Paris Hilton: Arrested by Lazy Cops?

While surfing the blogosphere, I stumbled upon the following post written about celebrity Paris Hilton and her most recent arrest in Nevada:
Paris Might Escape Drug Charges Due To Lazy Cops
Paris Hilton better thank her lucky stars because it seems the man in the sky is shining down on her…


The heiress might escape a jail term – despite being caught with cocaine in a handbag she was carrying – because the cops who caught her failed to give her a blood test.


Paris is still claiming that the bag she was carrying belonged to someone else (despite posting a picture of it on her Twitter page a few weeks ago) and because the police didn’t bother to give her a test, there is no proof as to whether she did take the drug or not...
Wow, let me address some of the inaccuracies in this post. 

First, Ms. Hilton was not driving a vehicle when police stopped her. She was a passenger--so laws that are directed at preventing and dealing with intoxicated drivers which allow authorities to use breathalysers and blood tests, do not apply in this case.

Second, authorities charged Ms. Hilton with possession of cocaine, not use. A blood test would only prove that she had or had not consumed illicit drugs during a specific period of time prior to being stopped by police.  Even if a positive test was obtained, it would not mean a "slam dunk" case for the prosecution.

Finally, since Ms. Hilton was not driving, an officer would need a warrant to force her to take a blood test--something a judge is not likely to issue in a possession case.

In sum, it is ridiculous to characterize police behavior as "lazy" in this instance.

Officers did not administer a blood test on Ms. Hilton so as not to violate her constitutional rights.

Police simply prepared a case against celebrity Paris Hilton like they would against any other person caught in the same circumstances--a possession arrest for the local district attorney to prosecute.

Perhaps I should offer the other blogger a deal: I'll defer to her before deriding anyone regarding questionable fashion, if she will refrain from future derogatory name-calling, leaving questions of search and seizure to persons qualified to address such issues.

__________________________

*Note: The report from Hilton's arrest is posted here.  It is an interesting read and offers a glimpse into how a simple traffic stop can quickly turn into a circus when more than a hundred spectators gather to watch a celebrity incident.

The photo was used from here.

36 comments:

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I kind of wondered what a blood test had to do with possession. I have chocolate in my house. Doesn't mean I eat it. Okay, I do. Seriously, why have something in your possession if you're not going to use it? (Sure, Paris, you weren't going to use it!)

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Off topic here but it drives me crazy that celebs get DWI, drug possession, etc...yet get away with it! Seriously...not cool!

Diane said...

I hope she gets what she needs. She obviously didn't learn from the first encounter with jail....

Herding Cats said...

Yeah I think that article seemed to miss the point of the arrest. She had the drug ON HER, but they can't force her to take a drug test - especially if she wasn't driving. God. Ridiculous.

J. J. in Phila said...

Valid points.

Since her defense is that the purse wasn't her purse, was there anything else that would point to it being her purse?

Elena said...

Good points!

Matthew Rush said...

My understanding is (and I could be wrong about this) that's it's not technically illegal to use drugs, or at least not to have used drugs, unless in the act of operating a vehicle or something similar.

The law is about possessing a controlled substance. So I don't see what a blood test would have to do with anything.

malone8 said...

Go SD! Once again you have proven: You are the sharpest tack in the drawer.

All the best - Maxi

Expat From Hell said...

Great post, and great to be here again, SD. I am not sure which is more alarming: the level of training of our local police forces, or the level of competence of our local "stars". Either Paris Hilton is an idiot, or she is preparing to run for political office. EFH

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Is it just me, or are we seeing WAY too much erroneous "targeting" of the police across the nation these days?

Seems people are SO worried about HOW the police act, WHAT they do, WHY they do it, and WHO they think they are, when we should be more concerned about allowing them all to do WHAT WE HAVE PAID THEM FOR.
(like protecting snd serving)

And the last time *I* checked...
POSSESSION is STILL 9/10ths of the LAW.
Have a safe weekend.

mrs. fuzz said...

