Thirty Minutes or Less

I have seen the trailer for the upcoming comedy 30 Minutes or Less, and am less than impressed.

Is the entertainment industry so desperate for ideas that they need to mock the victims (murder and robbery) of the "Collar Bomb Incident" in Erie (PA) by using that real crime story as the basis for cheap laughs?

What is the producers' next project, a satirical look at the fashion of Dylan Kleibold and Eric Harris during the massacre at Columbine?

Though I won't offer an unfavorable recommendation on a movie that I have not see (see Wednesday's post), the premise does not appeal to me.

More specifically, I think the concept is classless.

For those who are not familiar with the Collar Bomb case, it involved one of the strangest bank robberies ever.

In August 2003, middle-aged pizza delivery man Bryan Wells walked into a Pennsylvania bank and handed a teller a note demanding $250,000.  He then lifted his shirt to reveal a bomb. 

Bank employees handed Wells less than $10,000 and he fled the scene only to be surrounded by PA State Troopers a short time later.  Wells told troopers that he had been made to wear the explosive, but before bomb squad officers arrived, the device detonated killing Wells.

License Photo of Brian Wells
Several years later, Marjorie Diehl-Armstrong and Kenneth Barnes were convicted of multiple felonies involving the bank robbery and the death of Wells.  Prosecutors also argued that Wells was part of the criminal conspiracy. 

Despite that argument, some are not convinced with the closure offered by authorities, and continue to hypothesize about the case.

Strange crime, but certainly not what I would consider to be suitable material for a comedy on the big screen.
_______________________

Have a good weekend everyone.

17 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

Wow! I hadn't heard of it before. Enjoy your weekend, too.

The Blonde Duck said...

I agree!

Clarissa Draper said...

They are making THAT case into a COMEDY!? That's insane. I can understand if they want to make a true crime movie or something but that's just sad.

terri said...

This was made into a comedy??? Tasteless. I agree. I won't bother to see it.

Sue said...

I thought the same thing, Slam. My heart broke instantly because I remember that case WELL. They had him on live TV. I live close to Erie so it was big news here. That was the stupidest choice in a movie idea I have ever EVER seen.

J. J. in Phila said...

Well, the bomb idea was actually used on an episode of Ironsides. A belt, not a collar, was used.

I don't know if it is just "inspired" by the case, or an attempt to comically "retell" the case. To me, that would make a difference. The first might be okay; the second would probably not be okay.

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Why does his license photo have a crease in it? I didn't know it was based off a real story.

Bob G. said...

SLamdunk:
Excellent points about what passes for "comedy" these days in the cinema.

Good call.

Stay safe out there.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I agree. Classless is a diplomatic way to describe it!

T.O. Geezer said...

Thanks for the review. I think I'll save my money :-)

God bless and have a great weekend.

~Ron

secret agent woman said...

How sad for the dead guy's family to see a show hat make slight of his death.

BobKat said...

I agree, if such an event is to be a "comedy" it's classless and inappropriate, raising the potential for a whole new genre of classless comedies based on crime victims. Laughter may be good medicine, but this type of comedy is not laughable.

Maxi said...

There are no boundaries for those who put money above all.

Elena said...

I remember that. A comedy? Really? Guess there are no more comic book characters, or sequels, or remakes left. Remember when Hollywood actually had a golden era?

julie fedderson said...

Yikes. That does not sound comical at all. Of course, many of the "comedies" that are out lately are just exercises in the absurd and raunchy. My sense of humor runs to the non-PC, but tasteless should never be confused with funny.

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the comments all.

@ MyHusband...: Yeah, it looks like some of the media simply used a scan of his worn license and then cropped it down to just the photo--instead of obtaining a copy of the image from the department of motor vehicles.

Kristin said...

I don't think I'll be seeing that one.