The Silver Moon Diamond

An advantage to having been a "blogger" for some time now is that kind readers send me information for post ideas.

In other words, I don't have to struggle for things to write about.

Long time reader and online friend "Grannye" from Arkansas sent me this news item to awaken the treasure-hunter's-fire that is buried in just about all of us:

MURFREESBORO, AR – A rough diamond found at Crater of Diamonds last March, dubbed Silver Moon, was recently cut and appraised at $21,639.

Silver Moon was a 2.44 carat diamond found by Melissa and Kenny Oliver during the “supermoon” event last March. They had a jeweler in Fayetteville (Bill Underwood of Underwood's Fine Jewelry) cut the diamond down to a 1.06 carat, pear-shaped piece.

Crater of Diamonds State Park says that a rough diamond will typically lose between 40% and 60% of its weight in the cutting process...

This is an after and before shot of the Oliver's treasure find.


Not bad, eh?

Crater of Diamonds State Park is comprised of about 37 acres of plowed field and, by surface area, is the eighth largest diamond-bearing deposit in the world.

Located in Southwest Arkansas, it is the world's only diamond-producing site open to the public, and an average of two diamonds are found each day at the park.

The best thing about Crater of Diamonds?

The park's policy is finder-keepers.

Bring your shovel, rake, and pail, because if you find a diamond, you keep it.

A few years ago, older boy and I spent some time digging at the famous diamond park. 

We did not bring home any diamonds, but had lots of fun making a mess (anyone interested in that trip is welcome to go here for the old post).

I was smart enough to include time for additional digging at a quartz mine not too far away that is open to visitors as well--knowing that the odds were against us in finding a diamond. 

With the quartz mine, we found so much, I had to pay extra to check the heavy bag of shiny rocks on the plane.

Good memories. 

Thank you to Grannye for the article.

---------------------

Have a good weekend everyone. 

37 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

I've always wanted to go there. Never had the chance. Maybe in the future. That diamond is beautiful.

Miranda Hardy said...

I've always wanted to go there. Never had the chance. Maybe in the future. That diamond is beautiful.

Maxi said...

David and I went to a similar place in North Carolina years ago…

We didn't get any diamonds either…

Blessings - Maxi

Jax said...

I never heard of that place!! But, free diamonds?? I'll go and dig. hahaha

Stephen Tremp said...

I've heard of this place and its on my To Do List. Kinda like panning for gold. Fun experience for the kids too!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

So that's what diamonds look like when they're mined. Not exactly how they look on Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. :D

Elisabeth Hirsch said...

What a cool place!

Pat Hatt said...

Never heard of that place either. But finders keepers and free diamonds, I think I need a plane ticket..haha

Matthew MacNish said...

Wow. That sounds like an incredibly fun family activity.

Clarissa Draper said...

I'll go there if the result is that! How lucky you are not to have to think of blog post ideas.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
What have they said about "One's man's dirt is another man's gold mine"?
(sounds like something from the movie: The Treasure of the Sierra Madre).

And the BEST part about YOUR find?
"You din need NO steenkin'badges!

Those folks in AR must be smilin' all the way to the bank.

Great post.

Have a fantastic weekend.
Stay safe out thetre.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

How fun is that?!?
Did you read about that sunken ship they just found off the state of Maine that is full of treasure?

Rachna Chhabria said...

The diamond is very beautiful. The place sounds cool.

Bonnie said...

Send some my way. Please? :)

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

amy b.s. said...

wow. that's pretty amazing.

Brian Miller said...

that is way cool...my boys would have a blast with this...and that is some diamond too...

Carol Kilgore said...

Those memories of the time with your son are worth more than a diamond. Although a good diamond would have been nice :)

Happy Weekend!

Theresa Milstein said...

How did I not know about this? 2 a day? Wow. That is one impressive find!

Audrey Allure said...

I haven't heard of this place before - will be sure to add this on my "must-visit" list!

Shauna Nosler said...

I don't know if you could hear my gasp from a far but WOW ... and you are so right about everyone wanting to be a treasure hunter - I want to find Atlantis!!

Secret Agent Woman said...

Wow, what a cool find. I found a pearl once in some oyster stuffing, but that's not nearly as impressive. :-)

carma said...

finders keepers - I likey!! that's quite a find

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

I actually like both versions of this diamond... And actually, me thinks I ever prefer the uncut one, looks so much more unique to me...

Nas Dean said...

What a fantastic place. now it's on my list of places to visit if ever I get the chance!

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I feel like a failure as a girl, that I've never heard of this place! Fun post... I've been gypsum mining...not nearly has financially rewarding, but it is fun to dig in the dirt and mud!

thedailydish said...

WOWZA!! Now that's my kind of park!!

I love reading stories like this - too much awfulness in the world. It makes me so happy to hear of people's lucky fortune!

Thanks for sharing!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Beautiful diamond. I saw this on the NBC nightly news last night. It takes a lot of skill to transform a diamond into that pear-shaped beauty. I would never go to a park like that to root away in the dirt for crap though. It's cool that someone can find something of worth. I'd rather play the Lotto. It costs a dollar and you have just as much a chance as striking it rich. And you don't have to spend any time doing it because they have a quick pick button.

Stephanie said...

That is just gorgeous!!

Lydia Kang said...

Talk about a treasure hunt! That was a lucrative day of diamond hunting.

Elena said...

When the kiddies were younger we took them to pan for gold somewhere...they loved it. We also dug for fairystones at Fairystone park and I think I still have a couple of the crosses. Have yet to get to Arkansas, but I hope to one day!

JoDee Luna said...

I'm a treasure hunter at heart and would love to go digging for diamonds. How intriguing!

LadyFi said...

Wow - what a great find!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Slam Dunks .. the milk signature - sounds a good place to look for creativity!

But here - what a great pass-time for you and child .. you just never know.

Did you 'see' that a painter/decorator of the first Facebook office couldn't be paid, so they paid him in shares .. worth $200 today - another post?

Cheers Hilary

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Wow! Lucky people! I'm hoping to add a diamond about 1/10 of the after size of that but I have to be on my best behavior!

Melissa Sugar said...

This sounds like a place to go. Is it really finders keepers? I want to go.

Btw, I just noticed as I started leaving this comment that everyone else was commenting about milk. I then realized your comment section is at the top of your post. There is no telling how many times I have left comments in for the wrong post that have undoubtedly left you wondering what I had been drinking. I will remember from now on.

Sarah Ahiers said...

holy cow! This is one of the coolest things i've read! I didn't know any of this about that diamon park, and i've actually never seen a pic of an uncut diamond before

ginofrater said...

I will keep the photo on my Archives.

Merci beaucoup.