Tuber of the Week #30: Great News (for Stalkers)

A few weeks ago, a new camera phone application, called Recognizr, made its debut in Europe.



Recognzr employs facial recognition technology to compare digital photos, and then locates personal information about the subject in the image.

In short, the user photographs a person using a cell phone, presses a button, and then can view the pictured person's name and other details.

Fortunately, this program currently requires participants to opt in before their names and numbers are visible to other subscribers; thus, reducing the chance for misuse.



I am sure that nothing could go wrong with this business model.

Something like this would never occur: a large sorority signs up for fun, and, weeks later, sketchy guys at a bar take a cell phone photograph of one of the participating young woman. The creepy dudes then instantly access all of the college student's personal information while seated across the room from her.

No, no way.

Or, a vengeful guy fraudulently registers with the service, provides someone else's image, and forges paperwork so that the name, address, email, and phone number of his ex-girlfriend is available for users worldwide to access.

No, I am certain reasonably sure guessing that these and other personal safety issues have all been addressed.

In any event, this scary technology will likely result in Internet users uploading more photographs of themselves showing only facial profiles, their backsides, or doing their best impersonations of the headless horseman.

----------------------------

I first saw this story here.

30 comments:

JennyMac said...

This application is frightening.

Kristin said...

Ummmmm. Creepy!!!

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
And we all really "need" such a technolgy...WHY?

Don't we already suffer from a lack of privacy as it is?

I'm w/ JennyMac & Kristen here - this really creeps me out.

Herding Cats said...

This is so stupid! WHY do we NEED something like this?! Technology needs to back off!

LadyFi said...

Oh goodness... sounds very creepy! Shame that technology is being used for bad purposes as well as good ones.

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

We were told about this at work last week!!! That's flippin' craziness...glad my bar days are over.

Elana Johnson said...

Wow. At first I thought this was a joke. Now I'm just freaked out.

Momma Fargo said...

Ha! I'm with you...just like cell phone makers never saw children sexting on their phones...

Kristen @ Motherese said...

Creepy indeed. Just what the world needs...

Colin Bird said...

Can see the use for government agencies, but for joe public...scary stuff!

Stephanie Faris said...

EEEK! I can't even see the benefit to this. Who would want to provide their information to a service like this?

Conquer The Monkey said...

truly freaky.

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
I agree with your take and that of everybody here! Way to upset my private life! A definite chance for crime to win against the innocent.

Umm, given that it's coming, I wonder what we will do to counteract it? Saying we wish it will disappear is not going to answer.

In the meantime, going to buy a hat.

Ann T.

Christopher said...

Though I can say this... in law enforcement hands, it could be a useful (albeit potentially mis-usable) tool. It seems like none of the guys we really want to ID every carry ID's.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Wow, where will we go next? Sometimes tech advancements aren't advancements for society as a whole. Interesting.

Lipstick said...

oh my...this is creepy. I sort of feel like I need to go take a shower just from reading about it.

But thanks for sharing. ;)

C.L. Beck, author of Mormon Mishaps said...

Oh, that is so creepy. And scary. Like we're not all tooooo available to stalkers as it is!

Beth said...

This is so creepy! Creepy along with the general progression of technology. Some of it's good, but I know that I'm not comprehending all of the creeper uses and abuses of it.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

that sounds kinda like a stalker waiting to happen...

Rowe said...

I heard about this recently, though not all the details. This makes it a little clearer. Off to get a balaclava now!!

Krista said...

Oh my goodness. The very idea makes me nauseous. Big thumbs down from me!!!

angelcel said...

The potential for mis-use is just enormous and as someone in 'the most surveilled country in the world', where massive security leaks have occurred (like CDs of highly sensitive personal data being left on trains) I can tell you that I'm not even very happy at the authorities getting their mitts on this! How depressing.

jaymiethorne said...

Wow, that is some scary stuff.

T. Anne said...

My husband was telling me about this and I didn't believe him LOL! He wins.

Portia said...

I agree--this is creepy! I wonder who thought this was a *good* idea.

I noticed in the newest iPhoto software it "learns" faces, and I can see the usefulness for sorting purposes as long as it's information that stays on your personal computer and isn't shared.

SuziCate said...

Some technology is fabuous, and some leave me ahaking my (like this) thinking about the ways in shich people will misuse it,

Confessions From A Working Mom said...

That is totally creepy-- and fodder for stalkers! I am so glad that I still use my outdated cell phone!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Nathalie said...

oh well, I think this high technology stuff is really bringing so many problems with it... well, no way back, is it?!!
*Nathalie

terri said...

Creepy. Seriously creepy.

zorindha said...

This is scary indeed, it seems like it's just bound to be misused...