Blogging and Brett Favre

The insights available via blogs to news junkies like myself is astounding. 

For instance, Mike Florio, attorney and football commentator for the website Pro Football Talk, offered 16 questions on their blog related to the most recent lawsuit filed against superstar Brett Favre by massage therapists Christina Scavo and Shannon O'Toole--and similar to the Jenn Sterger allegations, this case involves accusations of sexual harassment and inappropriate text messages.

In the current case (the legal document is here), the husband of the text recipient allegedly decided to confront Favre and demand an apology--one that reportedly was never given.  

Florio makes a number of interesting observations about the case which was filed in the State of New York, including this one:

Should the case be removed to federal court?


If the plaintiffs filed the case in state court, they presumably want to be in state court. Generally speaking, plaintiffs prefer state court and defendants prefer federal court, where the judges aren’t elected and the procedures are more complicated and formal — and there are more hurdles and other obstacles that can be thrown in the path of the plaintiffs and their lawyer.
Well said.

In general, Florio thinks this lawsuit has quite a few obstacles for the plaintiffs to overcome. 

If you want to learn about civil litigation, criminal law, policing, writing, fashion, etc., reading blogs daily is time well spent.

16 comments:

Tamika: said...

You're right- blogs are an information warehouse! I can always count on coming here and being well informed:)

Theresa Milstein said...

Favre has a lot of legal issues, doesn't he?

I used to work for a car insurance company. For 8 years. And I took a supreme court class in college. That's the extent of my judicial knowledge, so I should learn more.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Boy, the US legal system is complex, though I'm guessing so is Canada's. Fortunately I haven't had to experience either.

Matthew Rush said...

It's pretty interesting, because while Favre is almost certainly a douche bag behind the scenes, it still looks like this new case may just be a money grab. You have to wonder why they would wait two years to go to court if this really happened.

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Why is it that every single famous person is in trouble? Really? Isn't there ANYONE whose nice in Hollywood?

J. J. in Phila said...

I was interested in the federal issue claim. There seems to be one.

Travel Nurse Extraordinaire said...

Favre's an idiot. Thinking just because he's famous he can get anything and anyone he wants and that it doesn't matter that he pursued a married woman or that he made sexual advances to another employee. I'm curious how this all turns out.

aconnectiontomyheart said...

Again one of the cases where I can't decide between, innocent until proven AND no smoke without fire.. !
Can't wait to see how this unfolds!

Kristin said...

Is he a slimeball? Yep...Do I think the plaintiffs have good intentions...Not so sure about that.

carma said...

what makes me sad is how tarnished his image is now after what should have been a stellar send-off into retirement. Guy's a idiot though if he's done all that has been reported...And his wife seems like a darn sweet lady...

Tara said...

I will never cease to be amazed at the lack of satisfaction in the lives of folks who seem to have so much.

Or

When will pro sports players learn to keep it in their pants? Of course, if they don't want to, who cares? Just don't get married first.

Maxi said...

Maybe Favre should have quit while he was ahead of the game…

James (SeattleDad) said...

Absolutely. I get 75% of my reading this way.

A Doc 2 Be said...

Had heard rumors about Favre for years but after he shaved his head for his wife during her treatment, my mind changed.

Then the sexting messages came up late summer.

It seemed to fit.

BUT I caution that ,perhaps
these women were flattered that he was flirting with them (inappropriate, by all means) and thought there was something further that was going to happen. When he was simply flirting and being sexually obnoxious NOT wanting a real fling, they were hurt.

I am NOT saying this is what happened. What he did is rather disgusting but what they are doing now... long after he has left ... appears suspect... especially since they did not come forward with the first sexting issue.

Stephen Tremp said...

You learn something new every day. I did not know that about defendants and federal court. That is one I will use as I'm writing a particular chapter to end my series. Thanks for a most well-timed blog!

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
I also think the most interesting part of this is the "choosing of jurisdiction."

Celebrities themselves aren't very interesting to me. I'm a lot more interested in the man on the street.

However, I guess that makes me a snob of my own kind, eh.

Thanks for posting!
Ann T.