Grand Entrances

Wow, it is May and my first day back from blogger hiatus.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, thoughts, prayers, emails, and comments.

I usually feature a missing person post on Mondays (hence the name "Missing Persons Monday"), but instead I'll start the week with something lighter...
_____________________________________________

One of the great yet lesser known things about professional baseball is, during home games, when a relief pitcher enters the contest from the bullpen (the bullpen is the place usually beyond the outfield fence where pitchers not in the game patiently wait to be called spending time goofing around and eating), the person running the scoreboard will play a snippet of a specific song that says something about the athlete. 

Maybe the song emphasizes the player's competitiveness, plays on a nickname, or is simply a tune that the incoming pitcher really digs. 

Often, it makes for a grand entrance.

After some contemplation, I have concluded that if I was a Major League Baseball relief pitcher entering a home game, the appropriate song for me as I came running from the bullpen to the pitcher's mound would be the title track Underdog from Audio A's fifth release ten years ago.

...Been beat up



Been broken down


Nowhere but up


When you're facedown


On the ground


I'm in last place


If I place at all


But there's hope for this underdog! 

In soliciting the Mrs.' opinion for this life-altering question, she disagrees with my selection. 

In contrast, she believes the perfect fit for my grand entrance should be Travis Tritt's memorable hit from 1991 entitled Here's a Quarter (Call Someone Who Cares) .

At least I am good for a laugh--at my expense mostly.

So what song would best fit your entrance into a crowd of cheering fans?

19 comments:

A Doc 2 Be said...

Climb Every Mountain - Sound of Music

Stephen Tremp said...

Something to do with overcoming. That's for sure. And I hope they find Holly Bobo or bring finality to the story. I get so mad when I read articles like this.

Herding Cats said...

Probably "Don't Stop Believin" by Journey (I know, how cliche!)

Diane said...

I have no idea what mine would be. Good thought to consider. I'm a woman and moody so it would probably be changing frequently with my mood swings. :O)

joanny said...

Welcome back, love 'baseball movies... so the 'Field of Dreams" movie came to mind with Kevin Costner although I can not remember the sound track? only the famous quote, "build it and they will come" very inspirational metaphor for life..

Happy May Day Monday,,,

joanny

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

I've done a post just like this! Like Scott Rolen's song is/was "Keep Rollin'." I have NO CLUE what mine would be but definitely something from the 80s or 90s.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I'm not sure what my song would be.

Geez, now I'm going to thinking about this all night. :P

Momma Fargo said...

Eff the Po-lice. Of course. Just kidding. I like to sneak in. No music. And surprise people. LOL

J. J. in Phila said...

Ironically, "Bad Girls," by Donna Summer. Part of my sordid past. ;)

Welcome back!

Maxi said...

No music, no song, too much attention … unless you like that sort o' thing.

God Bless

Beth Zimmerman said...

Welcome Back! Hmmmm ... Prodigal by Casting Crowns maybe. Yeah ... not the most rousing tune but definitely the story of me! :)

Krista said...

AAAAAAhahahahahahaaa.... Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen. LOL!

BobKat said...

A song by Bob Dylan, any song would do...

Welcome back... and REALLY, welcome back!!!

I'm currently stressed out by the "legal abduction" of Patricia Spottedcrow, from OK. Which is not okay.

Anyways... looking forwards to your being back. Hope all is well.

Candice said...

Spouses are always so humbling, aren't they??

Lisa said...

Well, $#!*, I might as well quit work now because I'll be trying to come up with the perfect song the rest of the day. Hmmm...maybe Her Strut by Bob Segar? Yeah, that will work fine. ;-)

CL Beck, author said...

I kind of like the "sneaking up" idea that several other people have suggested. No fanfare needed. :)

MONICA-LnP said...

WELCOME BACK!hope your pop is doing well.
me, no music necessary my rather large loud mouth is all thats needed!lol

OneSurvivor said...

The Warrior Is a Child by Twila Paris

Anastasia said...

Great song!