Vacation Memories

This past summer, I took older boy and his five-year-old sister "Sissy" to the Green Mountain state for a three-day vacation. 

The Mrs. stayed with our youngest at the house--with his condition, he prefers day-trips that include a return to his own bed.

So, three fun-lovers enjoyed being tourists and consuming the best that Vermont has to offer; especially lots of cheese and maple syrup. 

But after all of my efforts at planning a fantastic scenic and water-filled vacation, the kids, after returning home, immediately relayed these fav "memories" to mom:

1) We Rode Escalators

I wonder if we clearly identify ourselves as rural folk when the children are overheard saying: "Look Dad, moving stairs!" and then they proceed to ride this modern technology for ten minutes?

Just for the record: we do have escalators, but the closest ones that I know about are an hour away.

2) We Bathed Every Night

Our fancy room included a jacuzzi bathtub, and the older boy discovered that he could use the complimentary shampoo to create a massive wall of suds using the power jets. 

Of course the next night, his sister had to replicate the trick and model her best Santa Claus beard.  At least a thorough end-of-the-night child cleaning was not an issue for me.

3) We Saw Flying Furniture

While returning to the hotel from an expensive visit to the Vermont Teddy Bear Company, I noticed a pickup truck loaded overloaded with personal belongings including a mattress, chairs, tables, lamps, etc. 

The driver must have only been going a short distance because saying the household items appeared to be tied hastily was an understatement.  My little internal little voice had transformed into a horror movie scream advising me to "get away," and I told the kids that my goal was to pass "moving guy" ASAP.

Of course, just as I got in  front to him, the expected occurred--older boy and Sissy watched quite a show as furniture began flying from the back of the truck and exploding on the highway's pavement.

A horrible feeling I am certain for the owner of those belongings.

_________________________________________________ 

So, I am hoping that no teacher asks our children to describe summer vacation experiences, or they may get an unwanted yet vivid description of escalators, bubbling suds, and airborne chairs. 

38 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Sounds like some great memories!

Matthew MacNish said...

I hope you had some grilled cheese and gravy fries at Nectar's in Burlington.

Miranda Hardy said...

Those are the best memories. I can imagine they will talk about it for years to come.

Stephen Tremp said...

Gotta tie those belongings down real good. I used to have a truck and people would ask me to help them move something pretty much every weekend. I'm too nice of a guy to say no. I never lost anything.

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

awww! i LOVE the memories they clung to!
it's like when they get all excited about the packaging on christmas morning and forget about the toys!
kids! too wonderful!

Pat Hatt said...

haha always the little things that amuse the most. Good thing you got by that truck too, be awful to have furniture falling on you.

Bossy Betty said...

These little things and the memories they created--well, it's just the best!

Jax said...

This post made me crack up!! Escalators? Well, little things counts, right??? haha

And the flying furniture? Good thin you got out of the way!!

Creepy Query Girl said...

LOL sounds like a quite a show and quite a vacation! Glad you had a good time!

Carol Kilgore said...

I'm always amazed by the things kids remember and the importance they place on things adults take for granted. Fun family vacation!

Pia said...

you never fail to make me laugh with posts about your family. =)

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

It sounds like quite an amusing trip!

terri said...

Those are some great memories! Just goes to show that it's not what you do, as long as you take the time to do something together.

Sarah Ahiers said...

Ugh, no thanks on their unsecured load. That is just so so dangerous.
And jacuzzi tubs are the BEST!

Diane said...

The escalator is a lot of fun for my kids too. Even an elevator will do for a little excitement. :O)

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Haha, kids!!

The thing with escalators though... I just realized I never appreciated them enough. Been always exposed to them as they're all over the metro here and kids here are usually scared of the darn thing. Why? Because the metro's crowded and there are lots of people on the escalators so you're expected to get off soon, and you're always scared you won't be able to get off soon enough and then the machine would eat you alive once your little self is tipped over by a stranger in a hurry... I used to think I would never get over that little stupid fear lol

Kimi said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to be on vacation soon. Everyone needs a little get away once in awhile.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

What vacation isn't complete with a wall of bubbles and escaping furniture, bent on destroying unsuspecting vehicles? Glad you managed to outsmart them, Slamdunk!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

As a kid, I too loved to make suds in the hot tub and to play on escalators. This post allows me to live vicariously through your kids!

Clarissa Draper said...

Moving stairs! Too funny.

I've seen furniture fly from cars before and it's because here in Mexico, safety seems to be a suggestion. I'm glad you got ahead of the car.

Beth Zimmerman said...

We live in a town with an abundance of escalators. They actually unnerve me a little but when Joe was little his idea of a fun afternoon was to drag Daddy to the mall for numerous trips up and down .... Over and over ad infinitum!

Lydia Kang said...

Ah, those awesome vacation memories.

Momma Fargo said...

Sounds like a fabulous adventure! Great memories!

jodeeluna said...

I'm a teacher, and I would find your vacation a delightful share if it came out of one of my students. What a wonderful dad you are. The Mrs. is up there on my list as well.

Diana said...

What?! They have moving stairs?!

(You know I'm kidding, right? LOL!)

Theresa Milstein said...

Wow, I'm so glad you moved out of the way in time.

It's amazing what strikes children that no longer hold excitement for us. In my old age, I avoid escalators to get some much-needed exercise.

If only I'd installed a jacuzzi when the kids were young enough to hate baths.

Maxi said...

Flying furniture, that story will be added to over the years. Would love to hear it ten years down the road (pun intended).

Blessings - Maxi

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

That sounds like a good time to me! Same thing happened to us a few weeks ago except instead of flying furniture, it was a flying tailgate!

Zuzana said...

Oh, I recall how strange and novel escalators were to us when we were kids, Growing up in the former East bloc, escalators were only present in large cities and usually only at airports. I recall my first escalator drive as anything but pleasant. I took it with my grandmother at a new built Prague underground station and we fell! I thought I woudl die, as the stairs would swallow me into the abyss below. Hihi, it makes me smile today.;))
Sounds like your kids will also recall this trip for the times to come.;)
Thanks for your kind visits and always kind comments.;)
xoxo

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

P.S. Btw, just read about Kevin Lavelle case... Couldn't find much of an info though, as I came across it while reading about his fiancee marrying him after he was killed... In a morgue. Anyway, it made me think of you and of your murder posts, as his case is still very unclear. Thought you might be interested! Or maybe you posted about it before and could give me a link?

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
That a pretty cool journey...lol

Amazing the things you see and find when you get away from it all...
(and seems like you never really left in some aspects)

Good post

Stay safe.

Shirley Wells said...

Aw, great memories.

I love the way children's minds work. When asked what she'd been given for Christmas, my then very young daughter replied "An orange". I was expecting charity donations to come flooding in for her. :)

Rachel Cotterill said...

My first real memory of escalators was in Paris, when I was about 11 or 12. Huge ones, in a big department store. I was terrified of them at first but kind of got the hang of it later :)

Secret Agent Woman said...

Moving stairs! That's cute.

Hilary said...

The teacher would think they've gone on vacation with Salvador Dali. Too funny.

Lisa said...

LOL! It's the little things that make us happy, isn't it?! :-)

Nikole Hahn said...

Oh too funny! LOL.