Becoming a Girl Magnet

Our nine-year-old son spoils us.

He has always been well-behaved and mature.

In school, we found out another parent asked the teacher to have her son be seated next to our child as much as possible-—to help with the other kid's in-class behaviors.

Honestly, mom and dad can take little credit for our oldest child’s goodness; as illustrated daily by his raucous younger brother and sister.

In addition to being well-liked by the teachers and boys at school, our son's athletic ability, muscular tall build, and easy-going personality evidently appeal to his classmates of the opposite sex as well.

I say evidently because I did not carry such “burden” in school.

In any event, I thought the following was a revealing exchange between father and son.
______________________________________________



GRADE SCHOOL SON: The girls at school talk to me all of the time.

ME: Well, that must make you feel good. Anyone I know?

GRADE SCHOOL SON: Probably not, they are just in my class.

ME: What do these young ladies say to you?

GRADE SCHOOL SON: Well, this girl Abigail, who sits in front of me, told me yesterday how much she enjoys speaking with me in homeroom.

ME: Really?

GRADE SCHOOL SON: Yeah, she said that I am sort of interesting, and plus, when she turns to talk, she can stare at the clock on the wall behind me.

______________________________________________

After so many years of school that included endlessly watching clocks on walls and wishing time would move faster, how did I miss this essential ingredient in becoming a female magnet?

All that I needed to get girls to talk to me was to sit in a desk directly in front of a classroom clock.

Missed opportunities…

28 comments:

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

This is hilarious!!! I love it. Watch out in a few years...

Confessions From A Working Mom said...

I love how she told him he was "sort of" interesting. Ahhhh, what a back-handed elementary school compliment!

Oh, and for me, it was the boys who allowed me to stare off out the WINDOW that I really found attractive!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Oh, if we could take what we know NOW...and travel back to apply it THEN, hmm?
(people just wabnted to sit near me to copy my test answers...sheesh)

Very good post, and kudos to YOU for raising a child in a proper manner.
DNA DOES rub off...who knew?

:)

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

Hee hee!

Dan said...

You never know how much you missed until the offspring put their spin on it.

I never knew you could get rich in school until my son hatched his rent-a-pencil and rent-a-calculator schemes.

And of course there was the fill in the blank mash note a young lady used to invite him to the first middle school dance. I never ever got one of those.

Natalie said...

At least he doesn't have a swelled head about it. Yet.

LadyFi said...

Oh goodness.. what a wonderful and hilarious story!

Tamika: said...

Hilarious! Kids are too much!

I was never a guy magnet. Shucks! My girls on the other hand are polar opposites, raining in the boys.

Go figure.

openid said...

hahaha! he sounds very much like 10-year-old Stink (in the family i'm living with right now).

theycallmejane said...

What a cute story! Thanks for the giggle!

Herding Cats said...

He is going to be a heartbreaker! Just watch!

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
It sounds to me like he has an incredible awareness. It's not just that he knows how to get the girls to look (LOL) but that it doesn't make his ego over-swell either (it's the clock!)

What a remarkable young man.

Love to your family, the responsible, the respectful, and the rambunctious,
Ann T.

Amanda West said...

Haha! I'm sure that will be a hilarious story to share with him again when he gets older.

Midlife Jobhunter said...

Well, live and learn.

Rowe said...

Your charming son sounds like my youngest son. He's 20 and has always had a natural charm, easy going and loved by all.
But, was she really looking at the clock or was that her clever excuse???

Beth said...

Fantastic story! Thanks for bringing a smile and a laugh to my morning.

angelcel said...

Hehe....'out of the mouths of babes' ... That is the wisdom of a very savvy young man. Love it!

Iva said...

LOL LOL LOL!!!!

gladwellmusau said...

I laughed so hard about this one...Made my evening!!!!

Blessings.

Titanium said...

Kids are amazing, with their grasp of the obvious that defies adult logic like nothing else could.

Mine is ten, this year.

suzicate said...

Love this post! wonder if your son will pick his seat accordingly next year!

Kristen @ Motherese said...

It sounds like your son is getting an early education in affairs of the heart!

herworldcaptured said...

haha, this brightened my day... I miss the days when all you needed to get someone to like you was a clock behind your head.

The Babaylan said...

congrats! genes...

Holly said...

That is too funny. That may be the key for all boys/girls.

Selma said...

That is one of the most adorable stories I have ever heard. I love it. It has made my day!

Oz Girl said...

Thanks for the hearty laugh. Hilarious. If only you could time-travel... LOL

James (SeattleDad) said...

Too funny. You need to take advantage of any and all opportunites when you are a boy.