Prosecuting Casey Anthony: The Cost

Congrats to Japan for winning the World Cup on penalty kicks.

This is the equivalent of the NBA Championship being decided by a tie-breaking free throw shooting contest. 

Oh sorry, I already complained about soccer penalty kicks last week.

Back to today's post...

__________________________________

As Casey Anthony joined the general public on Sunday, The St. Petersburg Times published an interesting article on the aftermath of her trial--specifically the costs.

Since Ms. Anthony was declared indigent by the court prior to the trial (her family had already spent $300,000 on legal costs), taxpayers will be paying her legal bills.
The article describes:
  • $200,000 to select, house, feed, entertain and guard the 17 jurors who spent six weeks in Orlando for the duration of the trial. 
  • $138,000+ for defense attorneys to defend her (e.g. expert witnesses and private investigators)
  • $91,000+ for prosecuting attorneys
  • Officials from the Orange County Sheriff's Department are still calculating their costs.

In total, Florida citizens will absorb well over $400,000 in costs for the Anthony trial--as the bill for many death penalty cases exceeds a million dollars.
_____________________

Some believe Ms. Anthony will cash in on financial opportunities in the near future, and it will be interesting to see how many entities pursue her civilly.

Currently, the former defendant is facing two civil lawsuits: 1) The woman with the same name that Casey had accused of taking her daughter, Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez, filed a defamation suit; and, 2) Texas EquuSearch Mounted Search and Recovery is trying to recoup $100,000 that the organization spent searching for Caylee in 2008.

In the end, a young child is dead, the public is left with few answers, an insane amount of money was spent to prosecute someone who was found not guilty, and taxpayers will be footing the bill for years to come.

13 comments:

Momma Fargo said...

Another fail in our system. Oy.

J. J. in Phila said...

One of the most disturbing aspects of the prosecution case was that the jury found the main charge so weak that, even before discussion, the jury voted 10-2 to acquit. That tells me that, despite the huge negative publicity for Ms. Anthony before the trial, a judge who basically made decision favoring the prosecution, and an arguably better prosecutor than a defense attorney, that charge should have never been brought. Just watching the prosecution closing arguments, I probably would have voted with the majority on that one.

Perhaps there should be a better screening process before filing charges.

It is sad, because I think Ms. Anthony was guilty of more than which she was convicted.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Everything about this case makes me feel like I need a shower.

And those numbers are shocking. And dismaying.

Pia said...

this is really interesting. i only get to watch stuff about casey anthony on tv which of course is always delayed news when it finally gets to me. =)

Mommy Lisa said...

I can barely tolerate any news of this trial as my child was approximately the same age as Caylee - I could NEVER EVER imagined anyone doing something like that to my child. It sickens me!

Brian Miller said...

i can not figure this one out...it all just left me shaking my head...

Lydia K said...

Unbelievable.

BobKat said...

I take an objective approach to this issue, one that may not coincide with what others believe.

I don't buy the defense approach that Casey's daughter, Caylee, drowned in a swimming pool. Her death is extremely tragic... who can't but feel compassion for the deceased child and emotions towards the mother?

Where I diverge perhaps is my interpretation of the law and judicial system, the idea of "innocent until proven guilty". Casey was found "not guilty of all the charges except lying to the police. I can attest, that when in the presence of the police under questioning, it is an extremely stressful experience, one nobody wants.

I rarely if ever lie, but have I ever lied to the police? I don't dare say...

Which brings us to the cost of Justice? I would have to say my feeling is that when Justice in America is available only to those that can afford it, this won't be the USA.

J said...

Very well said, BobKat.

Selma said...

Wow. It really is incredible. And so sad for all concerned.

Maxi said...

As a Florida taxpayer who must pay for this case, we have decided to bring something good from this case…

Caylee's Law: a child must be reported missing within 48 hours

Jose Diaz(R)has introduced Caylee's Law to Congress.

Sarah Forgrave said...

Shocking. And no matter how much money she makes off of it, I don't think she'll ever feel free.

Nikole Hahn said...

And a murderer gets rewarded by book deals and movie deals. Such is the world that we live in.