Best Gift

What is the best gift?

I am sure the answer varies somewhat for each of us.

I offer that a best gift is one that is meaningful, involves lots of effort to make happen, and is given to someone who will never be able to repay you.

Something like this one:



CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA— ...It was a simple request, but one that meant everything to him in his last days.

Kevin McClain wanted to see his dog one last time, before he passed away from lung cancer.

His hospice staff and workers at a local animal shelter made it happen; he died a few days later.

His dog "Yurtie" has been adopted by a new family and is adjusting well.

My thanks go to the paramedic, the hospice workers, and the folks at the animal shelter for making this happen for a homeless man.

I hope that all of us can deliver a few "best gifts" before we pass from this earth.

---------------------------------

Note: If you have trouble watching the imbedded video or it is too small, you can follow this link and watch it here.

16 comments:

J. J. in Phila said...

About six days before he died, my father got what he wanted, a small piece of chocolate cake.

Both he and I we happy about that. :)

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
I saw that story and it really got to me.
Even for a dying homeless man...
(and his beloved dog)

Hope I can have as much when my time arrives.

Good post.
Stay safe.

Travel Nurse Extraordinaire said...

I love these stories.

Matthew MacNish said...

This is awesome. Dogs are so much better than people.

Audrey Allure said...

Aw, what a sweet story.

Theresa Milstein said...

What a sweet story. It's amazing how the little things can make all the difference.

CL Beck, author said...

Touching video. Thanks for sharing. Glad the poor man was able to spend precious time with the dog he loved.

Beth Zimmerman said...

It's good to know that there are still people who are doing "whatsoever" for "whomsoever"! This was a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing!

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

I agree-seeing my dogs would be the last thing I'd want. I've asked Matt to make sure this happens if I'm ever in that situation.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Thanks for sharing. Always nice to hear good stories.

ladyfi said...

I saw this story last week - very moving indeed. A true gift.

Reggie said...

Heart-warming and moving, just beautiful. Thank you for sharing the story, Slamdunk.

Maxi said...

My husband David is in stage 3b of inoperable lung cancer it…

Would be too difficult for me to watch the video. Still…

I'm overjoyed he was able to have his last wish.

Brian Miller said...

dude that is too cool...stories like that make me smile

Momma Fargo said...

That was a super great story.

Pia said...

such a sweet, touching story.