No Time for Humor Just Horror

Author and blogger friend Miranda Hardy left a comment on my previous post demanding humor (haha).

But before I attempt humor, I wanted to get this good old fashion horror story off of my clipboard:

The University of Nebraska at Lincoln is the latest college to face a bedbug problem in some dormitories -- an event that has been treated as a serious annoyance by students elsewhere, but hasn't led to scandals.

As The Lincoln Journal Star reported, however, a resident assistant in one housing unit reported that when she found bedbugs, she was discouraged from telling the students, and was told to tell them that her room was being remodeled, not that it was being scrubbed for bedbugs. The university denies a cover-up...
In follow-up stories, University officials seem to have dug themselves out of a hole by aggressively assessing, removing the bugs, and then regularly updating students and parents.



The final tally was 197 rooms with bug issues, and um...well.. lots of "contraband" discovered (wow, 300? I think someone is less than accurate with that total) during surprise room inspections.

Though it is unclear if the university acted inappropriately and tried to cover up the initial creepy crawler problem, one lesson is applicable:

Whatever the problem, just tell the truth and move forward. It is the cover-up that almost always results in the most damage. 

As far as the bed bugs, man, I am glad my biggest problem with my undergrad roomie was him hanging his smelly socks off my bed to air out.

 Those were the days.

25 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Diane .. those little critters are going to ruin many a sleep ... bad feet from the guys ... oh yes smelly socks - but a whole lot better than them biters. Thank goodness I'm over here - but they're here too .. cheers Hilary

Z Joya said...

that's a lot :)

Miranda Hardy said...

Yikes, that is scary. I'm not sure if I'm more afraid of the bedbugs or your roommates smelly socks. Lol

Pat Hatt said...

Yeah screw the cover up, it's ten times worse if you get caught that way. Bed bugs are just blah, glad they never came near my university either.

Anonymous said...

KILL BED BUGS 100% with HEAT the only proven method. One day one Treatment and their GONE. Affordable, Clean and Quick. Look for an exterminator using heat supplied by the BEDBUGCHASERS. http://www.BedBugChaser.com

Matthew MacNish said...

I'm much more shocked by the cover-up than I am by the grass. College campuses are one of the most common places drugs are distributed.

Elena said...

I've missed your posts, even "gross" ones like this :) Ewwww!

Clarissa Draper said...

It's scary how bed bugs are spreading. Gross! I'm glad you got up and running again though.

Stephen Tremp said...

Parasitic bugs are disgusting. I carry an extras sheet and pillow case whenever I travel and sleep in my sweats on top of the sheet.

Bob G. said...

SLamdunk:
In a freaking COLLEGE????
God almighty, that speaks volumes as to the sign of our times.
I used to think that was ONE place that didn't occur.
(well, aside from all the vomitoriums nearby aka the FRAT houses...lol)

And I really like that "lesson".

My Dad always said to NOT lie...that just complicates the problem (and doubles the punishment).
He was RIGHT...about BOTH!

Good post.

STay safe out there.

Theresa Milstein said...

Ugh, bedbugs! My sister's NYC apartment was infested.

I hope my kids don't have to worry about this when they go to college someday.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

ewwww. No bedbugs here. But we're loaded down w/ stinkbugs. Sigh.

Pia said...

is that how bed bugs look like? looks like a tiny roach which i hate the most by the way!

Creepy Query Girl said...

ewe! Actually, this is probably a problem in lots of universities. Vaccum and spray your mattresses before setting up bunk students!

Jax said...

Bed bugs skeeve me!!!! Bleh.

Did you hear the fate that my beloved Tebow is now a Jet? Sigh... What a waste of talent.

Brian Miller said...

eww man....my wife went on a trip with some co workers...and they arrived and one lady got into bed and found bed bugs...they catted out of that place quick...

Kell said...

Oh man.. I'd be pretty pissed if I didn't get the full story about bugs crawling around on my bed! That's scary.

Carol Kilgore said...

So glad you're back. I've missed your posts. Hope your desktop works better :)

Bedbugs. Yuk!

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

GROSS!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Ewwwww!!!!!!!!

We don't have bed bugs in my city. Hopefully it stays that way.

Lydia Kang said...

Ew, that's close to home. Then again, it was a big problem when I lived in NY. Thankfully it's never been a problem in my house.

Maxi said...

Oh, no. I can deal with ants and spiders … roaches, no way.

Glad you're able to breathe free again, Slam.

Blessings - Maxi

ladyfi said...

I think your roomie's smelly socks probably killed off the bed bugs...

Welcome back!

lisa said...

so glad you've returned to the blogosphere! But, suddenly I have a deep desire to go wash my bed sheets.

joon vicee said...

Great information. It’s nice to see that people still take the time to write about fields that they are interested in and have knowledge about to help people in learning more about this subject!Bed Bugs Houston