At the Beach: A Good Deed Rewarded

Excited to be at the beach, our little kiddo crew was digging in the sand early this morning.

Among the beach walkers passing us was a young man sporting reflective sunglasses.   He carried a plastic trash bag half-filled with juice box wrappers, old cans, bottle tops, and other paper garbage.  It was obvious that he has spent his morning walk collecting the trash left behind by inconsiderate people instead of gathering shells or watching the waves.

Draped over his opposite shoulder, was a backpack stuffed to near capacity.  A sippy cup and bottle of child's sunscreen was visible in a side pocket.

On the top of the backpack, was a sticker that said something about Cincinnati, Ohio.  

Behind him, trudged his wife and a five or six year old daughter .

He approached our motley crew and asked, "Excuse me.  Is this where you see the wild horses?"

"Their protected area starts at that fence (which was about 100 yards along the beach farther north)," I replied.

"Finding the wild horses can be difficult," added the Mrs.  "Their habitat is miles long, and sometimes we are fortunate to encounter them once during our two-week stay here," she continued.

"Ok, is there a best time to see the horses?"  the man asked.

"No, it seems to be random," the Mrs. said.

The man thanked us and continued walking with his tired family to the fence. 

Twenty-five minutes later, I glanced over just beyond the fence, and what do you know, there stands three of the wild horses. 


I can see several folks a safe distance from the horse, but watching with excitement. 

My thoughts?

If you spend your morning walking and picking up garbage at the beach, the least the four-legged locals can do is pose for your weary family's photo op.
_____________________________________________

Note: The wild horses of the Outer Banks (NC), are descendants of 16th and 17th Century Spanish Mustangs that survived shipwrecks and made this place their home.   In a previous post, I discussed the horses and the area in greater detail.

Though it fits my story well, I did not take this photo--it was used from here.

37 comments:

Matthew Rush said...

Great story Slam, thanks for sharing.

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Karma works great sometimes. My dad LOVES Outer Banks, he went on his honeymoon there and the man trip every year too. Enjoy your vacay and thanks for checking in with us.

Lipstick said...

Wow that's cool. Thank you so much for sharing!

jinksy said...

And do you build sand castles?

Eternally Distracted said...

Another great story from this here blogger ;0)

MONICA-LnP said...

nice!hope you are having lots of fun family time!

carma said...

and to think I was about to congratulate you on that splendid photo ;-)

we live in the same state as those horses but have yet to go to that beach. May need to schedule a trip. When is it best to see the horses :D

Bob G. said...

SLamdunk:
I did not know you had wild horses in NC...!
(thought they were all out west).
Amazing story.

Krista said...

That is awesome. I love to hear stories like this!

Kristen @ Motherese said...

That story gave me chills (in a good way!) and reminded me of a childhood visit to the Outer Banks. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

ooglebloops said...

Great photo - even if you didn't take it!! We have often seen the horses at Chincoteague, sightings are way more frequent there than where you are. But it makes it that much more special when you do see them!! Too bad the beach cleaner missed it........

WomanHonorThyself said...

the beach mmmmmmmmmmm!

Sister Copinherhair said...

Corolla, huh? Man, I am so jealous. I prefer Nags Head or Kill Devil Hills but I looooove me a drive to Corolla. I've only seen the horses on Ocracoke though.

terri said...

What a cool story, both the history of the wild horses and the fact that they made an appearance for the family who was hoping to catch a glimpse.

LisaF said...

I bet wild horses are a sight to behold. To me, horses are one of the most magnificent and beautiful creatures on earth. I'm glad they cooperated for the photo opp. And thanks for stopping by my place while on vacation and thanks for the nice comment. Hope your vacay is great.

Kell said...

Aww! I wanna see wild horses.

Clara said...

That was so sweet. Thank them horsies, thank them!
Great post as always Slam!

Miss Caitlin S. said...

Don't judge me but I actually know of this beach and the story of the horses from "Jon and Kate plus 8" - pre affairs and divorces, they did a family trip there and I was insanely obsessed with the horses- as they were beautiful and cute. Now, I am loving knowing where you are (not in a creepy way haha just to get a visual for the story) and knowing how beautiful it is!! And a big "aww" for the tired family, I do wish they got a picture too, sounds like it was their last hope before a much-needed nap

kathryn said...

Love, love, LOVE this post.

So sweet...and so gratifying to see karma working for that lovely family.

You've made my day!

Stephanie Faris said...

SO cool! I've heard of Outer Banks...I think I read a book titled that. It's way too far from us, though. Normally we head to beaches about 8 hours away. Someday, maybe I'll journey there just to see the wild horses.

Creepy Query Girl said...

Wild horses on the beach- sounds awesome!

Lydia Kang said...

wow, this brought back memories. When I was a kid my parents would take us on trips to Assateague Island to see the wild horses. They always tried to get something to eat from you. And the horseflies were vicious!
Thanks for sharing!

LadyFi said...

Wow - how exciting! And what gorgeous creatures!

Janna Qualman said...

Awesome story. And you're right. I think the man (and his family) were rewarded with the sighting.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I love the way you told this story - you sucked me in and held me, as all great storytellers do! :-)

T. Anne said...

Sounds like a perfect day at the beach. Awesome picture nevertheless.

Jan said...

Thanks for your great post!

theycallmejane said...

Love this! And you're someplace we've always wanted to visit. Thanks for enticing us to get serious about a vacation there.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

That was a sweet story, Slam Dunks. Glad to see you learned something from it. ;)

Rowe said...

Ah, that man picking up other peoples trash on the beach is salt of the earth. Those magnificent wild horses were sent by angels to reward that man and his family for their good deeds.

ocmist said...

What a wonderful story. So... you have wild horses in NC? We have them out here in CA too. What a blessing to get to see them! I'll have to go look at your other post on them! Grammy from Corgi Country

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
Oh, do you know what this reminds me of??? The Misty of Chincoteague books by Margaret Henry and Illustrated by Wesley Dennis.

I'm so glad they got their view, and doubly glad you are enjoying a fine week.

Ann T.

Selma said...

Serendipity, eh? That is beautiful!

Dan said...

It's always heartening to hear of a good deed being rewarded.

Elena said...

We were at the beach last week too...Ocean Isle Beach. I've always wanted to go to the Outer Banks, maybe next year. Loved the wild horses shot!

angelcel said...

That's what we used to do on our walks at the beach with the girls - go armed with bags and gather the trash left by others! No wild horses here however. That must have been quite a treat to see. :)

James (SeattleDad) said...

Ah, now I see where you are. Sounds like fun.