When Being Fired is Not Such a Bad Thing

Back in October of last year, I blogged about a young woman named Marisol Valles Garcia who had just accepted the job of police chief in one of Mexico's many embattled towns.


Despite being recently fired from that law enforcement job, I was glad to hear that she was able to leave the position alive:

A woman who took the job of police chief in a border town riddled with drug gang violence has asked for asylum in the United States, officials said Tuesday.


The woman... who was 20 when she was named police chief of PrĂ¡xedis G. Guerrero in October, left with her whole family, including her baby son...

And the next time the mayor asks for volunteers to act as police chief, I am guessing he will be met with silence.

14 comments:

Pia said...

i heard about this too and read it on your blog. yeah, who would want to volunteer after what happened to marisol?

Z Joya said...

welcome back, sir!

Herding Cats said...

Wow. That makes a lot of jobs look a lot easier!

Diane said...

Glad she got out!!! :O)

Travel Nurse Extraordinaire said...

She is lucky to be alive. Mexico is not a place for just anyone male or female to take that position and that town sounds like it's one of the countries worst if not the worst.

Mommy Lisa said...

I heard she asked for assylum, had not heard it was granted.

Thank goodness.

J. J. in Phila said...

I'm glad she made it out alive.

secret agent woman said...

Wow, very scary for her and her family!

KittyCat said...

Its strange you talk about this. i have a woman at my work who is out to get me fired. petty shit.
cause she is jealous.
pisses me off.
but has really stressed me out. its like the shit you see on tV where the crazy girl gets away with all kinds of shit.
geezum

BobKat said...

Welcome back...

I'm sure her experience was more than worth it to her. She showed courage, to be in the job as long as she was.

Things worked out.

Bob G. said...

SL:amdunk:
And at least she's attempting to enter the USA in a much more LEGAL manner.

Stay safe.

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Glad she got out! What a courageous young lady to take on the task though.

Momma Fargo said...

Wowser...20 and all that before she is even grown up...scary.

Maxi said...

I welcome this woman of honor and courage with open arms.

May she and her family succeed in making new life here in America.