Baseball Loses, Marching Band Gains

I usually don't need to borrow humorist family exchanges from others, but this one relayed to me by the Mrs. seemed worth it.

In the story below, Dr. Jolly's ten-year-old son is afraid that a decision may disappoint his father, but that is not the case. As every supportive father should, the Dr. just wants his children to be happy.  


_____________________________

DR. JOLLY'S SON: Dad, I don't want to play baseball this year.

DR. JOLLY:  Why not son?  You were hitting the ball well last year and having fun.

DR. JOLLY'S SON: I just don't like it.  Sorry dad.

The son bows his head thinking he has disappointed dad who played baseball in college.  Dad pats his son on the head to comfort him.

DR. JOLLY:  Ahh, no worries son.  Your mom and I do expect you to be involved.  You'll need to pick another activity.

DR. JOLLY'S SON: Ok.

DR. JOLLY:  How about scouts or soccer or something?  .

DR. JOLLY'S SON: No, I don't think so.

DR. JOLLY: How about the school band? You could pick up an instrument now, and be ready for the marching band in a few years.

The son lifts his head, smiles, and stares out the car window.

DR. JOLLY'S SON: Yeah Dad! That is what I want to do. And I know what instrument I can learn to play for the marching band.

DR. JOLLY: Wonderful son, I am proud of you. What instrument?

DR. JOLLY'S SON: Dad, I want to play the ukulele.

The father lets out a playful chuckle, but quickly composes himself to address his son's dream.

DR. JOLLY: Now, I am not a musician, but I am certain that the marching band does not have a first and second chair ukulele player.

DR. JOLLY'S SON: I don't care. I am going to be a ukulele star.

-----------

And so it was.

Several weeks later Dr. Jolly's grade schooler sits with an instructor and three other ukulele players--the next youngest aspiring musician being twenty-five years old.

Perhaps he will become the first marching ukulele performer.


___________________________________

Thumbs-up to everyone who still has a dream.

Have a good weekend everyone.

28 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

You just never know. Have a good weekend also.

Pat Hatt said...

One should always follow what they want to do and who knows, could be the first.

The Blonde Duck said...

The road less traveled!

Matthew MacNish said...

That is awesome. What a cool kid!

Little Ms. Fun said...

My brother played the guitar since he was little. He loved it! Then one day last year he sat up and said "I want to play the ukelele". Now, I didn't even know what this was. But sure enough, a few weeks later, he taught himself how to play Imagine by John Lennon.

It all comes down to dedication and passion! Have a great weekend :)

Brian Miller said...

hey eddie vedder of pearl jame just put out a euk album this summer....

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I like his originality!

Christina Lee said...

Made of awesome sauce!

Lydia Kang said...

Yay story is adorable! What a supportive dad.

Ed Pilolla said...

what a cool story. i imagine it is fun being supportive of a child and surprising him that way too.
:)
kid has a good dad.

Diane said...

It's the crazy dreamers that always make it. LOVE IT!!! :O)

Diana said...

That is awesome! What a great dad! I think the phrase "do what you love" also applies to hobbies and such, not just jobs. More power to the young man!

Chip "Rocket Man" Allen said...

You never know. There was a time when I was competing to become the worst coronet player on the planet. It was 6th grade and I wanted to go to San Francisco with flowers in my hair but Dad decided to listen to our music appreciation teacher instead of me. And then he had to listen to me for the rest of the year at which time he was offering to send me to San Francisco so he wouldn't have to listen to that RATZENFRATZENFILTHY coronet anymore!

julie fedderson said...

What a great dad! Here's to that boy being the first mega-star of ukelele musicians!

Beth Zimmerman said...

Hey! It worked for Tiny Tim! :)

Have a great weekend! (Yeah ... I'm showing my age. Please tell me you know who Tiny Tim is/was!)

Reggie said...

Aw, that is too cute! I hope he DOES become the first marching band ukelele player!

Good on the dad for being so calmly supportive.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Sweet Story... made me smile. My son has his list of things he likes, but my girl is still trying to find her niche.

Elena said...

I could almost hear the marching band playing "Honolulu Baby!"

Michael Offutt said...

Like Steve Jobs says (and I'm paraphrasing)...you have to find something that you enjoy in life because you're going to spend a lot of time doing it.

Jeanette Levellie said...

Oh, this is great!!! They should move to Hawaii!

Hilary said...

That's a sweet story.. thanks for sharing it. :)

Elliot MacLeod-Michael said...

It seemed to work for Tiny Tim.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Love this, this is actually very inspiring!

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Oh geez! We have a guy at work that plays that at special events and it's fun at first but then it gets REAL old...it may have to do with the alcohol involved too...

Momma Fargo said...

Haha! That was cute. Good luck to the inspiring star.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Awesome. The Uke is the next BIG instrument. Ed Ved is proof it can be cool.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Awesome. The Uke is the next BIG instrument. Ed Ved is proof it can be cool.

Lisa said...

Who knows...maybe we'll see entire orchestra sections of ukuleles someday! All thanks to one kid who has a dream. :-)