have worked very hard to get where you're at... to have the readers you have found and share with. Interact with!

I don't have much to reward you with - unless my gratitude counts?

I am curious... what more can you add about your original ideas when you started your blog, what you expected, and what it is today?

Interesting story... sorry, somehow I missed the story you wrote about... and I don't miss many.

Iva said...

wow that is truly amazing and fabulous. It always amazes me how many great people we meet through blogging! have a great weekend and happy valentines day.

LadyFi said...

What an amazing world we live in... We really are all interconnected. Sounds as if she is a very courageous woman too.

plello said...

Thats a really cool story. I'm glad your blog was able to create a situation such as that for you. Keep up the great work.

plello said...

Thats a really cool story. I'm glad your blog was able to create a situation such as that for you. Keep up the great work.

Selma said...

A truly inspirational story. I have also been moved and gratified by how small the world seems as a result of blogging. We really are more connected than we think!

terri said...

It is truly a small world, isn't it? And I have to agree with you. Blogging opened up doors I never imagined existed.

MONICA-LnP said...

SD-what a great story and as usual your writing blows me away!

Sultana said...

It is really a small world. Touching story.

torn blazer said...

Hi Slam,
I love blogging from conversations on the blog we emerge seeing life in a different, fresh and more interesting way

Sean Fraser

corvedacosta said...

Blogging brings you to people you wouldn't normally reach. I love reading your posts.

Nathalie said...

wow, such an intriguing story. The world really is a village
*Nathalie

Rhiannon Nicole said...

This is a really great post because it is all so true. I am so lucky to have met great people through my blog as well. Thanks for the links; the Sleavin story really was touching xx

Pia said...

i started blogging for the mere purpose of jotting down my thoughts and events that's happening in my life. but blogging brought so much more like friends from all over the globe and prayer partners. i'm truly grateful for this.

Cindy (C.L.) Beck said...

Great story. It's amazing how small the world really is! Thanks for all the topics you keep us posted on!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Wow, amazing story. I think I missed that one the first time around.

It must be gratifying to know something you do has a positive effect on others. Kudos.

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the kind words and for sharing some of your positive blogging experiences.

@Ann T: Thank you for adding yoru comment that make this connection happen.

@BobKat: I'll have to think about that one.

Rowe said...

Wow, that is incredible. Going to visit Sean's post now.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

Im' glad to be a part of it! Always nice to hear why people blog.

angelcel said...

I couldn't agree more. I started blogging after encouragement from a friend, thought that I'd give it a short go and here I am over a year later. I love the interaction with others all over the globe and it emphasises the similarities that bind us all together, making the world seem a much smaller place.

Lipstick said...

Wow....that connection is amazing.

The story of Judith Sleavin...I do not think I could live through that. I am beyond amazed that she remained clinging to life after losing her dear family. I can only imagine that I would have slipped into the water with them all.

Jeanette K. said...

Wow, that is really amazing. I can't imagine what life has been like after losing your entire family like that. Thanks for sharing it!

redbpower said...

...and, several years later. here i am. thank you for stopping by my blog. kudos on yours.

JennyMac said...

What an awesome story and yes, I am amazed too by some of the connections and friendships blogging has created.

Have a great weekend with the Slam Fam.