Beach Dreams

Background for this post: I currently sleep in a twin bed that is situated in the hallway next to the bathroom and outside our youngest son's door.  The bed's location is convenient for kids to play around while waiting for their nightly bath.

With the youngest--he is getting to be a good sleeper, but tends to be a wanderer if left unsupervised, so my job is to intercept him if he decides to sneak into mom's bedroom for a 3 am bed jump or something.


Anyway...

______________________________

Ahh, the sound of nothing.

No little kid laughs or screams.

No blaring television or requests for backyard football.

No thump of the front door as it resists being opened due to the summer's humidity.

Just darkness and solitude in our quiet sleeping house.

Ok, silence except for the audible low groan of our lab mix snoring.

It is the end of another day.

Yawning then rubbing my red eyes, I pull back the worn sheets on my hallway bed.

I wonder how many times I'll get awakened by curtain climbers tonight?

I dive under the sheets and close my eyes in the dark room.

My thoughts race and arrive at a serene scene: a bright summer sun, a blue ocean with a sailboat bobbing near the horizon, small waves dancing on a secluded beach, and the warm sand on my bare feet.

I stretch my toes and continue the pleasant thought.

Wait...

This dream has an element of realism.

I shift my legs back and forth under the covers, and something feels abrasive.

Scratch.

What?

No.

Sand.

Lots of it.

My bed is littered with sand.

Golden powder from our backyard sandbox.

Transported by one of the kids prior to bath time.

And deposited in my sleeping quarters.

On this night, I certainly did not get the last laugh. 

The children did.

Beach dreams?

Argh...

20 comments:

J. J. in Phila said...

Just think of all the money you saved by not having to go to the beach for the same effect. ;)

Matthew MacNish said...

Wait. You sleep in the hallway? That actually sounds nice. I may have to try that.

Diane said...

WAy to set me up with that one!

Wow, your kids sure do know how to bring the beach to them. Jealous!!! :O)

Beth Zimmerman said...

Very well written, SD! Made me laugh! But I'm a little sad that you've been consigned to the hallway. Everything okay?

Katherines Corner said...

gigle...hugs

Jennifer Hillier said...

Probably not the beach dreams you really wanted, huh? LOL

Hilary said...

Too funny. Life really is a beach, eh?

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Totally sucky!!! I would have then taken the sand BACK to them.

Jen said...

I was thinking how I misssed when my daughter would creep into my bed and snuggle...then I got to the sand part...

Stephen Tremp said...

I can actually laugh at this. Wifey hates the sand in the bed. Try as I might, including baths and showers, the kids always seem to get sand in the bed. Or dirt. Or rolly pollies.

julie fedderson said...

I loved this, but in my house, sand is more likely to be Cheetos sprinkled in my sheets. Nebraska is a land locked state, gotta improvise.

texwisgirl said...

oh, that is precious! congrats on your POTW!

Maxi said...

A grown man on a twin bed? On guard duty?

Not much sleep going on here.

lailani said...

...but, did YOU have beach dreams? :) I think I would not have fallen to sleep after that or moved to the couch ;)

ZaSu Says said...

Nothing like sandy sheets. I'd even eat a sandwich with sand rather than sleep in sandy sheets.
PS You're a great Dad!

silly rabbit said...

Congratulations on your POTW award!

Life with children is never dull. So many unexpected surprises. And I love that place... not quit sleeping... where reality and dream begin to blend. A lovely tale!

Barb said...

I know of those restless nights and tired days, but enjoy it while you can. Mine are all grown, and I've started the cycle again with Grandchildren. This time though - I can send them home after a couple hours or couple days! The thought of grit in YOUR sheets made me smile.

James (SeattleDad) said...

The lengths we go to...

Good luck on getting back to your own bed soon.

missing moments said...

Too funny ... so glad those days are behind me! Hope you return to your bedroom soon!

ladyfi said...

Ah - the joys of parenthood!