Joseph the Mugger

Since I posted two missing persons stories last week, I don't have one for my usual Missing Person Monday segment today.

Instead, I offer this.
_______________________________

Police are more apt to catch a certain type of criminal.

Which type?

Well, stupid, of course...

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- Manchester police said they arrested a man after a 91-year-old woman was mugged outside a church, and the incident was caught on surveillance video.

Officers said the woman her companion, Patricia Turcotte, 67, were heading to afternoon Mass at St. Hedwig's Catholic Church on Walnut Street on Tuesday afternoon when a young man approached them.

"I didn't have time to be scared. I didn't know what was going in," Turcotte said. "Someone was running by, she is falling and I am falling with her. She said, 'They got my pocketbook.'"

A security guard at the Currier Museum across the street observed as a truck pulled into his driveway and a man got out. He focused the museum's security camera on the man as he crossed the street and grabbed a purse from the victim, who was on her way to a 4 p.m. church service.

The victim, who did not want to be identified, fell to the ground, and the man took off running down the street, police said. 

The suspect returned to his parked truck at the museum three hours later, where police were waiting for him. They arrested Joseph Audet Jr., of Manchester...

The security video of the incident is below...



The 91-year-old victim reportedly broke her wrist during the strong-arm robbery.

And the suspect?

Nice of him to return to the scene of the crime to try to retrieve his truck, and offer the highly creative alibi to police that he had been out jogging for the past few hours--only he had forgotten which streets the strenuous exercise had occurred.

Authorities have linked another robbery involving an elderly woman to Audet Jr., and are investigating his possible participation in other similar crimes.

I was not surprised to learn that the defendant dropped-out of school in 10th grade, lives with his parents, and has a previous arrest history.

Yes, being stupid significantly increases a criminal's chances of being apprehended.

20 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

fucker!

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
Well, he is stupid. And I'm willing to bet a bunch of other awful things, including "shameless".

Best of luck to the two elderly ladies. And I hope the congregation will make sure that little ladies have a chance to get into church safely. Good grief!

Ann T.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

ew, I hate seeing him like scope out the area, he looks like he's hunting. What a fool and creep, I'm glad he's so dumb that he initiated his own demise. Mean, mean...

maggsworld said...

Horrible specimen that one. A real darwin award candidate.

Community RN said...

Stupid people deserve to get caught. Evil Stupid people even more so!!!

*nods*

C. RN

suz said...

Glad the security guard was on his toes!

SuziCate said...

Kudos to the security guard! Too bad the woman didn't have an umbrell on her that she could have beat him with!

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Wow! Someone didn't think that out all the way.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
I do so enjoy those happy endings...!
I think Joseph represents that SPECIAL KIND OF STUPID...and definitely needs his OWN sign.

Great way to start off my week.
(with a smile)
Stay safe out there.

KittyCat said...

Since I have been reading you . I have been watching alot more of those 48 hours mystery.

Very interesting stuff.
Keep it coming.

Herding Cats said...

As someone who has been the victim of a similar type robbery, I found it fascinating to watch the actions leading up to the actual crime. This guy is pretty ridiculous if he thinks the police wouldn't care about his trunk. What an ass!

LisaF said...

Unbelievable. No, I take that back. Unfortunately, I do believe it. What a shame.

Stephanie Faris said...

91! That just makes me want to beat the guy up.

Squad car said...

Kudos to the security officer and his vigilance. I always preach to my guys, curiosity is the single most important trait for a cop to have. The best cops are constantly asking themselves, "who's this?", "what's going on?", "what's the story here?".

Hopefully this security guard is considering law enforcement. Either way, the victims and police can thank him for a robbery offender caught.

Travel Nurse Extraordinaire said...

What a piece of shit. Not only is he stupid but he's a wimp for mugging a 91 year old on her way to church. It's bad enough that there are criminals but when they prey on weaker people it just makes it so much worse.

kathryn said...

I swear...it gave me chills when he spotted his victims. What a bastard! And he's a stupid bastard! I can't help but to wonder if his parents had any idea how their son was earning his spending money...

Hilary said...

Oh those poor ladies. Interesting how the camera guy sensed trouble immediately.

Brian Miller said...

the best crook i can think of is a stupid one...at least they will take him off the street or he will take himself out of the game...

Audrey Allure said...

Haha that was pretty stupid. Reminds me of a couple of others I saw on TruTV's World's Dumbest Criminals.

Angela Ackerman said...

I love stupid people. My favorite criminal was the guy who robbed a gas station, locked himself out of his car and so then returned to the front counter, asking to borrow a coat hanger to help him get into the truck. Now that's smert! LOL

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse