Bottlenose Dolphins in the Surf

I was looking through some old National Geographic award-winning images, and this one by Andrew Wong jumped out at me.


The description with the fantastic photo is:

Dolphins are known to jump out the back of big waves as they break against the shores. This pod of bottlenose dolphins was leisurely surfing in the waves as the offshore wind blew against the incoming waves, creating an atmosphere that was most unique and magical. At a place called Waterfall Bluff in the Transkei, South Africa.

We enjoy watching the dolphins play in the surf during our annual beach trip (though not quite to this extreme), but with no ocean vacation this year, I may have to periodically post some sand and surf images to stay sane.

16 comments:

Kat O'Keeffe said...

Wow, what a gorgeous picture! Thanks for sharing!

Elena said...

Wow that shot is amazing...it looks photoshopped! I love scanning the horizon for dolphins whenever I get to the ocean too. Like you, I don't think we'll be heading to the beach this year so look forward to your ocean shots.

Matthew MacNish said...

I think the best part about a beautiful photo like this, is that you know the dolphins are just doing this for fun. What possible evolutionary survival purpose could it have?

None. It's just fun.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
That is one REMARKABLE photo...!

(and no board or sunblock required...how DO they "HANG TEN" anyway?)

I had no idea they did that.
I have seen 'em pace boats a lot.

Beats watching whales migrate from Cabrillo Point any day!
Thanks.

Stay safe out there.

Hilary said...

Wow.. it looks more like a surreal drawing. Just beautiful.

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Awesome pic...why no beach this year?

Nikole Hahn said...

Beautiful picture! I haven't been back here in a while and I need to come back more often.

Erin said...

Truly fantastic. I needed a magical dolphin photo this evening.

Diane said...

That photo is so super it looks doctored. Wow!!! :O)

Maxi said...

Did any of us realize that Dolphins had that much strength? I mean they are really up there.

Slamdunk said...

@My Husband's Watching TV: The Mrs. and some of her family are not getting along well lately, so rather than spend a beach vacation likely filled with drama and squablling, we are going to try something different this year and go to the mountains. We can save some money that way as well.

Ron Joe 'Geezer' said...

Great Photo! Maybe next year you can have a for real beach vacation :-)

Pia said...

great photo! it looks whimsical, magical. simply beautiful!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

That's a gorgeous photo. Love it!

Momma Fargo said...

Wow! I can't even fathom that. That is amazing.

Lisa said...

I totally agree about the sand and surf sanity shots. And this shot is truly magical. Entrepreneur and I once took a helicopter ride in Hawaii and saw a school of dolphins. I thrilled at the sight. They are marvelous.