"Perhaps I should offer the other blogger a deal: I'll defer to her before deriding anyone regarding questionable fashion, if she will refrain from future derogatory name-calling, leaving questions of search and seizure to persons qualified to address such issues."

AMEN.

LisaF said...

Oh, don't you know that most of the time, laws don't apply to the *beautiful* people? I could have sworn possession of cocaine was against the law. But maybe not in Hollyweird. I hope the blogger in question takes you up on your offer. There's enough felony stupid to go around on this one.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

I'm so tired of celebs making the news by crazy stunts like this and making the legal system look like a joke!

And Snookie thing is disgusting too! Enough said on this subject!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Yeah, it's amazing the claims made by the uninformed.

Way to straighten her out.

Momma Fargo said...

Great post! I get irritated with wannabe lawyers that don't know the laws, civil rights, or criminal procedures. It's a battle. I would think every American would want to know what is right and what is bound by the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Amendments, procedures, and policies. OK. I'm done ranting. Thanks for that! LOL

carma said...

You are correct once again. What amazes me is how she always poses seductively for her booking photos. I don't know about you, but if I was under arrest I'd look more like Nick Nolte's photo as panic and stress sets in. Of course, I guess she knows that since she is a Hilton she will hire a high-powered attorney and get off with a slap on the wrist.

Candice said...

Oh SNAP!!! You tell 'em Slam. I get so sick of people and their uneducated spouting off at the mouth!!

secret agent woman said...

I was thinking that too as I read the article - what does a blood test have to do with possession?

LL said...

I think Matthew is right. It's not illegal to USE drugs. Just posses them.

LL said...

I think Matthew is right. It's not illegal to USE drugs. Just posses them.

Theresa Milstein said...

I don't think cops should be called "lazy". Not very professional from the media.

Paris is using the same argument teenagers the world around have used on their parents. Too bad she forgot about her Twitter picture.

tattytiara said...

And also she could just claim that she had borrowed someone else's blood for the evening anyway.

LT said...

Excellent post, excellent points.

brittac said...

well its good to hear the otherside of the story for sure.

I try to stay out of Paris Hilton drama bc its just to easy to get buried in it.

suz said...

Stupid people writing about stupid people. Appropriate. I feel sorry for the cops who had to be part of the drama.

Audrey Allure said...

Great points!

WomanHonorThyself said...

when did it become cool to get arrested anyhoo Slam? God bless:)

Kristin said...

I think you proved your point!

Slamdunk said...

Thanks all for your comments.

@ LL & Matthew: Laws on possession, use, and related vary by jurisdiction--so where one reader lives the laws regarding drugs will likely be different than they are in an area where another reader lives.

I should have taken the time to research Nevada law and spoken specifically as to Paris' charges.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

haha you tell her!!! Thanks for breaking this down for me. I am not a Paris fan so I was just disgusted with her more from afar without really reading much about the incident. Thanks for breaking it down for me! :)

Holly said...

Maybe I am glad I am out of the loop and did not have to hear about the latest Paris Hilton show. The law has so many nuisances that the common person just typically doesn't know all of them and should not accuse anyone of being lazy, until they study all the facts.

ALL of your points are spot on.

boho fangirl said...

I totally agree with you! And great job on correcting the other blogger's post. I'm new to the blogging world and I'm trying my best to be as accurate as I can.

What weirds me out is how some of these celebs view mugshots as just another photo op. Ain't it weird that they still have perfect hair and make-up on their mugshots?

Krista said...

Give 'em hell, Slam!

Tsk tsk... protecting civil liberties... lazy cops.

*eye roll*

Some people just need someone to blame for... well, everything!!!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Go get 'em SD!!

slowvelder said...

hmm - we had a run in with Paris Hilton here in South Africa too a while back during the world cup. Also related to drugs

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
La Paris--
More $$ than sense. And soon no nose.

Ann T.