Dad the Multitasker

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and prayers for my father.  He remains hospitalized and is still unhappy about it. 

His most recent verbal sparring came after a nurse told him he should not be trying to do leg lifts at 0600. 

I didn't hear the health care professional's perspective (like he was being too noisy since he has a roommate, was going against his physician's orders, or whatever), but I had fun imagining the old gunny unloading on her starting with: "When I was a young buck in the Corps, they told me that we better not ever be seen doing nothing--move, move, move!"  and after several minutes of tough talk, eventually finishing with: "When I was a kid, I had to walk to school every day in the snow--uphill both ways!"

Anyway, I am going to work my way back to blogging slowly.  I'll be posting 2-3 times per week, and beginning to visit blogs again.

Here is a recent experience from the home front...
__________________________________________________________

Dad is in charge.

Mom's working late, and it is me and 3 energetic rugrats.

No worries for an "expert" like me.

In the backyard, I entertain the growing twins. 

A warm winter sun reflects off the piles of previously deposited snow.

On this day, I illustrate multi-tasking at its finest--I push little Luka in the swing, while throwing a squeaky ball across the lawn for "King Kong" our clumsy 95 lbs. lab mix to chase, and at the same time playing in a make-shift soccer game with the little girl Sissy who tries to score as many goals as possible.

Meanwhile, older brother is comfortably inside watching the front door and waiting for a ride to a basketball game.

What is so hard about this parenting thing anyway?

The cell phone rings.  It is my brother with an update on my father.

I take the squeaky toy in my free hand and throw it toward the far gate.  Boom.  Crunch.

King Kong dog, in his craze to get the toy, accidentally plows over an unsuspecting Sissy.  The soccer ball goes flying.  She goes up into the air, starts to laugh, and then begins to cry after bouncing her side and head on the ground.

I get off the phone, scoop up little girl, and after a quick medical check and the amateur concussion test (how many fingers am holding up, count to five for me, where is mom, etc.), I walk her inside and get her comfortable on the couch.

Then, big brother announces that his ride has arrived.  I go to the driveway, briefly talk to his friend's mom, and make sure they are squared away.

Argh, where is Luka? 

I return to the backyard to investigate what our most destructive kiddo Luka is doing, and see our shed door is laying on the ground--broken off the hinges. 

I think about the math:  About fifty pound boy, swinging wildly for a few minutes, unsupervised since dad is nowhere to be found--yep, that is about where the door should be.

The dog breaks my moment of reflection by dropping his squeaker on my foot, requesting a next throw.

In the end, no one was permanently disfigured, and the older boy and I will get to spend some quality time together dodging snowflakes and icy winds while repairing the shed door.

Multi-tasking with dad; never dull, that is for certain.       

32 comments:

Matthew Rush said...

We sure did miss you Slam, but totally understand. My kids are older, and my dog slightly smaller, but otherwise that sounds a lot like one of my days.

J. J. in Phila said...

Good to see you back.

Anastasia said...

Welcome back! I have totally had those kind of days.

Erin said...

Ah yes. In a matter of seconds things can spiral out of control. Missed ya!

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Glad you're back! Hope your Pop gets well soon and I'll say a prayer for him. I hate to say it but this story made me laugh! Take care!

Diane said...

Glad you are back. Hugs to the dad and hope he is hanging in there and will be out soon.

That was quite the Parenthood moment there. Love it in my sarcastic, smiling way.... :O)

Abigail said...

Glad to see you are back. It sounds like your dad at least has his spirit up!

I had to laugh about the kiddos. Have fun with the shed door!

Chip "Rocket Man" Allen said...

I can well imagine the old Gunny letting loose on the medical staff. I'm an old Navy brat and I do mean old! Mom was only in the Canoe Club for 11 years but Dad retired as a Chief Petty Officer in '68 after 32 years. He likes to tell folks he got out because Elmo Zumwalt relaxed the grooming standards when he became Chief of Naval Operations and pop wasn't serving in any &$#@^&!! hippy Navy!

secret agent woman said...

Glad your Dad is on the mend. Yeah no one warns you about how much work parenting is.

KittyCat said...

SOrry to hear. been thinking about you. my prayers are with you and your family.

miss you terrible.
come back soon.

Lydia K said...

