Why I Only Sing in the Shower

During my lifetime, I have experienced plenty of lousy days. 

I have messed presentations and speeches up so badly that I just wanted to crawl under a rock and hide for weeks. 

So, I can imagine how Mike Eli of the Eli Young Band must feel after inadvertently providing footage for Fail Blog with his botched singing of the The Star-Spangled Banner prior to Sunday's Kansas City Chiefs football game:




Update: Sorry folks, it looks like the embedded video got pulled from YouTube, but you can still watch it here on Yahoo Sports.

 I do have one bit of advice for Mike and the band.

Don't leave this tweet or this Facebook post at the top of your page for more than a day referencing just prior to your walk off the plank:
  

"Sitting at Arrowhead stadium waitin to sing the national anthem at the chiefs/broncos game."

When you tweet, blog, or Facebook something and it stinks, if you can't delete the message, post an apology, and then cover it with 5 or 6 new topic messages.

I mean push that bad entry to page 3 or at least to the bottom of your current page. 

Otherwise, you give unnecessary opportunities to lots of commenters just visiting the blog to bash you over the goof.

Yes, if I ever have a lousy post, I'll try to cover it as quickly as possible with you know brilliant posts...er...uh...ok..any posts in hopes that others will not see my poor effort--which will then be displayed at the bottom of the homepage or not at all.

Not that I have had a lousy post or two or three or anything during my blogging career...

13 comments:

Z Joya said...

hide. create another account for facebook:)

maggsworld said...

Handy pragmatic tips for surviving what will soon be "old" news... Made me giggle ( a much needed giggle I will add)

Matthew Rush said...

That was like watching a huge train wreck. I was embarrassed for them just sitting here at my desk. I do think it's a little pathetic though, I mean think of the marines on the field who have risked their lives for this country, and we can't show them the respect of getting the national anthem right? Sad.

ooglebloops said...

Too bad everything in life doesn't have a big DELETE button!!LOL Poor guy- messing up the SSB is definitely up there in embarrassing public appearances!

carma said...

I can't even watch stuff like that-- I feel so badly for the singer...

So true about covering up for bad blog posts though. The few times I've had to do that I scrambled home and quickly posted a few new posts to hide the crappy one. I like the way you think :)

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Too funny!

Brian Miller said...

oh man...he proably ran to hide and has not come out yet...lol...

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
I've never read a bad blog post here. Although I know that stuff is not just in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes the writer has their secret oops over them.

Like you, I try to bury them very fast!

As for the Star Spangled Banner, how can you screw that up (except with a bad octave range?} It sounds like somebody needed to actually practice. Not that I saw it.

Ann T.

CL Beck, author said...

We all make mistakes ... some of them more public than others.

Facebook will usually let you pull a post off. There's an X to the right of the post, and it doesn't always show until you pass your cursor over it, but clicking on it deletes the post. Just in case you ever need to use that, SlamDunks! :)

Travel Nurse Extraordinaire said...

OMG that's soooo true! Damn, the video won't play :( Now, I really want to see it.

kathryn said...

This is so true. I was just saying this the other day. To be careful what you put out there in cyberspace...'cause once you hit "publish", you can't get it back.

EVER.

aconnectiontomyheart said...

Oh no, they beat this guy up pretty bad!! Come on people, we all make mistakes..!! :D
SD, seriously, why only the wife and the kids should get to hear your singing.. ?? Won't you give us opportunities like 'Epic fails' ;)

Krista said...

Oooh. That was painful! I watched it fifteen minutes ago and I am *still* cringing.

On the other hand; what is done is done. Sometimes you just have to apologize, and walk away.

AAaaand bury the facebook post. ;o)