Parents Score First, but Kids Rally

Note: Dee over at Say Anything was kind enough to interview me for her blog. 

What is my favorite post?  What is my unofficial motto?  When did I perform with the Boston Pops?

Ok, the answer to the third question is "never," but you can read about the first two here.

In the meantime...

---------------------------------------------------

With the daylight hours growing longer, the three-year-old twins decided that restful sleeps are simply an unnecessary annoyance designed to prevent them from their desire for non-stop fun and playing.   As a result, the 8 pm or so bedtime was becoming a dismal failure. 

Much to my surprise, with all of the kid goofing around after 8 pm instead of, well, sleeping, the little Energizer Bunnies began waking up ready to start the day before 6 am--despite mom and dad's desperate attempts for a few additional fleeting moments of sweet slumber.

The Mrs. and I discussed the situation and realized that it must be the sun's fault--setting later in the evening and then offering a sunrise early in the morning to wake-up our little people.

Brilliantly, mom located and purchased cheap blackout curtains for each kiddo's room.


We can't change the seasons, but we can fool the little ones into not knowing that it is morning yet.

After a week of use, the blackened rooms were working well--all loud munchkins were sleeping past 7 am (when they are scheduled to).  Making the established bedtime had also improved.

Ecstatic, I gleefully reported the weekly score of us parents versus the children as:

 Parents = 1 & Curtain Climbers = 0 .

A few days after my declaration, my oldest son had this for me:
OLDEST SON: Hey, dad.

SLAMDUNK: Yes.

OLDEST SON: What does 25 degrees Celsius mean?

SLAMDUNK: You want to know what 25 degrees Celsius is in Fahrenheit?  I don't know. I will have to look it up.

Oldest son looks disappointed at Dad's lack of intelligence and continues staring at me.

SLAMDUNK: Why do you ask?

OLDEST SON: 'Cause mom said that the little kids were pushing buttons on the dashboard of her car and changed all the (digital) displays to Celsius and metric or whatever.  She wants you to fix it now--it is driving her nuts.
After having to read the vehicle's ownership manual to decipher the sequence of commands necessary to reprogram the Mrs.' dashboard display back to Fahrenheit, I reluctantly conceded defeat and updated the weekly scoreboard:

Curtain Climbers =1 &  Parents = 1

What is it they say: A tie is like having to kiss your sister? 

Argh...
________________________________________


The image was used from here.

32 comments:

Sister Copinherhair said...

There is always Benedryl...

Elena said...

Make sure to remove those black-out curtains by the time the twins are teens or they'll be sleeping well past noon!

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

This post makes me laugh. A friend's parent growing up could just hit a button for Celcius/meters and then switch it back. So the first time we'd ride in their car, he'd tell us it was an old police car and it had a turbo button. He'd hit the conversion button then rev then engine where the speedometer would go well over 100. After just a few seconds, he would switch it back. Us kids would be in awe until we figured it out!

Matthew Rush said...

I'm afraid removing the curtains won't keep them from sleeping in as teens, at least not on weekends!

Momma Fargo said...

OMG! LMAO! Love this. Off to go read your interview!

Momma Fargo said...

Awesome interview with Dee! Love it.

J. J. in Phila said...

Just remember:

32 F is 0 C
98 F is 37 C
212 F is 100 C

:)

Herding Cats said...

Blackout curtains! Those things are amazing. If those don't work, not sure what will...

Jayne said...

Oh the Summertime mayhem that ensues with lighter evenings ... and when the clocks change. I remember it well!

carma said...

the curtain method = pure genius. An extra hour of sleep is a major score even if you still have to check the temp in degrees Celsius.

Creepy Query Girl said...

Oooh, I'll be sure to check out your interview! How exciting:) I never heard the 'sister' expression. lol. Hilarious.

Midlife Jobhunter said...

Enjoyable post - now that my kids are older. You make your household sound rather calm. Mine went to bed at 7:30 because after all day with them, I turned into the wicked witch at 8pm. Their safety became an issue.

Black curtain - smart wife.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
...LOL - funny story.
You can always go for a tie-BREAKER (extra innings?)

And it all depends WHAT STATE you're from if you kiss your sister that makes the difference...
(at least that's what I was TOLD)

BTW - nice blackout curtains...Churchill would have been PROUD!

:)

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
You are still winning, despite the odds. Remember the kids study you guys all the time. They have free time.

So if you are tying, you still didn't add in the handicap!!

Good luck and great idea!!
Ann T.

Beth said...

New follower. Found you via Say Anything. :)

Kathryn said...

"The Mrs. wanted regular coffee and for the horrible itching to go away when she was pregnant with twins--and she got both wants.

God bless you and your family."


Thanks so much for the comment! Yes, the itching on my stomach is bad, I can only imagine how much worse it was for your wife with
twins!
Have a wonderful day!

terri said...

The kids will find a way to outsmart you every time! I've got to admit that I'm impressed with their ability to change the display on the dashboard!

Dan said...

Having no sisters, I can safely treat a tie as a win. Yea me!

Miss Caitlin S. said...

haha so funny, I love how you are tricking them into thinking it's still nighttime. :) Kids are so cute though I can't imagine what it will be like when I actually have my own.

ocmist said...

My sister, who had 10 kids used the "Christmas Pill"... at least on Christmas Eve. Dramamine worked like a charm! The black-out curtains were brilliant!!!

Stephanie Faris said...

I love black-out curtains. Aren't they the best invention ever???

Audrey Allure said...

Haha, aw I'm sure you will score again soon!

JennyMac said...

Missing children reports always make my stomach churn. I cant imagine a parents terror.

Abigail said...

Excellent idea on the curtains!

Bummer on the car. You might have to call the dealer. They might do it for you for free...but, most likely, they will charge.

suzicate said...

Let us know who is the tie breaker. Who shall we declare the winner? This is a delightful post.

disgruntledwriterscircle said...

Very cute post! Gotta love children.
Thanks for swinging by my blog. I like yours as well and am adding you to my blogroll :) I want more ofthis scoreboard!

NikoleHahn said...

This had me chuckling. Very nice. Blackout curtains. I'll have to copy your link for your blog onto my cousins fb. She might find black out curtains a useful suggestion. :o)

tattytiara said...

Good interview! I wonder if I could use blackout drapes to fool myself. I'll just need to find a way to trick myself out of realizing that I'm doing it when I hang them.

Luisa Doraz said...

So much fun when they are young...it does continue as they group up..you know. lol :)

MONICA-LnP said...

LOL!love the blackout curtains,they work really great,especially if you have insomnia!

PinkSugarBomb said...

Black out curtains...brilliant! Maybe now I can sleep past 7 too. My son is only one, but his cousin is 2 and loves to wake his cousin up to play. I'll give those as an early Christmas present, muahaha.

blackout window curtains said...

Great post! I am glad the blackout window curtains worked for you and your children. You will find that they block out noise and reduce your utility bills as well. I think people are discovering just how much they are needed these days to get the much-needed sleep we all seem to be lacking.