Josh Powell and Samantha Koenig

I don't usually have two missing persons posts in a row, but had a couple of pressing items.

I was at a loss for words on the news that the children of missing Utah woman Susan Powell were murdered by their father Josh Powell.

Sunday, Josh Powell prevented a contract worker charged with monitoring a visit with his children from entering his home and then caused an explosion that killed himself and his two young sons, Charlie and Braiden Powell.

Josh Powell had been considered a person of interest in his wife's disappearance in 2009 when he stated that she went to bed at their home while he left to go camping with his kids (then ages two and four).

Camping at 11 pm on a Sunday night.

With two small children.

In December, with temperatures outside below freezing.

Camping.

Wow, those kids deserved better.

I did want to repost this video from an interview with Josh Powell that was conducted by a local Utah television reporter shortly after his wife was reported missing.

This was before he stopped talking to anyone about his missing wife--and relevant considering it is always interesting to see a person talk before they have had time to think about responses.







It is unknown if there will be any new developments based on the children's deaths.

My previous posts on Susan Powell are here.

--------------------------------------

Also, reader "Diana" who blogs at In the Heart of Kansas reminded me of a current missing persons case from Anchorage, Alaska that was in the national news this weekend.

Last Wednesday, the surveillance system at a coffee stand appeared to show the one employee working that night, Samantha Koenig, was abducted by an armed man dressed in a dark hooded sweatshirt.

Ms. Koenig has not been seen since.


I did see that online readers of Ms. Koenig's case were being highly critical of authorities for not releasing the video footage to the public.

They argue that someone may recognize the suspect, no matter how bad the quality is, and it should be made available immediately.

Having been on the law enforcement side of investigations, all I can say is: let the police do their jobs. 

If they have not released the video to the public, then there is a very good reason behind that decision--police obviously feel that the abducted woman's safety would be further compromised by allowing everyone to see the tape right now.

It is important to remember that law enforcement has more information on these cases than myself or any citizen will ever know.

-----------------------

My prayers are with the Powell family and for Ms. Koenig's safe return, and thank you to Diana for the post suggestion.

21 comments:

Pia said...

I haven't seen that tape before, it's almost painful to watch. He is in trouble and he knows it, trying to come up with some excuse and knowing nobody believes him.

You're right - let the LE do their job. I for one trust that they know what they're doing, it is by no means necessary for public to know every little detail.

Miranda Hardy said...

I read about these cases. They are both very sad.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I remember the Powell case... that's just so heartbreaking.

Em-Musing said...

Something crawled into these people's soul-- it's called evil. My mind can't wrap around humans doing these atrocious acts especially when it involves children.

Sue said...

I read about the Powell's in the paper yesterday and nearly lost my balance (I was standing). As a mother, I just don't understand how somebody can harm their own children.

As for the other case, I hope they find Ms. Koenig. I can understand the frustration behind not releasing the video (from a public point of view), because I remember the frustration I felt in finding out well after the fact that Beany had been pulled over and when she was reported missing by her husband he was not made aware. But I hope people can look past that and ask what else they can do rather than sending negative energy to law enforcement. I hope she is found safe.

Pat Hatt said...

Yeah he is definitely back peddling in the interview. You truly have to snap to do that to your own kids, but when someone goes off the deep end they have no real reasoning for their actions.

Always a reason things are held back, people can whine all they want.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

The first case is so weird... And I hope the police do find the missing woman from the second case asap, hopefully the tape can really shed some light on it! I agree too, that the average citizen will never know certain details, and it's for a reason.

Shirley Wells said...

What terribly sad cases.

He looks so awkward in that interview. He knows he's in trouble and is trying desperately to dig himself out. How awful.

Elisabeth Hirsch said...

That video is crazy! The poor wife and children!

Talli Roland said...

I didn't know about either of these cases. Heartbreaking.

Rachna Chhabria said...

These are really sad cases.

Jax said...

Omg, this is so sad! Camping in below freezing temperatures? That father is clearly psychotic.

JJ.in.Phila said...

Two sad stories. :(

Christina Lee said...

I've been having a really hard time the last two days getting the Powell case out of my head! And the details that came out today made me burst into tears. EVIL!

Jenny said...

Cases like this, especially the ones involving children, make me so angry and so sad. Absolutely the definition of heartbreaking.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I heard about the Powell boys this morning. Just breaks my heart. Why didn't the guy just kill himself?

Maxi said...

It's the lowest of the low who don't feel their children dederve to live when they take their own lives.

Prayers to the family of Samantha Koening, IF she is alive, I pray that she didn't suffer.

Blessings - Maxi

Rachel said...

Speaking of the Koenig case... do you have any opinion on the Lauren Spierer case and how it was handled? And the developments, or lack of, since her disappearance? She popped back into the news this week briefly.

Momma Fargo said...

I, too, was stunned on the Powell tragedy. I will be watching developments with eyes wide open. I also agree with not always second guessing why the police don't release certain things. We don't know everything behind the case.

Diana said...

The Powell boys are surely in the arms of Jesus... such a sad thing. Thoughts and prayers to their families, especially the heartbroken grandparents.

Prayers also for the family of Samantha Koenig, that her story turns out better soshe can be brought home safe.

Heather said...

We have two missing persons cases in the cincinnati area that are very sad & frightening:

Paige Johnson
http://www.wlwt.com/r/29170523/detail.html

Katelyn Markham
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/markham_katelyn.html