The Spirit of Lassie in Austin

Lassie fans would be proud of this dog:

(AUSTIN, TX)...Paul Horton, 57, wound up at St. David's Rehabilitation Hospital after he failed to negotiate a seemingly little jump from the trail to a paved road near Lake Travis.


"I had probably done that 100 times, 200 times," said Horton.


But on the morning of Oct. 30, he did not.


"I went over the handle bars and landed on my head on the concrete ... and life changed," said Horton.


Life changed because he was now paralyzed from the chest down. Horton lay motionless for 45 minutes. With no one in sight, he realized his 4-year-old golden retriever was still by his side.


"I expected him to behave like Lassie and run down to the police station and tap out my location in Morse code or something," said Horton.


Yogi did not do that, but did something just about as impressive. Horton's neighbor, Bruce Tate, recalls walking down Mountain Trail with his wife when they were met by Yogi.


"Yogi is a quiet, happy dog, he's never noisy at all, but he was barking furiously to get our attention," said Tate.


The Tates followed Yogi throughout the wooded area and down the hill. When they saw Horton, they called 911. To this day, the Tates wonder what would have happened if Yogi had not interrupted their walk.


"I don't think we would have seen Paul without Yogi," he said. "I think Yogi saved his life."

Yea for Yogi!

I'd like to think that our big dog would help save me if anything happened on our nightly strolls. In reality, I think the pooch would leave me to suffer at the first sight/smell of a pizza delivery guy or an attractive female canine.

I'll be sure to bring my cell phone just in case.

------------------------

For more on Yogi that includes video footage, you can go here.

22 comments:

Squad car said...

Dogs are simply fascinating. From bomb sniffers to police partners to lost kid trackers, they seem perfectly programmed to be programmed to be man's best friend. Even without training, like in this story, they manage to pull through for us. Thanks for the uplifting story.

suz said...

Thank you from one of those nutty dog ladies.

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Yah Yogi!!! Emma would never leave me, she's too scared and Shadow would be marking his territory or attacking the pizza guy too!

Jeanette Levellie said...

I love heart-warming stories like this; thanks for sharing!

Jen

Brian Miller said...

what a cool story...and that i believe is why we think of them as our best friend...

Kristen @ Motherese said...

I am not a big animal lover, but stories like this make me reconsider my anti-pet stance for our family!

Elana Johnson said...

I seriously have chills. Great story!

Matthew Rush said...

Magical!

Squad car said...

p.s. Feel free to edit my comments for grammar at any time. Good grief, midnights must be getting to me.

Travel Nurse Extraordinaire said...

Now, that's a well trained dog!

Rhiannon Nicole said...

Oh a happy story Slam! I love this. Well not completely happy but thank goodness for Yogi! Imagine if the dog hasn't of reacted? Wow, I swear I am always fascinated by dogs, they are way smarter than we give em credit for :)

Clarissa Draper said...

Smart dog! Not so smart human. But, I'm glad the quiet dog saved his master's life.
CD

Slamdunk said...

@ Squad car: Thanks for the comments and your spelling is fine. I have not worked overnights in 15 years and my spelling is dreadful--in other words I don't have an excuse.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Love stories like these. Thanks for posting it.

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
I Love Dogs, and especially smart ones. Not to sound soupy or anything, but a good dog is like an angel, especially in cases like this.

Now weepy and hearing celestial sounds,
Thanks for a good story!
Ann T.

P.S. Squad car, I think they are "programmed to be programmed" and that's a heavy responsibility!

malone8 said...

I have this saying about "that's the way TRUE love works" … and there it is.

Ally Lifewithally said...

What a lovely inspiring story ~ and what a wonderful Dog ~ Ally x

secret agent woman said...

That's impressive. But so sad that the guy is paralyzed.

terri said...

What an amazing dog!

Midlife Jobhunter said...

I'm thinking my dog would have wandered off and left me, too.

aconnectiontomyheart said...

Yogi is a darling!
And an attractive female canine?! Ha ha ha.. You leave your training traces on your pooch.. That's all I can say!

LisaF said...

I expect nothing less from a Golden! Sometimes, dogs are amazing.