Low Speed Chase

With the interest in corn thefts from my last post on Tuesday (7/27/10), I'll have to highlight one of these crimes in a future post. 

Today, I offer this in relation to rural crime...
__________________________

Ok, remember last week when I posted about the family encountering an Amish buggy while visiting a local farm market? 

Well just to clarify, this is not the same buggy:
(LEON, NEW YORK)  Levi Detweiler, a 17-year-old Amish youth, allegedly led sheriff's deputies on a mile-long, presumably low-speed chase, after running a stop sign in his horse and buggy and refusing to pull over...


Deputies said they spotted Detweiler ignoring the stop sign last week. According to police, the teen then led them on a chase that ended when he lost control on a sharp turn into a driveway and overturned the buggy into a ditch.

He then fled on foot...


The Cattaraugus County Sheriff's Office said that after a week-long investigation they have arrested and charged Detweiler with underage possession of alcohol, overdriving an animal, reckless endangerment, failure to stop at a stop sign and failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.


The Amish teen was arrested, charged and is being held on $500 bond at the Cattaraugus County Jail.
Did you notice that one of the charges was "Overdriving an Animal?" 

I had to research that obscure law, but the action is covered by NY Code Section 353 and is a violation chargeable as a misdemeanor.

Anyway, I think young Levi may be soon shoveling lots of horse dung as part of his community service for this grand equine escape.
_______________________

The photo is from the Cattaraugus County Sheriff's Office.

22 comments:

Herding Cats said...

Poor horse!

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
I wonder how much laughing was going on behind the V-6!

But it also reminds me of the horse novel, Black Beauty, and the different kinds of drivers mentioned when he was a hack for hire.

LOL!
Ann T.

Momma Fargo said...

I know I shouldn't laugh, but your last comment had me rolling.

Diane said...

I live in NY and we have some of the most extensive and crazy laws.

Scary to think he honestly thought he could outrun a car of any type.... :O)

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

As an avid animal lover, I'm in agreement with "Herding Cats"!

There are some unusual laws on all the books of every state. I recently saw a list of some and wish I could remember where so I could share!

Theresa Milstein said...

I guess "overdriving an animal" is the old fashioned phrase for "speeding".

Luisa Doraz said...

You should assign his community service. :) That would get him. :) Hope all is well.

carma said...

this has got to be pretty humiliating

carma said...

I'm sure he'll never drink and "overdrive" again ;-)

J. J. in Phila said...

Until the late 1990's, second class townships in Pennsylvania had a statutory right (but not a requirement) to erect watering troughs. :)

In all seriousness the speed isn't the real issue. It is the idea that he drove the horse in a cruel manner. The key phrase is, "...any act tending to produce such cruelty... ."

Looking at the statute, I would not be too surprised that the charge would be withdrawn or lost, if the horse was uninjured.

Such accidents are not uncommon.

Linz said...

now i know i've lived long enough to see it all.

CL Beck, author said...

I'm sure his mom and dad aren't happy with him, and hopefully he learned a lesson about drinking and driving! :)

Still, you have to feel sorry for the horse.

Oh, before I forget ... thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on "That's When the Fight Started." Glad you liked it, especially keeping your anniversary in mind! :)

terri said...

So even Amish teens get into trouble! I'll bet he suffers a worse punishment from his parents than he does the law!

sheri said...

slam, this was almost hilarious except that i knew the horse had paid a big price for levi's actions! man, what do you think they'll do to this kid...obviously he's a repeat offender since they saw him run the sign the week before!
seriously, i do wonder how the amish community will handle this. do you suppose his father will bail him out or leave him in there to learn his lesson? this is the first time i have ever read about the amish breaking the law...

AB HOME Interiors said...

Hmmm overdriving an animal. Can't say Ive done this, but sounds like a trivia question for bolderdash! haha
xo
amanda

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

I too was wondering about overdriving an animal? Like he made the animal go too fast???

Anonymous said...

"The Cattaraugus County Sheriff's Office said that after a week-long investigation..."

A week-long investigation? Jeez louise, what were they investigating for a week? It's a buggy in a ditch, for pete's sake... What'd they do put somebody in undercover. Maybe they couldn't use a wire because of the whole Amish thing. And they had to use a telegraph, or one of those old phones with a crank...

Imagine how long it would take em to investigate a real crime... like spitting gum on the sidewalk or swearing before a lady. It would be like a fortnight to get to the bottom of it. It would be like busting up the mob or someting... Fugitabowdit.

SuziCate said...

That's both funny and sad! Where do you dig these things up?

Miss Caitlin S. said...

That is very interesting!!! As my mom is from PA, I have been to Amish country more times than I can count and have always been fascinated with the Amish (my sister more so which got me interested). As we've watched many documentaries on the subject and specifically Rumspringa, I have found that they kind of lose the rustic appeal when they do not abide by the Amish law. Often, they are uneducated by mainstream standards and make poor decisions like this one. It's interesting because outside of this young man's haircut, he looks like a young kid in trouble. Watch out for his rumspringa!

Pearl said...

You can't be convicted without witnesses. :-)

Pearl

notesfromnadir said...

He's a teenager, he's bound to do stuff like run stop signs!

kc said...

I have to agree with Annonymous.....it took them a week to investigate a low speed chase with an Amish teenager??? That's the funniest part. Poor horse, though. Great post. Thanks!
Thanks for visiting my blog, I'll keep popping by yours to see what other mayhem you dig up. :)
http://theworldaccordingtomax.wordpress.com/