The Limit

I am not sure when I'll have my next "Missing Person Monday" post.

I have lots of cases that I am researching, but nothing ready for the blog yet.

Thanks to all of those readers who made suggestions on missing persons and crime victims, and the cases that I am currently studying are (in no order):

Nikki LaDue January
Jacob Wetterling
David Hartley
Robert Wone

Anyway, I offer this for a Monday...
__________________________________________

Our older son has always seemed mature.

When he was two, the Mrs. would drag him to meetings at her work, and he would sit quietly looking at a book until they were over.

Note: We would never try this with either of our younger twins. It would likely result in a fire and several calls placed to 911.

As a fourth grader, we received reports of him helping to tie the shoes of a younger student after he saw the boy crying.

His maturity fits well in our noisy household that includes an attention-seeking sister and an unpredictable brother (his little brother has an autism-related disorder, but enjoys laughing and is quite the comedian nonetheless).

In respect to the older boy's maturity, I recently observed that he is not embarrassed when:

--Mom or I show up to retrieve him at basketball practice in the lowly mini-van. 

--He receives recognition from a principal for high grades while his friends relish in mediocrity.

--His brother goes into a screaming fit in a store, and we as a family make a hasty and noisy exit.

--I display my cannonballing skills in front of him for the little kids at a public swimming pool.

--His younger sister tries to give him a hug when we pick him up from school.

So what is older brother's limit?

His little brother's new "fixation" is on the youth "boy band" Big Time Rush. Little Luca now sings and dances in front of mirrors mimicking the young television performers.

Yes, having your four-year old brother repeatedly belt out the words "Looking for a Boyfriend" from a Big Time Rush Song while the family walks through a shopping mall was too much for the older boy.

With his head down and face turning red, big brother was embarrassed.

I see it as good training though.

Just wait until big brother turns 12 or 13 and realizes all of dad's faults (I mean beyond public cannonballing)--now that will elict some bright red colors.

-------------

Note: The words to the song are actually "You're looking for a boyfriend", but of course the little guy missed the "You're" part to change the meaning quite a bit.

16 comments:

Herding Cats said...

Your older son sounds like a great kid. Tying a younger student's shoelaces? That's so sweet. You should be so proud of him!

Pia said...

too cute. i agree with herding cats that you're older son is a great kid. i'm sure he is. i enjoyed reading this post.

Amy Sullivan said...

As always, thanks for putting the time into the stories of others. I lived in Littelton, Colorado during Columbine, and it still makes me tear up when I feel as if the kids involved have been forgotten because time has passed and there are loads of other stories taking up time in our heads and our hearts. Thanks for not letting stories or memories die.

As for your son. . .he must be a fantastic kid to survive your cannonballing, mall singing, and hugs for the sister! It's moments like these that make me so thankful I get to be a parent.

Have a great week.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Embarrassment aside, your older son seems WISE beyond his years...
(always a blessing)

Good post and good luck with the young'uns.

Stay safe.

Clarissa Draper said...

You should be so proud! I have a son that's wise and mature beyond his years and he makes me so proud to. I don't think I tell him enough...I should go tell him now. Thanks for the post.

Stephanie Faris said...

I bought a 12-pack of Grape Crush yesterday on which was printed instructions on entering a contest to win a cruise for 4 with Big Time Rush. You might want to pick up some Grape Crush! I think the #s you need are either on the box or the cans. Here's the website:

http://www.crushsoda.com/

Chip "Rocket Man" Allen said...

He does sound like a great kid. As much as I hate to admit it I once drove a minivan but after 2 years I just couldn't do it anymore and traded it in for a HUGE SUV while the wife was at work one day. It only took about a year for her to stop threatening my life. Then she got over her fear of the beast and took it away from me!

Theresa Milstein said...

My son is on the eve of 13, and I haven't become horridly embarrassing yet (unless I try on purpose) so hopefully you have some time yet.

Your son sounds like a great kid. I'm sure it's partially how he's being raised.

ladyfi said...

Your older son sounds like an angel!

Beth Zimmerman said...

He sounds like a boy of whom you should be very proud! :)

Jeanette Levellie said...

That's one excellent heart for an eight year old! I think he's allowed some embarassment over that one, huh?

Blessings as you raise these gifts from Heaven,
Jen

BobKat said...

Good honest post!

We never know quit what we'll get in life, sometimes the future is not quite like we expect. All your children have gifts, and for you there are those proud moments and the worries. There is also the unknown, as ultimately, hopefully, they will find their place in the world, it'll be a good place, and hopefully, though good for them it won't cause you to be red-faced, as my choices to be a custodian at a community college - age 21, caused my mother.

I think you can see there's little about me that's an embarrassment. But like your mature son, a song, was that... just a song. And my guess, sung loudly. But it was, just a song.

Momma Fargo said...

Add Justin Harris to your list.:)

Opus #6 said...

I have a 12-y-o boy at home and he is beginning to understand the meaning of the word Embarrassed. And yet, he cultivates a thick skin, knowing that is the cure for his ills. Great post.

Maxi said...

A two-year-old boy sitting quietly at mom's work meeting.

Count your blessings.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you write, It touches my heart and makes me think. You sound like a wonderful father. The acorn never falls far from the tree.