A Missing Girl and Ball Mosaic Art

You can access any of my previous missing persons posts, by clinking on this link.

Now, for today's installment of my Missing Person Monday series...
________________________________________


On February 5, 1981, fourteen-year old Dean "Deanie" Marie Peters was with her mother waiting for her little brother's wrestling practice at Forest Hills Central Middle School in Grand Rapids, MI to end.

She told her mom she was going to the restroom.

It was around 5 pm.

Instead of going to the restroom, witnesses told authorities that they saw the girl exit the gymnasium.

Deanie has not been seen since.

Police investigated whether Deanie ran away or was abducted.

They searched, but found nothing.

The case went cold.

In 2008, a grant-funded cold case squad reopened the Peters disappearance, and eventually focused on a man named Bruce Bunch.  Bunch lived in Grand Rapids at the time Deanie went missing, and was a high school junior then.

One time, Bunch had allegedly told friends that when he was in Grand Rapids, he had accidentally backed over a girl at school and then dumped her body near the Interstate off of Snow Avenue.

Unfortunately, Mr. Bunch died of a heart attack before he could be interviewed, and authorities were unable to corroborate the Snow Avenue story after searching multiple locations.

Bunch is the only suspect never to be cleared in the Peters' disappearance.

With Bunch's story (if only a part of it is accurate), it is logical to believe that if a body was transported and buried, that the act involved more than one person.
------------------

Fast forward to downtown Grand Rapids at the C.O.D.A. Gallery last Thursday (May 3, 2012), where celebrated artist John O'Hearn unveiled a mosaic in honor of Deanie's disappearance.

O'Hearn had been contacted by a group of the missing woman's friends and classmates to assist in the effort to publicize the disappearance--and he had agreed to participate.

The effort's goal is to learn where Ms. Peters' body is buried to provide closure for her family and friends.

The art unveiling event also was to include words of hope from the missing woman's younger brother.

I hope it went well.

My prayers are with those involved in the search for information, and that this sad case can be closed after 30 long years.
______________________________________________

Thanks to Sara Huizenga from Peace for the Missing for giving me the idea for this post.

Note: For those interested in learning more about artist John O'Hearn's technique called "Ball Mosaics," the following short video shows his creative process. I found it interesting.



26 comments:

oceangirl said...

Very interesting indeed though I must say I do not fully understand it. Did the computer program to draw up the picture? Amazing.

The story is sad SD.

Ciara said...

As a mom, there is nothing more frightening than a child going missing. It makes me never want to let my kids out of my sight. I hope they learn something from the new mosaic release.

Pat Hatt said...

Can't even imagine having the unknown hang over their heads for so long, hopefully they get closure.

Pat Hatt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
That is a very interesting case, and I hope that persistence will pay off for at least the family of the missing girl.

Good post.
Stay safe out there.

messymimi said...

Wow, i cannot imagine what these families go through. Let's hope they find something soon.

Matthew MacNish said...

The hardest part has to be not knowing. Having grown up in Minnesota, I'll always be reminded of Jacob Wetterling.

Janet Johnson said...

I just can't imagine the heartache of that family. The not knowing would kill me. :(

Creepy Query Girl said...

how sad. I think living your life - always wondering what happened to your love one must be so SO difficult to bare. Hope they find peace soon.

LadyFi said...

How awful! And only 14!

Lydia Kang said...

That is so sad! Too many horrors in this world, too many people going missing.

Brian Miller said...

that is a very cool partnership to get the word out...i def hope it was successful...if in nothing else than raising awareness...

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

That's been such a long time :-(

SuziCate said...

So sad. My heart breaks for all families of missing persons...unanswered questions are as bad as knowing the scenario.

SuziCate said...

So sad. My heart breaks for all families of missing persons...unanswered questions are as bad as knowing the scenario.

Christina Lee said...

Wow. This story gave me chills and brought up a local girl from my childhood--I will always remember her name. :-((((

Clarissa Draper said...

I hope they find the girl. It is a parent's worst nightmare.

BobKat said...

I was just reading about a 15 yo girl who disappeared awhile ago walking to the bus-stop, looked just like this girl. They found that girl murdered, but another girl her age is still missing. They have a suspect, but nothing more.

When I was in my 20's and 30's I was naive enough to think beautiful women and girls were "safe"... I have no idea where I got that idea because the truth is anything but.

It seems all women from age 5 up should wear full body coverings, to disguise their appearance, but they do that in Muslim countries and the result is "honor killings" and executions of rape victims.

Why would a HS Junior kill a young woman? Why would someone brag they did so accidentally, and then buried her? Who would make something like that up?

I read the news daily and I am appalled by the viciousness and lack of respect for life, human or otherwise, everyday. I am deeply saddened and confused as to how - even if it's 1 in 10,000, or 1 in 100,000 these abductions and murders occur.

I want to not read the news, or Slam Dunks "Missing Persons", but I know the truth needs to be told. It's simply, if only we taught and believed in one moral in life, above all else, maybe things would be different - "Don't Hurt/Harm Others".

But then again, I'm still pretty naive!

Blond Duck said...

That's terrifying.

Jax said...

I hope it went well too! I can't believe after all this time that break throughs are still coming. It's never too late for closure though.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

oh geez, I just can't imagine anything as disconcerning as that -
"I'm going to the restroom!" only to never be heard from again. Ah, that is so sad! How unfortunate he couldn't get interviewed before his death. I do hope this case gets some closure!

Maxi said...

Deanie Peters' mother had to be frantic when her daughter didn't return … and to this day, heartbroken.
Blessings - Maxi

Theresa Milstein said...

So sad that there's been no resolution after all this time. I hope the awareness brings a lead soon.

Momma Fargo said...

Closure is the single most important thing to families and healing. No matter what the outcome...good or bad.

Unknown said...

My heart just breaks for those families who forever hold out hope that their loved one will come home, all the while knowing in their hearts that that will never happen. I really grieve for them, and wish that it would never happen to another family. Great post on the Ball Mosaic Art, too! Very generous of the artist!!

altheasarah said...

Hi Slamdunk! I've always wondered how you are able to present complicated cases with such simplicity & I've been following you since last year. :) So... would you please accept this blog award? :)

http://altheasarah.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/im-getting-paper/