Potpourri

Awards

First, I apologize for being tardy with my award duties.

Thank you to Suzicate and Doraz for graciously presenting me with the Sunshine Award.



Second, Natalie at Martin Enterprises gave me the Happy 101 Award.



With Natalie's generous gift, I have to list ten things that make me happy, so here goes:

1) Melting snow.

2) Gold medal-winning Olympians who no one gave a chance to finish first.

3) A 3rd grade basketball player who just scored the second basket of his career hours after learning that his grandfather had passed away.

4) Pecan pie and vanilla ice cream.

5) Reading to my children.

6) Playing catch with a dog.

7) Running alone.

8) Being half-way done with a good book.

9) Hitting the snooze button.

10) Remembering the holidays as a child.
With the awards, I am instructed to pass them along to others, and since I have two, the following folks are welcome to accept both, one, or none--no pressure.

--Diary from Scotland

--Proud Military Mom

--Binky's Alternate Reality

--What You Do Not Know Because You are Not me

--BobKat’s Lair

--Pradateufelchen

--Nikole Hahn's Journal

For what to do with the awards and rules, see Suzicate's post.

Note: The Happy 101 Award's rules are the same, you just have to list 10 things that make you happy in addition to the other requirements.

---------------------

Now, after discussing images of flowers and pretty awards, I think I need a moment to regain a portion of my masculinity.

Please excuse the following manly photos to help me realign the equilibrium of my blog.



Note: The football image is from this site, and the venison jerky photo is from here.

Ok thanks, back to the post--and just be glad I did not include armpits or feet...

---------------------------------

Odds and Ends

To ensure that any free time I have is not wasted, I'd like to thank the following bloggers for sending me free books.

--> Nikole at Nikole Hahn's Journal sent me Diane Mott Davidson's mystery novel Dark Tort.

--> Reggie at Grains of Sand sent me a copy of her excellent book entitled Gold Mines, Elephants and Foefie Slides: An Adventurous Weekend on the Garden Route.

--> Also, a big thank you to Sean Fraser aka The Dolls Point Blogger who met inspirational survivor Judith Sleavin in New Zealand (whose story I discussed in these two posts), purchased her book, and sent me a copy with a personal message inscribed by Ms. Sleavin.

Thanks again to everyone--the readers and writers. The blogging experience continues to amaze me.

24 comments:

Confessions From A Working Mom said...

Congrats on the awards! I love how you redeemed your "man-card" (that's what my DH always calls it) with the pictures at the bottom, especially the beef jerky. But venison? Oh ick. My brother-in-law hunts AND makes his own venison beef jerky... then tries to give it to me!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Janna Qualman said...

Mmm... jerky...

Congrats on all those shinies!

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Congrats on the awards!!! And the manly pictures. Enjoy your books!

Herding Cats said...

That's a great list of things that make you happy. I especially like "being half-way done with a good book." Such an amazing feeling!

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
Congratulations on the cakes and flowers! They go good with the hearts and scrolls already awarded! I'm with you on the reading, the snooze alarm, and the pecan pie (no ice cream) and the jerky.

I'm already a reader at BobKat's, and I have to agree with you there. Very thoughtful reading. I'm looking forward to reading along some of the other awardees.

And you know, sometime when you're free and have no obligations ( LOL ) you should make a Beef Jerky award. You can give it to the ten best manly blogs. Ha ha! That would be the bomb! Or the venison: The Deer Jerky Best Blog . . .

However, I already know that you rarely sleep, so I'll just imagine the faces of those presented with same.

Happy day to you,
Ann T.

Javajune said...

I love your list its so personal and thoughtful. Congrats on your awards. So glad you were able to maintain your masculinity after recieving such sweet rewards.
xo-jj

Nikole Hahn said...

Thank you! :o) I have posted my award and accepted it with thanks. I have also put a mention of you on my website as a thank you.

Proudmilitarymom said...

Why thanks you! Now it will be a bit before I pass it on- I am technologically challenged!

suzicate said...

Football and beef jerky! What a way to keep balanced! Congrats on your awards...can't wait to check out your recipients. A 3rd grade basketball player who just scored the second basket of his career hours after learning that his grandfather had passed away.
~That is truly something to make you happy! Love the pie and ice cream as well!

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Ditto on the congrats!

**Remembering holidays as a child...now that takes me back to a much simpler time...when all seemed right with the world (which in and of itself seemed a LOT large, too).

WTG!

Tamika: said...

Congratulations on all the awards! You deserve them- and I never thought for a minute that you lost your masculinity!

Holly said...

Congrats! #2 is my favorite part of the Olympics...to me that is what really makes the games special.

pradateufelchen said...

wow - first of all thanks I guess - but I'm not quite sure what this is all about - it is the first time I hear about the awards....is there anything I have to do now? :-)

Audrey Allure said...

Congrats on the awards! Melting snow makes me happy as well, and mmm jerky!

Midlife Jobhunter said...

Geez, Slam Dunk. You have been most busy. Congrats on the award and the free books. The jerky and football big at my house. BTW, that little third grader that made the basket? Any relation?

FD said...

1) Artistically carving out deep snow, with a perennial anticipation and true appreciation of Spring.

2) Competing at any level, knowing that winning has absolutely nothing to do with who might be judged by others to have come in “first”.

3) A basketball player who skips a whole week of practice and games, to mourn his mother’s untimely passing.

4) Homemade, dark molasses shoe-fly pie ......... with vanilla ice cream (topping off a dinner of venison stew).

5) Teaching my children by example.

6) Playing fetch with the dog, with hide-and-seek thrown in for mutual pleasure.

7) Sauntering ........... alone.

8) Being able to get all the way through a good book, without reading the first and last chapters ahead.

9) Disabling the snooze button, realizing that down time is a fool’s waste.

10) Remembering my youth, while knowing that my children and grand-children have a whole different perspective because their perceived “world” isn’t anything like mine.

BobKat said...

Deepest Gratitude, Slam, for your recognition. !

My heart goes out to Chelsea King, at the moment. Another 17 year old murdered. Senseless.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/03/body-of-thought-to-be-that-of-chelsea-king-17-found-in-shallow-grave-near-lake.html

ChickenUnderwear said...

Thanks, I never won a blog award before.

terri said...

Congrats on your awards! You cracked me up with the football and beef jerky!

Natalie said...

I'm so glad you accepted the award! I was wondering how you were going to make it more masculine, and you definitely didn't disappoint! ;)

I too agree with #2, especially in figure skating this set of Olympics! Good stuff.

mrs. fuzz said...

You even retain your masculinity while posting frilly pink blog awards! Funny and interesting post as always. Your blog is the best!

Oh, and I just love the story about the woman in NZ that survived that horrific ordeal and so cool that you were able to connect with another reader and receive her book as well. Small world and an inspiring tale.

AB HOME Interiors said...

Congrats, and I love jerky!

Amanda West said...

Congrats, Dude!

Aidan Donnelley Rowley @ Ivy League Insecurities said...

I love this story, this window into your life, your family, your world.

Thrilled to have found my way to your blog. Thanks for your comment on mine!