What Not to Do at 430 AM

On things not to do at 4:30 a.m. :

If you're going to mow your lawn at an odd hour in Oklahoma City, you might make sure all of your neighbors think it's a reasonable time first.

Phil Gage, 40, of Oklahoma City, ran into trouble Friday when he mowed his yard at 4:30 a.m., drawing complaints from at least one neighbor.

City officials said a man arrested last week after a neighbor complained about him mowing his lawn at 4:30 a.m. is charged with violating the city's noise ordinance.

A section of the ordinance prohibits noise that “annoys or disturbs a reasonable person of normal sensitivities.”

It will be up to the city's municipal court system to decide if such a person would be annoyed by Phil Ray Gage, 40, mowing his lawn in the early hours of Aug. 26.

His first appearance in court is scheduled for Sept. 26, a court spokesman said...

...Gage's house has a lawn in slightly better shape than many of the other drought-ravaged lawns on his middle-class street in the 2500 block of NW 33...

Where was this officer on Saturday mornings when I was a really sleepy high schooler, and our next door neighbor would power-up his monster riding lawn mower to work on his yard at a dreadful waking hour?

Where is the justice for my lost slumber?

What?

Say it again?

I slept until noon back then?

And, he started mowing after 10 am on Saturday mornings back in the good ol' days?

Well...er...uh...yes...I guess it was around ten am, but...but... it was still way too early.

Ok, nothing to see here move along.

Note: As always, there is more to the story, but it is unrelated to the theme of my post.  Here is the officer's report--it does contain very offensive language, just so you know.

_______________________________

Have a good weekend everyone.

17 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

What? I thought everyone mowed their lawn that early. lol

Jinksy said...

My days often start at that hour... :)

Diane said...

So many things to consider on that one as to why that would never be me mowing at 4:30.

I like sleep.
The dew on the grass making it too wet to mow well.
Powerful lights on that mower that I don't have.
I can't work on my tan.... :O)

Chip "Rocket Man" Allen said...

Man, I wish the dufus across the street would fire up his mower that early so I could find out how well my wrist rocket would do at knocking him off the mower......and out cold.

Momma Fargo said...

Ok. Maybe too early, but what about a citation? Jail? We would be hanged by the judge here if we did that.

Audrey Allure said...

lol, I've been awaken by a lawn mower plenty of times. I think it's more appropriate to mow the lawn at least by noon lol.

Ed Pilolla said...

my days start closer to 10, as yours used to, and i is thankful:)

Lisa said...

And I get irritated when Entrepreneur wants to mow at 8am on a Saturday!

Kristen @ Motherese said...

We have a neighbor who likes to start yard work at a pretty early hour, but 4:30 a.m. would really be pushing it, even for him. Isn't it tricky to mow in the dark? :)

Selma said...

Who mows the lawn at 4.30AM? Isn't it still dark? So glad he's not my neighbour....

Maxi said...

I'm with Selma, how can Phil see to mow the lawn at 4:30am?

Another thing, he may have the best looking lawn but he's the least considerate neighbor.

Expat From Hell said...

I thought Oklahoma was in the middle of the worst drought in decades. Do you think he gets up at 4:30AM to water, also? EFH

Elliot MacLeod-Michael said...

And to think my neighbor has the unmitigated gall to do yard work before the crack of 11.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

I would definitely say that mowing your lawn that early is a travesty. However, I don't know that he should have been arrested. I read the police report and he sounds offensive but to me it seems like one should get a warning for their first offense of this nature... it's not really a big enough deal to rest someone over on first contact.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Either that guy's Circadian rhythm is WAY off, or he's suffering from that "special kind of stupid".

But, at least in OK City they DO enforce the noise ordinance.
(amazing)

Wish Ft. Wayne would take a page from that department's handbook.

Stay safe out there.

James (SeattleDad) said...

He should just use a hand powered push mower like me. Then there wouldn't be a problem at all.

CL Beck, author said...

Unfortunately, it appears that common sense and consideration for others had fled the scene.