Romance Criminal Justice Style

We are battling a stomach bug here at the Slamdunk residence, so I'll keep today's post short.
____________________________________________

I think I have decided on my Valentine's Day benchmark.

I have to be more romantic than those involved in this date:


...a Florida judge ruled on Tuesday that a man involved in a scuffle with his wife treat her to an evening at a local bowling alley and a romantic meal at Red Lobster. Judge John Hurley ordered that Joseph Bray, 47 and his wife Sonja, 39, also visit a marriage counselor.

Hurley handed down this ruling instead of setting bond or slapping Bray with a prison sentence after he deemed domestic violence charges leveled by Bray's wife to be "very, very minor."

According to Bray's arrest affidavit, Bray and his wife got embroiled in a spat after he failed to wish her a happy birthday. Bray's wife claims that her husband shoved her against a sofa and grabbed her neck.

The judge, citing Bray's otherwise clean record and the incident's apparent lack of serious violence, did not consider Bray's behavior a major offense. However, Bray must follow the stipulations of Hurley's ruling very closely if he wants to avoid potential jail time.

"He's going to stop by somewhere and he's going to get some flowers," Hurley said at a hearing, according to Florida newspaper Sun Sentinel. "And then he's going to go home, pick up his wife, get dressed, take her to Red Lobster. And then after they have Red Lobster, they're going to go bowling..."

A Court mandated date that includes flowers, a Red Lobster dinner, and bowling, eh?

Let's hope I can do better than that. 

But wait...

When their date is completed, does the judge issue a signed certificate that is suitable for framing?

If so, I may have set my romance bar too high.

Let me rethink this.

-----------------------

I am kidding, really....

_________________________________

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Note: When this story of the deal became public, there were quite a few folks who criticized it.  If I was a prosecutor or judge, I would not want my name attached to it, but for this "date" to happen, the judge, prosecutor, victim, and defense had to have agreed to it.  I am sure these folks are hoping that no additional news is good news.   

20 comments:

Opus #6 said...

I hope he doesn't crack her skull next time.

Miranda Hardy said...

What an awesome ruling. lol I couldn't stop laughing. (Not at the domestic violence, but at the judge.)

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

It's not funny and yet I'm giggling anyway. Couldn't the judge have set the bar a little higher... Red Lobster???

The Blonde Duck said...

Nothing says love like bowling and Red Lobster after a MRI.

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

wow... ummm.. just.
wow.

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

Any particular reason for Red Lobster?

I like the spirit of the law here, but I think the letter might be more warranted in this case.

Pat Hatt said...

LOL who knew the court system was trying to become like the match game or newlyweds or whatever those gameshows are

Elisabeth Hirsch said...

That ruling is golden!

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

This is very unusual to say the least.

Hope you all feel better asap!

Beth Zimmerman said...

Yikes! Wonder what the judge would have done if he's strangled her? And honestly I wouldn't want to go to RL with someone who had literally tried to wring my neck!

Glad to hear you're setting the bar higher. :)

Hope health is restored to you and the family quickly!

Beth Zimmerman said...

And I hope she doesn't *accidentally* drop a bowling ball on his foot!

Jax said...

Red lobster?! That cracked me up!!!

Hope the Slamdunk residence feels better soon :)

Candice said...

Hmmm, sounds like they are making light of the situation. Not sure if that is the best idea for a court...

Hope you're on the mend soon!

Clarissa Draper said...

I hope you get better soon. Thanks for the great post anyways.

Cindy Beck, author said...

Oh boy, that one's interesting. Can't say I'd want to go out to dinner with the guy who tried to wring my neck ... much less go bowling with him! :)

Hope everyone at your house is over the stomach bug!

Talli Roland said...

Haha! I'm pretty sure you can do better than that. Feel better soon!

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
I've got the Red Lobster gig coverd at ANY time...and Wifey knows that.
...AND, I still have MY bowling shoes (check).

Guess the flowers and candy can wait...LOL
(ouch)...probably not.

Good post.

Stay safe out there.

Diana said...

He shoved her against a sofa and grabbed her neck... that's not domestic violence??? Wow. I'm stunned. That's such an obvious precursor to worse things. Good luck to that wife. Hope she gets to see more birthdays.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

hahah, that is really funny. What a weird ruling. Hilarious.

But yes, he need to step it up a bit. My oh my... being court-ordered to go to Red Lobster? haha.

I hope you, Mrs. Slam Dunk and Mini-Slamdunks feel better.

Lisa said...

Um, I wonder if they had to bring a note from the restaurant and bowling alley to the judge to prove they had a romantic evening.