Fifty Years: A Rerun

Being away from home and short on Internet time, I decided that it would be wise to recycle a few posts.
_________________________________________________________

As a newbie to blogging, I had the silly idea that writing was not so difficult--simply invest lots of enthusiasm and the final product will certainly be prize worthy.

Wow, was I a moron. 

Was?

Ok, maybe I am still am a moron, but at least not with my failure to understand how much that writing is a craft.

I do appreciate the many talented writers who blog and share their suggestions--it can only help me improve.

I see my strength as being able to select an appealing story.  I consider my weaknesses to be, well anything else to do with writing--the mechanics, storytelling, character development, etc.

But, the only way to improve is practice, and that was my goal with the following piece written last year.

With this short post, I attempt to contrast possessions with our legacy by describing a series of events involving an elderly neighbor that I witnessed along with the Mrs.--a story that I use a different approach in retelling.  

In any event, this one is entitled: Fifty Years.

14 comments:

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
And it was lovely then and lovely now.

I don't think you should put down your writing. You have a definite voice and it speaks to many people, including,

Ann T.

Lipstick said...

Recycling is a wonderful thing...
Thank you for sharing and yet another reason why I love your blog.

The story-wow. It made me cry.

Angelia Sims said...

I enjoyed this. It was a little sad, but like every ending, an new beginning. Well done. :-)

Michael said...

I'll admit, the generality of your blog and not so flashy design made me dismiss it at first, but I'm thoroughly impressed by your content. Good thing you commented or I would have never found this simple pleasure. Keep it up!

Theresa Milstein said...

I've seen wild horses at Assateague Island in Maryland, but didn't know they were anywhere else.

Very nice he spent all that time cleaning up the beach. If only more people did that. Or didn't litter in the first place.

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

I think you do a great job storytelling...as long as you get your point across that's all that matters!

Tasneem R said...

Hey I don't see any reason why you should stop writing ! Your blog gives a good read .
The Blogging Test - What kind of blogger are you? http://www.3smartcubes.com/pages/tests/blog_test/blog_test_instructions.asp

CL Beck, author said...

Hope you're having fun on your vacation. I enjoyed the story about the wild horses. Good job! :)

Oh, and thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on the wacky cats!

J. J. in Phila said...

///it was great then and it is still great.

terri said...

I remember reading that the first time you posted it. It is so thought-provoking and beautifully written.

carma said...

Hi Five from another non-writer -- I have trouble writing more than a paragraph on any one topic --- and am always in awe of those who can go on an on and on no matter the topic...

Did Michael insinuate your design was not flashy?? *gasp*

Miss Caitlin S. said...

Blogging is a bit more difficult some days but I think you do a great job, especially since you blog has such a different variety of subjects. That story you wrote was beautiful and I loved how you made dear Mrs. Andrews ending of her chapter into the opening of a book for the little boy with the blue ball.

Clara said...

Slam, keep on writting! You have a gift here, honestly! Actually, Im ordering you right now! Get BACK to writting!Now, Now,Now! =)

malone8 said...

As someone who writes posts, you realize the hardest part of writing is in the rewriting. It's what makes your work so interesting … that and your voice.

All the best - Maxi