A Happy Ending and an Observation

I'll have the third post in my series on Christine Walters: Missing Person ready next Monday.

Today, I'll go with a missing persons case with a happy ending and what similarities exist between it and two other active investigations.

________________________________________________________

I was happy to see that there was a jubilant ending to the case of a missing child last week in Florida:

A missing 11-year-old central Florida girl with Asperger syndrome was found alive on Tuesday, four days after she disappeared into an alligator-infested swamp a half-mile from her suburban home.

Nadia Bloom was taken to a hospital in nearby Longwood, Fla., where she will be evaluated and treated for dehydration and insect bites, said Winter Springs Police Chief Kevin Brunelle.

Bloom was located early Tuesday morning in waist-deep water near Lake Jessup, (by volunteer James King) CBS affiliate WKMG reports.

"If I never believed in miracles, I sure do now," Brunelle said during an afternoon news conference.

Brunelle said Nadia told rescuers two things: "I'm glad you guys found me" and "I can't believe you guys rescued me..."




Assuming Mr. King's story is legitimate, the circumstances related to finding Nadia Bloom and the remains of Caylee Anthony have some commonalities.

The missing girls were not found by police dogs, helicopters, or professional searchers.

They were discovered by concerned citizens looking close to the locations that each girl vanished.

In Bloom's case, she was recovered in a place that authorities had not yet searched--about 1/2 mile from her home.

Anthony's body was found by meter reader Ray Kronk in a wooded area with a water source that is 1/4 of a mile from Anthony's home. It was an location that authorities had searched multiple times.

Comments from police like: "Well, our dogs did not hit on a scent near there" or "we searched that area already" seem to mean little when investigating cold missing persons cases.

What about the cases of Brianna Maitland and Ray Gricar?

Is it worth searching areas again, especially those with water, for evidence?

In the Maitland investigation, authorities did just that late last year.

Related to Gricar, no such additional searches have been reported by authorities.

Perhaps, the effort in finding Mr. Gricar is currently focused on theories that he fled his life voluntarily and there is nothing more to find in the Lewisburg area where he vanished--despite a wooded area about 1/2 mile from the recovery of his car known as the Montandon Marsh.

--------------------

Photo was used from here.

23 comments:

Holly said...

Wow...that is amazing. I am so happy to hear when a missing person is found alive.

mrs. fuzz said...

This was an amazing story. So glad it had a happy ending. We need more of these kinds of stories.

Tasneem R said...

That's great she has been rescued !

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Glad they found her...I know that would be my worst case scenario because I hate bugs!!!

Javajune said...

I'm so relieved to hear that she is okay, I love happy endings. Missed your stories while I was gone.
xo-jj

Javajune said...

So glad to hear she is okay, love happy endings. Missed your stories while I was away.
xo-jj

Tara said...

I was thrilled when I read this on the net. Of course, I'm pretty jaded, so I'm on the fence about this guy that found her. I hope it's on the up and up. Regardless, she's alive, that's what matters most.

J. J. in Phila said...

Nadia Bloom suffers from a form of autism. A recall another small boy, also with autism, surviving unscathed in a swamp.

I have often thought that people with autism think differently, not "wrongly." They look at the world radically differently than most people, but not necessarily wrongly.

Nadia's ability to see the world differently might have helped he survive. That might be a lesson for all of us.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Having a child with AS, the first one cut deep. Glad they found her.

suzicate said...

I love happy endings. We so rarely hear the good stuff these days. Thank you!

J. J. in Phila said...

On the Gricar case, there is also a wooded area, fairly large, north east of Montandon Marsh. Even the furthest end of the wooded area is within 2.5 miles, by foot, of the spot where the car Mr. Gricar was driving was found.

So far as I know, neither the march nor the wooded area was ever searched.

Aphrodite's Mortal Friend (ME) said...

Miracles do and can happen- and that one is simply one of the dearest ones I have ever heard ;-)

Creepy Query Girl said...

Yes, I much prefer a happy ending. And whenever I hear stories like this, I think of my own children. I don't care if they've already searched, i wouldn't want anyone to rest until my child's found- even if it means searching and researching the same areas.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

I am so happy she was found! I saw news about her and I'm so glad she's okay. Poor thing. I would say it's interesting and worth it to search other areas around. If (God forbid) someone I knew went missing I would want all corners searched.

Gayle @ Mountain Mom said...

I was glad they found her as well. Just goes to show you what a determined, prayerful person can do!

Nikole Hahn said...

I'm glad she was found. I love how you have a missing monday section. Have a great day!

Luisa Doraz said...

I am also very happy that this person has a happy ending. :) Have a great week.

Portia said...

Thank god for that concerned citizen. These stories are always amazing, but the one in a million happy ending shines so bright amongst all of the ones that end so tragically ...

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
The idea of searching watery areas and wooded ones is really good. I used to live fairly close to swamps, and we have had serial killers use them, for instance. Also it isn't hard to think someone might try to hide there, or hide a cache of money there, and get stuck. Or lost on an impulse, or any number of horrible outcomes.

Murky waters.
I love these posts,
Ann T.

LadyFi said...

Thank goodness she was found alive!

Momma Fargo said...

That was a great ending. Mysterious, tho. Cops should know better than to make comments like that. We can search an area, but miss things...human error...or good hiding places...or water, current, moves...environment, etc. Searching more than once in cold cases is a great idea.

Kimi said...

I saw the news about it. It really is a positive ending compared with other news concerning missing persons. Such a break from all the bad story endings one hears. Just thinking about another missing person story I heard about two days ago of a woman's body found (missing and found after 20 YEARS LATER) in her own house after contruction workers were working on it. You tell me, how could no one find her 20 years ago in her own house? I believe when a person goes missing, the location they might be is probably closer within the area than one thinks. Thanks for sharing!

Janna Qualman said...

Thank goodness! If only more cases ended this way.

And SD, while I'm here, I wanted to say... I hope my post from yesterday (whether you read it or not) won't scare you away. I'd claimed my intention of writing for women, but men are welcome, too, especially at my blog! ;)