Jake's Brother

"Get your brother Jake and tell him it's time to go," the bleary-eyed mother told her young son and then politely covered her mouth to hide a yawn.

As directed, the freckled-faced nine-year-old crept low through the entrance of the inflatable bouncer, and carefully stepped toward to the back of the enclosed area.

He passed three little girls jumping and singing--the tune inaudible as their mix of ponytails and pigtails moved rhythmically with each ascent and descent.

Older brother continued by a group of young boys who played tag and laughed while falling to the soft plastic surface.

Finally, he stopped in front of a five-year-old boy with close-cropped sandy-blond hair and wearing blue overalls.

The small child alternated between bouncing and spinning; smiling but looking at nothing in particular.

Unnoticed, older brother knelt on one knee beside the boy, gently took his hand, and said: "Hey buddy, mom said we have to go home now."

Instinctively and with no further conversation, Jake held his brother's hand as they meandered through the crowd of energetic kids.

After exiting, he slid on the little brother's navy blue shoes with the care of an experienced father; checking the tips of the footwear to ensure that little brother's feet were snug inside.

"Don't forget to strap Jake's shoes down," mom directed as she walked away.

With his shoes secured, Jake took his brother's hand and followed mom to the parking lot.

I stood for a moment under the warm sunlight, reflected on the touching scene I had just witnessed, and bowed my head.

Photo Credit: JoDee Luna

If there were more folks like "Jake's brother," I am certain this world would be a better place.

_______________________________________

Thank you to JoDee Luna for allowing me to use her photo. 

JoDee describes herself as an "educator by day and a creative eclectic at all other times. " 

Insight and inspiration are regulars at her blog, and visiting there is certainly worth your time.

29 comments:

imbeingheldhostage said...

Lovely! I felt like I was just transported to another place. Funny how so few words can stir up so many emotions.

Brian Miller said...

nice. yeah i agree and very nicely written

Herding Cats said...

This post made me miss my little brother. He's not so little anymore (at age 25) but I still sometimes think of him as that hyper-active menace with curly blond hair. Thanks for this - it's the small things!

Lydia Kang said...

I agree. You saw something special I would like to see more often.

CL Beck, author said...

What a nice scene ... with a so much happier ending than some have. Thanks for sharing it.

Oh ... and thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on "Giblets Roasting on an Open Fire." Glad you enjoyed it.

kittycat said...

I agree. WEll said

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Wow, if that doesn't take me back to a much gentler time in my childhood...

Excellent post & great comments!

Samantha VĂ©rant said...

Awwww, that was lovely. Especially your sentiment at the end.

Expat From Hell said...

Excellent, SD. A terrific change of pace, and well worth the visit! EFH

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Such a sweet story, thanks for sharing Slam. It's hard to get kids out of inflatables, that's for sure!

Matthew Rush said...

Great story, thanks for sharing Slam!

Elena said...

Kudos to Jake's mom as well for a job well done raising the kids.

Mommy Lisa said...

Very lovely writing.

Thank you.

Hilary said...

Very sweet. Nicely expressed.

Kristen @ Motherese said...

With baby #3 on the way, I'm hoping my oldest decides to emulate Jake's brother.

Beautifully written, Slam!

Shannon Whitney Messenger said...

Lovely, lovely post (and photo)! Thanks so much for sharing!

Dan said...

It is amazing the scenes of hope and love we can see if we but take the time to look. It is always time to remind one's self to take the time to experience the life around.

Travel Nurse Extraordinaire said...

I love playing fly on the wall and people watching.

BobKat said...

A new side of you Slam... not sure what to make of it yet, but I like it a lot.

See, I believe most people find themselves surrounded by a menagerie of experiences - all while they fulfill a personal goal. Life becomes: fulfilling the goal immersed in life.

Excellent example.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Lovely story. The relationship between child siblings is so special. Glad I stopped by!

alexandra said...

Thank you for this. I hope Jake's brother will learn from example and then pass it on and so forth. The mother must have lead from good example. sadly, same goes for bad behaviour too with older siblings!

carma said...

very sweet :-)

Angelia Sims Hardy said...

Beautiful story and so true. The photograph with it was just as touching as the story. Excellent and encouraging.

terri said...

I've witnessed siblings who interact the way you've described and it always warms my heart. My kids never treated each other with much kindness. Too much rivalry, I guess, though they get better the older they get.

He & Me + 3 said...

Beautiful. I totally agree.

Holly said...

This is how my son is with my daughter. I stand with the sunshine on my face every time I witness it.

Tara said...

This scene was so sweet, and gentle. And beautifully written. :)

Momma Fargo said...

Wonderful post! Bravo!

jodeeluna said...

Your post turned out fantastic, like they all do. I had no clue as to the photo you were going to use. This one is perfect for your piece. I look forward to more photo exchanges in the future. Perhaps I could persuade you to do a feature post on my blog???