Kids plus one parent is usually some sort of chaos incarnate.

Glad to have you back, and sorry about your dad. Hope he's out of the hospital and doing squats at 0500 ASAP.

jodeeluna said...

You have been missed. I'm happy to visit once again. I will pray for your father.

CL Beck, author said...

Glad you're back. Hope your dad continues to improve!

Miss Caitlin S. said...

Hey! It is so funny that you commented my blog, I was actually thinking of you today.One of my good friends at work fits all the of attributes and titles that you state in your descriptors. We often have long conversations at work about random topics we're both interested in and then we go about the work day. I was thinking to myself how funny it is that I had a chance to meet him and talk to him- we have different lives by far, but I really enjoy our convos. Anyway, you popped in my head and I was thinking that I hadn't heard from you in awhile, then I come home and there you are! Anyway, I'm so sorry about your Dad, I'm sure you have endured a very scary and frustrating month with him in the hospital. Your story did make me laugh, it's exactly like all the shows and movies... doesn't take much for the wee ones to completely take over :)

joanny said...

Welcome back, and prayers for your Dad,,,and your family.

joanny

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Happy to hear that Dad (read Devil Dog) is doing OK.
MOVEMENT IS LIFE...so say the armed forces.

Yeah, NEVER underestimate the creativity of a child's mind when unsupervised (no matter how briefly)...or a dog's penchant for moving in straight lines (through unsuspecting children at play).

Multi-tasking indeed.
Hectic for Dad...
(Another day in the trenches for Mom.)

And that's WHY you can never place a monetary value on motherhood...you could NEVER AFFORD it!

Good to see 'ya back.

Stay safe out there (all of you).

Maxi said...

Yeah, you're back…

And your dad is kickin' and screamin,' which is a good thing…

And you're experiencing all the fun(and pain) of parenthood…

Not to mention the handyman part.

Krista said...

This whole blogiverse is just not the same without you; I'm really glad to see you back!

I hope your dad continues to heal and your story of multitasking was SUPER entertaining to read. It's comforting to see how life goes on even when loved ones are ill.

Take good care!

Travel Nurse Extraordinaire said...

You never fail to entertain the stories of your 3 youngsters. Lol. Sorry to hear your dad's still in. Your dad and I would get along well. If I was his nurse that night I would have said "higher", "ok, give me 10 more".

carma said...

Glad to hear your dad is doing better. He's a feisty one!!!

I'd say you did fairly well with the solo child watch - you were able to teach your son about repairing a shed door. Think if that lesson had not been made possible by your other son?? ;-)

Brian Miller said...

dude...sorry about your dad and hope that he continues to get better...smile. i too have had those days...

ladyfi said...

LOL - life is never dull with three small kids!

Tell your dad to hang in there. Hope he's on the mend soon.

Pia said...

no wonder i haven't been seeing you around lately. i was busy too. but hey, welcome back!

Candice said...

Welcome back!! Funny story! Glad no real hard was done. ;P

LisaF said...

I'll join the throng of people who are glad to see you in our readers again. Mom working late, dad home with three kids and a dog. Yep, the result sounds about right! :-) Just jokin' with ya.

LisaF said...

I'll join the throng of people who are glad to see you in our readers again. Mom working late, dad home with three kids and a dog. Yep, the result sounds about right! :-) Just jokin' with ya.

terri said...

You've got the parenting thing down. None of us can prevent the kind of chaos that happens in life. It's the ability to handle it all without completely losing your mind that proves you're equipped to handle the job.

Welcome back!

Kristin said...

I hope your dad is doing ok! And Moms don't multi-task much better. At least this one doesn't. HAHA

Holly said...

You were missed for sure, but family is always first. My every day sounds like this...sometimes my hubby looks at me like I have done nothing all day..I really want to record it and show him - atone point the house was clean, the dishes washed and we were all happy...and hen it went to pot.

Momma Fargo said...

Glad you are back! Sounds like your dad is still going strong and keeping the nurse on their toes...God Bless him..

mrs. fuzz said...

Yay! Glad you are back to posting. Things just aren't quite the same without your stories and perspectives.

Glad to hear your dad is on the mend. He sounds like a character straight out of the movies! I would like to hear more about him.

aconnectiontomyheart said...

Hope your father feels better SD..