A Resolution: Raven Run

The youngest recovered from the coughs and sniffles so he was fresh for a stomach virus.  Poor guy.

Anyway, I'll have my regular missing persons/crime series post next week.

_____________________________________________

On January 1, 1975, Robert Kraft of Miami Beach, FL began keeping a New Year's resolution.

He had pledged that he would run eight miles daily for a year along the white sandy beaches of the Atlantic Ocean.

Not a regular runner, Robert had been training for more than a year to achieve the eight-mile goal.

He had returned to Florida after an unsuccessful career as a songwriter--an experience that left him angry and depressed.

But on that January day Robert finished.

He found running to be good for his physical and emotional well-being.

Most of all, Robert wanted to teach himself discipline.

Then on January 2, he ran another eight miles. Despite weather, physical ailments, and other challenges, Robert met his goal--365 days of running eight miles.

So what did Robert complete on January 1, 1976?

An eight-mile run of course.

In fact, Robert never stopped. For more than 36 years he has run the same stretch of Miami Beach.

Every day. Eight miles.

A run that often includes a sunset.

For the first several years he ran alone.

But then others saw his daily commitment and asked if they could join him.

Robert creates a nickname for those who run with him--complete one and you are in the club.

The Raven Run was born.

Over 700 runners from more than 60 different countries and 48 states have completed at least one run with him.

Here is how one of his regulars describes the experience:

He runs eight miles on the beach in soft sand each afternoon. Beginning and ending at the same place...the sixth street lifeguard stand. What is so special about that?

...Perhaps more than the sheer doggedness of never failing to appear, of always finishing, is the manner in which this gentle man conducts himself. You see, this run takes place under the most beautiful skies....alongside the Atlantic Ocean...each day is a celebration of all time, of all days, each one special in itself, individual. ...

...It is as if by the act of running, Raven is drawing a portrait of each day, dignifying its grace, beauty, temporality, its thereness. Well, I guess you gotta be there. The thing is, it is not a race...this is a way of being, THERE...

So as we welcome a new year, I hope we all can commit ourselves to something positive.

Running or whatever.

Exercising our physical and mental well-being.

Fellowship with others.

And enjoying each day.

And the sunsets that we are blessed to see.

------------

This is the Raven Run group for New Year's Eve 2011.

18 comments:

rachelsjunkinthetrunk said...

Yeah for the Raven Run!Wow 8 miles every day for 365 days. Amazing! I am working on walking 60 minutes a day on my eliptical. Back to my pre-Julia days.(She's 13 now) Started Dec 7th...I am up to 10 minutes, Mountain level 3.....Back when I started I was ready to pass out after 5 minutes. One day I will be back to my routine ...60 minutes a day,level 18 mountain....This post has now motivated me to get m-o-v-i-n-g.....Thank you!

Pat Hatt said...

Wow that would truly take discipline, maybe he's where Forrest Gump stole the idea from..haha

Miranda Hardy said...

I love this story. It's so close to home, literally, and I've never heard it before.

I hope 2012 brings good things your way and I'll be reading your crime stories (looking forward to the funny ones).

Elisabeth Hirsch said...

What an Inspiration. That is so neat!

Janet Johnson said...

Wow! That is so inspiring. It just makes me want to smile . . . and then go run 8 miles.

Here's to taking a page from his book!

Stephen Tremp said...

I'd love to get to that point as I used to run track in high school. Now I'm inspired. One mile today and build from there. Happy New Year to you and yours!

Little Ms. Fun said...

8 Miles is a little far for me!! But the message here is great. You can do anything you set your mind to. Heres to positive things in 2012 :)

ladyfi said...

Hope your son feels better soon!

Michael Offutt, Visitor from the Future said...

I would run on the beach. But I don't live in Florida. I live in freezing cold Utah which by the very virtue of it being freezing cold, makes you want to stay indoors where it is warm.

James (SeattleDad) said...

That is a pretty cool story. Thanks for sharing. Gives me inspiration for my own goals of 2012.

secret agent woman said...

Aw, I hope your son is on the mend!

"Running or whatever." I like that - leaves you all kinds of options!

Dawn said...

oh! this is commitment and discipline!!!! Wow.
Incredible. If we all could be as half as committed as this!

Hope your little guy gets better...that sounds awful...

Best wishes for this new year ahead!

Lisa said...

Glad to see you back after Christmas vacay. I wish you a prosperous and deliriously happy 2012!

Miss Caitlin S. said...

thank you for again highlighting an everyday hero who I had never heard of before- simply amazing (and reminds me of Forrest Gump..). You summarize it so well at the end- the rewards in reading this story or simply taking part of it go so far beyond foot to sand.

Maxi said...

Encouraging story Slam. For years I have said…

Everything in life comes down to how bad you want it.

Blessings to you and your family in 2012.

Maxi

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

8 miles daily would be tough to pull off. Injuries and illness can get in the way.

I hope your family is all better now :-)

terri said...

What an amazing commitment and amazing accomplishment! Running 8 miles is more than I can manage, but I like the concept of committing to something positive.

Trooper Thorn said...

Very cool. That is now on my bucket list.