A Simple Pleasure and Awards

A Simple Pleasure

After a few years of marriage and the wonderful experience of raising little ones, I think it now requires much less to make me happy. Recently, the Mrs. volunteered me to serve on a committee for a non-profit that was updating their technology plan.

The day after I participated in the first meeting, the chair of the committee saw the Mrs. and expressed to her gratitude for connecting me with their group--that my insights had been excellent.

The Mrs. thanked me for making her look good.

It was a simple pleasure that I likely would have not appreciated in my younger days.

---------------------

I was graciously presented with two awards: Let's Bogie and The Quillfeather.

General Rules of Acceptance for the Awards:

1) Link to the person's blog who gave you the award

2) Give the award to other bloggers and notify them of the recognition (I did 6)

--->Specific Rule for the Quillfeather: 3) List how you prefer your eggs.

--->Specific Rule for the Let's Bogie: 3) Discuss 5 things about yourself

---------------------



Writer and excellent blogger Stina Lindenblatt over at Seeing Creative presented me with the Quill Feather.

Interestingly, Stina reports that she was told by a high school guidance counselor not to even bother with applying to a university: "That I would never succeed."

She does not state whether or not that she sent a copy of her MS degree after graduation to the man with the wildly inaccurate assessment (as I would have been tempted to do).

In any event, I prefer my eggs scrambled.

---------------------



Second and for the Let's Bogie Award, humorous police blogger Momma Fargo presented me this distinction.

She describes police encounters with her wit and wisdom--even when they involve kids and sledding:

"I often sled with kids in my cop uniform. Did so just yesterday. We all love it...the kids, the parents, and me. Or at least I thought they did. Except for that one kid when I pushed him off his sled and commandeered it. It was a police emergency."

Her blog is a fun read.

In accordance to the rules, here are five tidbits about me:

Number 1--Through my four years of high school, I had a massive crush on a cheerleader with an outgoing personality. Despite being an introvert, I was somehow able to become friends with her, but never worked the courage up to ask her out on a date. We even attended the same university and talked regularly during the following four years of undergrad.

Related to my failure to impress her--I only scored one touchdown in my high school football career. After the big play, the players were pumped and the crowd was cheering. The coaches even replayed the video the next day several times to boast about it, but where was my cheerleader friend when it happened?

She had gone home ill at halftime and missed my one shining moment.

Oddly enough, the cheerleader is now married to someone with my same last name.

Who said that God does not have a sense of humor?

Number 2--As a child I idolized my father "the Marine." In our backyard, I could regularly be seen marching barefoot with my backpack full of books and carrying a child's muzzle loader rifle. I am glad their is no photographic evidence of this as my hat was soldier green, my canteen was red, and my backpack happened to be bright orange--I likely resembled a peacock more than a grunt.

Number 3--I have enjoyed singing to my children while pushing them in strollers or in swings in the backyard or at the playground. My favorites, well, are comprised of an eclectic group of songs--with a healthy dose of 19th century military marches and church hymns.

When the children are school aged, their music teacher will likely be confused regarding how their favorite songs are Goober Peas and Low in the Grave He Lay.

Number 4--Several years ago, my mother suffered a short and painful battle with cancer that ended her life. Prior to her diagnosis, my parents visited the Southern city where I lived and were able to go to lunch with the gal I had just started dating.

Mom and my new girlfriend hit it off and they both enjoyed the lunch immensely. It was the one and only time that mom got to spend time with the Mrs.

Number 5--In elementary school, I received two paddlings from teachers for poor behavior. The first grade incident was for wrestling during story time, and the fifth grade incident was for, um, playing a boys tough guy game outside music class that involved hitting your friends in the lower lower midsection.

My kids have never let me hear the end of those examples of unruliness.

---------------------------

And the Awards Go to...

Finally, here are six excellent bloggers that I pass these awards to (Note: You are welcome to accept both awards, one of them, or none of the recognition--no pressure):

1) CL Beck: Write Up My Alley: Published author who always has something funny to say.

2) Rainbow Gulf of Love: I am always inspired after a visit to Gladwellmusau's blog.

3) Ann T. Hathaway: One of my favorite bloggers--great insights on politics, current events, policing, and life. She even splashes in super photos to show her many talents.

4) Riversongs: Great photography--I enjoy her views of nature.

5) Luke I Am Your Father aka James (Seattle Dad): A father with a big heart and a talent for telling stories.

6) Parasailing Poet: Talented writer and reflective thinker.

----------------

Thanks to all who stop by and read my posts.

32 comments:

Momma Fargo said...

Congrats! And liked your comments about yourself. Now, I will go seek out your recommendations. Have a great day!

PS. Thanks for the nice things you said about me. Much appreciated.

Rowe said...

Always interesting finding out new things about fellow bloggers, SD. I also lost my mum to cancer, she died within weeks of her diagnosis. Glad to hear your wife and mum got to meet each other before your mum left.

gladwellmusau said...

Thank you for your kind words. I accept the award with a cheerful heart. Hmmh...I hope I will be about to get through this technical stuff... believe me, I am still a novice when it comes to the mechanics behind the tags and links.

But I will try...

Gladwell

Javajune said...

Congrats on the awards. I loved the story about your crush on the cheerleader. So sad that your mom only met your wife once but one is better then none. Love your stories. Enjoy the next 2 weeks while I'm on vacation. I'll catch up when I get back.
xo-jj

Midlife Jobhunter said...

