On the Denver Broncos and Tim Tebow

I am violating my personal goal of only four posts per week and I apologize to the 95% of my readers who could care less about the National Football League (NFL) draft, but I had one observation after the first round was conducted last night...
_______________________________________________

Whether you are a Tim Tebow hater or supporter, he certainly is worth a gamble of being drafted somewhere--there are plenty of lousy NFL quarterbacks on rosters and can he be any worse?



I understand the criticism that Denver Broncos General Manager Brian Xanders and Head Coach Josh McDaniels are receiving for drafting Tebow in the mid-first round.

Personally, I did not expect to see him taken until the second round, but I think the Broncos management should be congratulated for making some great business decisions.

They traded back in the first round, obtained an additional pick later, and still drafted Tebow or "their guy." This is important considering the Bills were likely maneuvering to select Tebow in the late first round.

Now, contrast this to what the Jacksonville Jaguars' management did yesterday.

They selected Tyson Alualu with the 10th pick. Alualu may turn out to be a great player, but in almost every scenario, he would have still been available later in the first round if not even fallen to the second round.

In 2007, the Dolphins made a similar blunder with Ted Ginn, Jr., after their management fell in love with the guy's skills and selected him at #9 overall.

Ginn most certainly would have been available later in the draft, but the Dolphins failed to realize this and trade back. After three so-so years in Miami, the Dolphins gave away their former prized player for a measly 5th round draft pick a few weeks ago.

In sum, the Jaguars selected "their guy," but did not get him at a value price. The Broncos, in stark contrast, landed "their guy" and picked-up a good something else--a true bargain.

Even if Tebow is a total bust, the Broncos made a great short-term economic move considering all of the extra publicity, ticket sales, and team gear that will now be demanded.

For example:

Tebow's jersey is already selling at $79.99 on NFL.com and he has not yet been assigned a number.
_____________________________________

Ok, I'll be back to regular post topics on Monday. Have a good weekend.

22 comments:

Expat From Hell said...

Hey, I am all for versatility! Especially yours, SD. Good for you for expanding into some sports talk. I am not sure that TT is NFL material (considering that Jax was thinking of keeping him local), but like you said, there are far worse in the NFL. Hey, maybe he'll end up missing someday, and he can be the subject of your regular blog! Blessings....EFH

Sue said...

I'm glad to see Tebow get into the NFL, and I'm especially glad he didn't go to the Bills. My husband has a thing against the Bills for some reason and I'd never hear the end of it.

I think Tebow's worked well for this reward. So did many of the other picks we saw (I only watched a little bit of it, my husband filled me in on the rest). It's always nice to see a dream come true for somebody.

Reid Fischer said...

Bold move for sure. I think you make a good point, there is no guarantee any of the other QBs taken in this draft will be good either. I think Tebow is a high character guy and that is what the Broncos have been missing.

Momma Fargo said...

Who the hell is Tebow? LOL

Confessions From A Working Mom said...

I have to say, I love this post! I'm a TT hater-- I don't respect UofF's program, even with Urban Meyer at the helm. I was disappointed to see him drafted ahead of Colt McCoy, whom I think really has a lot of upside as an NFL QB.

That said, I absolutely, positively agree with you that the #10 pick was the worst of the first round. Alualu was so far off everybody's charts, even ESPN didn't have a live camera at his house. I have to say, though, I felt a little badly for the guy; after he was chosen (probably the best moment of his young life), he was roundly slammed by just about every draft analyst on TV.

~Elizabeth

Dan said...

At least now there is a counter-point to Orton - and a possible winner given the work ethic he has shown at Florida.

Best case: a return to the days of Elway.
Worst case: a few years and gone.

kathryn said...

I'm sorry. Did you say something? All I heard was "blah, blah football....blah, blah....draft...first round...(swing your partner), second round...blah."

Ahem.

Sorry....I couldn't resist.

Luisa Doraz said...

I have to say that I do not watch football these days, but I am happy you are so passionate about the sport. Have fun with it. :)

Portia said...

Wow, you're right! On the financial side, it does kinda make sense ...

The Babaylan said...

Tebow!!!

Robynn's Ravings said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by and hair or no hair, gray or purple, we gotta do what we gotta do!

And I LOVE Tim Tebow so that's a GREAT subject anytime! :)

Blessings to you!!!

Pia said...

thank you for praying for us and everything on my list. God bless you and your family always. =D

Audrey Allure said...

Haha, I don't know anything about football. But I can understand you narrowing down your posts - I make more time during tennis season too. haha

suzicate said...

I did not personally watch the draft, but you can bet the three men in my house did and there has been much after discussion!

Writing Without Periods! said...

What a good looking guy. I'd wear his t-shirt anytime.
Mary

tattytiara said...

Yeah, boy, those footballers and their football stuff with the, um, football, um...

I'm just going to go ahead and agree with everything you said.

Whatever it was.

T. Anne said...

I know nothing of football with the exception of USC and even that is miniscule. Although ironically I look forward to football because it means it's fall and that's my favorite season. Sorry to make you read all the way through my comment!

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
I know nothing about this sports gig, but I have to write anyway.

You won an award, the Honest Scrap. However, I stated very clearly that you Pre-Qualified! I think you have done this so much it sometimes screws with your plan. Plus you do all this research that takes time.

Anyway, you may comply with as few or as many of the rules you like. It is only a Token of my Esteem.

Take care, and I'm still knocked out by your blog,

Ann T.

Police Girl said...

Hi! I don't know much about football, but I'm glad I cam across your blog!

I'll be following & commenting on your interesting blog:)

Kimi said...

Football is one of my loves so thanks for sharing something you wanted to share about it. Only for a minute have I heard of Tebow, but now I've stockpiled him into my memory and I've got you to thank : ).

Miss Caitlin S. said...

The Broncos are my team!! I was perplexed by this but I blindly wish them well!

Suzanne said...

As a UF alumni, that automatically makes me a Tebow fan. As someone who loves to watch NFL football, I will certainly cheer him on. Surprised he was drafted in the first round, but only time will tell on how he does professionally.