Urgent Call

Background: Our five-year old daughter, Sissy, regularly practices grabbing mom's cell phone and dialing her grandma, aunt, or anyone else on the Mrs.' programmed list who will chat with her.

___________________________________________________________

"That'll be $23.07."

"Sure," I reply as I pay the man behind the counter.

It is a good thing the little ones don't consume much pizza yet; soon, I'll realize the full fiscal impact of a family carry-out dinner.

"Here, you go sir.  Have a good night," the employee adds as he hands me the boxes and bags that comprise our order.

I get everything balanced between my arms, hands and chin, and turn to exit the restaurant.

RRRRRRRRingggg.; RRRRRRRinngggg.

My cargo shorts emit the annoying classic bell tone of my cell.

"What timing," I mumble knowing that I better answer it in case of an urgent message from the family that includes additional marching orders.

I place the pizzas on a side table, fish the phone from the third pocket I try amidst an unused diaper, Kleenexes, wipes, a folded sheet of paper about what I can't remember, keys, and wallet, and respond to the call with a hasty "Hello."

"You're stupid daddy."

"Uh, yes, hi Sissy.  What do you all need?"

"You are stupid."

"You just called to say that?"

"Yep."

"Ok, see you in a few." I end the call, grab my pile, and with little grace or dexterity, stumble to my car.

Yes, father and daughter bonding--treasured memories that will last a lifetime.

21 comments:

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

LMBO! Wouldn't have wanted to miss that emergency call! :)

Krista said...

THAT is adorable. These are the emergencies that you will remember - with a smile - for the rest of your life!

I bet you will also share this with her friend when she grows up a bit. Truly awesome. :o)

Krista said...

Sorry that was supposed to say friendS. Hopefully she will have more than one. If she doesn't tell them all they're stupid. hehe

Mommy Lisa said...

OMG - I am peeing my panties over that one. ;)

Dan said...

At least she got the right number. It is really hard to explain to some people on your phone list why a random voice called to tell them they are stupid.

The Blonde Duck said...

Awww!

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Goes to show that cell phone technology is NOT without it's inherent "flaws"...

And to think YOU paid for that call, too.

Good post.

Stay safe out there.

Clarissa Draper said...

That's so funny. I'm glad it wasn't an emergency.

Chip "Rocket Man" Allen said...

Our little one is 19, has her own apartment in town and about to start her sophomore year in college and I STILL get those calls! I don't have diapers and wipes in the pockets of my cargo shorts but I still have to dig through the pockets to find my phone. At least I get to listen to Guns & Roses playing "Sweet Child of Mine" when she calls.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

LOL Just wait until swear words become part of her vocabulary. I've been called a lot worse from my 11 yo. :P

Sarah Forgrave said...

LOL. Thankfully my son hasn't figured out how to actually dial a number on our phone. I'm just waiting for the day...

terri said...

And she will continue to carry that attitude on into her teenage years, but it will never be quite as cute as it was during that phone call! :-)

Lydia K said...

OMG, that was so funny! My little one accidentally dials her grandma all the time, but then just leaves her hanging.

Candice said...

I had to share this with my hubby- toooooooooo funny. :)

Lisa said...

Just consider this a bit of foreshadowing because in about 10 years, you'll hear it all again. ;-)

Research Paper said...

Thank you for sharing such relevant topic with us. I really love all the great stuff you provide. Thanks again and keep it coming.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Hahaha, nice. And the phone is ALWAYS in the pocket of the hand you are holding everything with too, isn't it?

Diana said...

LOL! That's cute.

It happens with grandkids, too.

Jess Wright said...

What a funny emergency! At least you have a fun story to tell :-)

Pia said...

Haha! Funny!!!

woacf said...

That's priceless.