Fun post, Slamdunk. Occasionally I sign my husband up for things, too. He first groans, then enjoys the giving. Thanks for the insight into yourself. Good stories. Glad your wife was able to meet your mom. Especially like the swings with your kids.

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Congrats! Too bad she missed the touchdown and how sweet the Mrs. got to at least meet your mom once. Sweet sweet stories!

rattlerjen said...

What a fun blog. I came to check it out after your gracious comment on my blog. Thanks for reading BTW. I caught myself several posts in on yours and realized a ton of time passed.
Your awards are well deserved. Your writing is very smooth, coherent, and fun to read. I applaud you for your humor and skill.
I am hitting your bio next. Who is this interesting person anyway.
BTW thanks for reading my blog and the comment you left.

RattlerJen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luisa Doraz said...

Thank you for sharing some of your wonderful memories with us! CONGRATS to you! :)

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Congrats of the awards...you must be doing something right...!
I also find your take on things enlightening.

As to things that make one happy...age (and wisdom) play a large part in determining what it is that turns our frowns upside down.
When we were young, it was the BIG things that got our attention.
As we mature, we look "back" at the smaller things, to see what we missed as kids...and often find so much more than we CAN appreciate...

Just part of the circle of life, I suppose.
Helluva cool ride, isn't it?

:)

jaymiethorne said...

Congrats to all the recipients on the awards! I loved hearing some odd bits about you. Really cool that your mom got to meet the Mrs.

Krista said...

This post is great fun. I LOL at the part about punching each other in the lower lower midsection. How funny are boys?! haha!

suzicate said...

Congrats on your well deserved awards and looking forward to visiting your recipients.

Meadowlark said...

Re: #2. I just bet you did!

YoungSon did the same thing, but after a year in Europe as an exchange student and moving to the "hippy" side of the state we thought we'd lost him. He grew a full beard, was working on an organic, sustainable farm, almost a freegan, but after he decided to get married, something clicked and he called on my birthday to say "Mom, I ship next June as a cryptolinguist". I'm still stoked!!!

Sorry to ramble on. Thanks for being a friend. Peace.

carma said...

wrestling during story time - you should have been given extra credit for livening things up :D

mrs. fuzz said...

I can always expect to enjoy a good story when i visit your blog. You never fail to make me smile or laugh. And like Ann T. said in the previous post. Another riveting missing persons story! I'm not the best commenter but I truly love reading your blog. So does HF.

CL Beck, author: MormonMishaps said...

Congrats on receiving those two well-deserved awards. And thanks so much for passing them to me. So nice of you!

Loved your post today ... had to laugh at your hooliganism in elementary school. What a BAD boy! :) Really, if that's the worst you ever did, they should have given you the "best kid in the school" award.

Glad your mom was able to meet the Soon-To-Be Mrs., but sad that she's not around now to enjoy her grandkids.

Thanks again for the honor of the awards. You're such a good guy!

Triple Nickel said...

Your stories of early childhood brought back a flood of memories. Having been "very active" at catholic school I empathize with you. Great blog!

Tamika: said...

Congratulations on all the awards! You deserve them!

I enjoyed learning more about you. I sing to my youngest daughter in the bath tub every night. It's our little choir rehearsal!

Kristen @ Motherese said...

Congratulations on your awards! I enjoyed learning these tidbits about you, especially the story about your high school touchdown and the MIA cheerleader. I was also sorry to learn about your mom, but happy to hear that she had the chance to meet your wife and your wife had the chance to meet her.

SLN said...

HA!! Wonder if that cheerleader knows that you are building cyber space today- JK- I only know you are in to tech too!! Grat post!

Kristin said...

I'm so sorry about your Mom! How lovely that she got to spend at least a little time with your wife.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Thanks so much for the Awards man. I very much appreciate that you thought of me and also the gracious comment about my writing.

May or may not get to passing them along. Time will tell.

Thanks again.

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
I'm late to the fair today, because I had condo board meeting tonight and it was all dollars and Treasurer stuff. But oh, what a wonderful surprise! Thank you!

I will definitely be checking the blogs you noted. You've never steered me wrong yet.

In re: your introduction, that really is a wifely pleasure, to have a supportive and knowledgeable husband to show off--

And I have no doubt she enjoyed it. I am very glad she got to meet your mother. That means a lot, in many different pockets and pieces of life.

Sincerely,I thank you,
Ann T.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

hahah cute. I love the cheerleader story - sounds like she never got you out of her mind :) i welled up at the story of your mom and your wife. How lovely that she got to meet her before she passed.

Eternally Distracted said...

i can't believe the cheerleader missed your glory... but your first paragraph leads me to think that things turned out better for you in the end :0)

LadyFi said...

Life is indeed good once we start appreciating the small moments of pleasure in life.

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
It's up! I hope you like it. I had a blast writing the Maltese Chicken!

Thanks again,
Ann T.

Selma said...

You certainly deserve these awards and many more. It was good to learn more about you.

Candice said...

Loved reading more about you.

Was wondering yor thoughts on whether Jeffry Dahmer may have killed Adam Walsh...

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Oh believe me, the temptation was there to mail him a copy of my MSc degree. ;)

essay writing said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my term papers writing research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards