Career Watch: I Can Do That!

The US Department of Labor estimates that workers between the ages of 18 and 38 change jobs an average of 10 times, so in the current perilous economic environment it is imperative to develop a diverse set of employment skills.

I am doing my part, and being ever vigilant for opportunities to improve my chances of continuous employment.

Recently, I considered building some artistic abilities into my skill set.

Though I am starting from nothing, I remember practicing long hours in grade school during Math and English classes (as opposed to listening)--drawing numerous iterations of naval battleships, submarines, and destroyers engaged in ocean skirmishes.

I know that my drawing skills, comprised almost exclusively of stick figures, need improvement, but after viewing the following wanted posters from police sketch artists, this career path may be an alternative worthy of further consideration.

Sketch #1

This person is wanted for robbery, and we have whittled the list of suspects down to human beings... who wear dark sunglasses...



Sketch #2

Be on the lookout for this suspect who definitely has one nose and one chin.



Sketch #3

I may apply for a job at this agency in Portugal as a I am guessing that their sketch artist resigned mid-drawing*:



In sum, I am brushing up on my coloring with the little ones, and I'll let you all know how my exciting future as a police sketch artist proceeds.

___________________________________________________________

The idea for this post was taken from the Huffington Post's recent article entitled The 14 Funniest Police Composite Sketches, and you can see more humorous wanted person drawings there.

-----------------------

*Note: This image was not officially released by police, but was recreated by members of the media after interviewing persons who met with authorities.

28 comments:

Midlife Jobhunter said...

Ha! Practice makes better artists all around. Building your skill set - very important. Might as well be something fun.

Yuriko said...

Sketch # 2 looks like this guy I see at the store.. but he doesn't wear a hat that far down... hmmm.. is there a reward? :)

That's an interesting point about building your skill set. I'm practicing sitting for long periods of time. I wonder what I can qualify for...

slowvelder said...

Haha - great post - just sometimes things like this make me a little worried about the future of the human race!

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Love this post-it's hilarious!!! Good luck with the coloring!

Aphrodite's Mortal Friend (ME) said...

Portugal, hu? Found you on Confessions ... nice Top Three ... feel free to stop by my place- I'm your newest follower :-)

Darla Dixon, Artist said...

Actually, the art doesn't have to be "good." Please see this article I wrote that explains why even a "bad" police sketch can be a good police sketch. A good police sketch doesn't equal good art. There's a difference and this article will explain why. Why some police sketches are horrible

Erin said...

Hahahahahahahhahahhaahhaha

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
This reminds me of every verbal description, right?

Who took your purse?
He was big. Very big.

And that's it! As for the top part of the post, it is Very encouraging to us interdisciplinary thinkers. That Dairy Queen job is in the bag!

Thanks for the laughs and encouragement,
Ann T.

Krista said...

LOL! These are awesome!

To be honest though, they've got me beat on the drawing skills scene. Most three year olds can draw better than I can though so really it's not saying much. ;o)

angelcel said...

Unbelievable isn't it?! I guess there's hope for us all then! :D

gladwellmusau said...

Well, I guesss everyone starts from somewhere. So...there you go!

Blessings,

Gladwell

Confessions From A Working Mom said...

Those sketches are hilarious! They fall under the category of "no responsible news producer (aka, me!) would put them on tv"-- they don't show anything, LOL!

By the way, I am still on career #1 (job #2); but I'm always looking for other opportunities!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Audrey Allure said...

Haha great photos.

Jeanette K. said...

One time I saw a police sketch that, i kid you not, looked like E.T. Funniest thing ever.

Dan said...

I have spotted the suspect in #1 - Steven Spielberg has him locked in a backlot studio. ET phone home now!

Drawings have at least improved some since the advent of the identikit.

Having once been a witness to an incident involving fatalities, I can say that the adrenaline and fear make it really hard to form clear coherent memories around the time. That makes it exceedingly hard to provide the sketch artist with usable starting points. So I'd suspect a lack of artistic expertise is not a critical factor. {*grin*}

Luisa Doraz said...

One has to do what one has to do! lol :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Hey, I can draw stick figure too. kinda. Maybe that should be my new career ambition.

Yeah, I always love those criminal descriptions. The suspect is a guy. Yep that narrows it down considerably.

SuziCate said...

Sketch #3 looks like I might have been the "artist", ha!

Katherine said...

WOW! What a funny, wonderful, visually COOL room You have! Thank You for dropping by so that I could drop by. Cheers and Namaste.

J. J. in Phila said...

Just what I needed to make my day!!!

:)

(My composite is above.)

Amanda West said...

Haha! Oh my gosh.

That's just sad.

terri said...

I think even I could compete in the police sketch artist arena! In fact that last one looks exactly like something I might draw!

Miss Caitlin S. said...

hahah good idea! And definitely seems like you're needed! Those are the suspects? Holy hell!

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
I thought about doing that with the art classes I took a LONG time ago in H.S.
Trouble is, anyone I drew looked like some DISNEY character!

And remember what Mom told us...always color INSIDE THE LINES!

:)

Momma Fargo said...

So funny, yet so very true. YIKES! I came and snooped at your blog since you found mine. I am now a follower. Love your blog!

suzanneme said...

Wow, I could probably do those with my eyes closed. great post!

Nikole Hahn said...

Sketch #2 looks a little like Michael Jackson. Sketch #1: mmmm....I may have seen that guy somewhere...let me think...oh yeah, it looks like my husband in full camo. ROFL>

 ALH said...

Wow, it seems like anyone could do better than those drawings. You better get on that! You could help solve some of those cases!